TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #751
timckelley
TCFer

My wife resisted the idea of pyTiVo at first, because she thought it would be complicated, but when I assured her it wasn't (which I assume it's not, but I guess I'll find out ), and also told her I can buy another hard drive for one of our computers if there's not enough space for videos, she signed on to the idea.

Apparently what she wants to do is take all the animated stuff that's currently scattered among her 3 TiVos and move/consolidate them to one place. In her mind, it was going to be on a 4th TiVo, but now she's agreed to store them on a computer with pyTiVo installed in lieu of a 4th TiVo.

As for seeing videos in my son's room, using the BOCS technology mentioned about sounds acceptable to her. I see you can connect up to 3 devices, and I suggested connecting all 3 of her TiVos, but she doesn't want the 3 TiVos in one room, so she just wants one TiVo hooked up to it.

On a somewhat unrelated matter, she also wants a new room added to our house, which will probably be expensive... we haven't really started the ball rolling on that yet, nor do I know the actual price, though we have talked to some contractors about it. But anyway, she says once we have more room, she'll agree to having all 3 of her TiVos together hooked to the BOCS box. I guess she thinks the house would look too crowded right now if I try to put the 3 TiVos together. Not sure I agree though... TiVos aren't that big. In fact, I have in the family room a sort of tall wooden cabinet with lots of shelves, which I think could house 3 TiVos, but I didn't get into that with her, as she's happy for the time being with distributing just one TiVo. That's fine with me, because personally I just watch my own single TiVo in the master bedroom and that's it. My one TiVo holds enough space for all my shows. Once in a while I come close to tapping out all the space on it, but when that happens, I watch some shows, or if necessary, delete unimportant ones. Also, sometimes if I find my SPs fill up NP faster than I can watch them, I reevaluate my SP list, and maybe cancel the one I least care about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #752
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

My only concern about putting three TiVos in the same space is this: how are you going to handle conflicts with the remote?

I have three TiVos in one place, but one is a Sony (different remote codes).
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #753
jrtroo
User

pytivo will not be complicated from the UI. It will give you a folder at the bottom of the to do list that lets you pull content from a PC. I have three set up: Server Movies, Server TV, and My PC. Each has subfolders for each family member for their own content. Operationally its just like pulling a show from another TiVo.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #754
timckelley
TCFer

Right now, all four of our TiVos use remote codes 1-4, so there are no conflicts. But you bring up a good question, because with BOCS technology, you use the BOCS remote to control the TiVos. I hope that remote has the ability to use remote codes like the TiVo remote does, but I should confirm that before buying any equipment.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #755
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
My wife resisted the idea of pyTiVo at first, because she thought it would be complicated, but when I assured her it wasn't (which I assume it's not, but I guess I'll find out )
From the perspective of a TiVo user, it is perfectly seamless. As jtroo mentioned, each video share (you can create as many as you like) appears at the very bottom of the Now Playing List, exactly like and just below the Deleted Items folder. How you organize those shares is entirely up to you. You can dump all the videos on the server into a single share, with or without subdirectorties, or you can create one share for kid's stuff, another for your wife, another for you personally, and one for everyone. If you want to get fancy (for you, still dead simple for her), you can even create one main share and then create shortcuts / symlinks in multiple folders. For example, you might have a main folder with the movie Get Smart. You can create a share pointing to this main folder, or not, as you see fit. In addition, however, you can also create folders named "Comedy", "Romance", "Espionage", and "Action". Then you can create 4 shares with the same respective names pointing to each respective folder. In each folder, then, you can create shortcuts / symlinks to the main file and its metafile. This way, it doesn't take up any significant amount of extra space on the hard drive, yet Get Smart appears in all four folders in the TiVo NPL. Meanwhile, doing the same sort of thing for the movie Where Eagles Dare will have it showing up in "Espionage" and "Action" (plus "War", if you like), but not "Comedy" or "Romance".

Note these also do not have to be separate shares, if you don't want them to be. They can just be sub-directories of a share. 'Very flexible.

If you *REALLY* want to get fancy, take a look at vidmgr. I was going to provide a screen shot, but my website seems to be down.

Quote:
Apparently what she wants to do is take all the animated stuff that's currently scattered among her 3 TiVos and move/consolidate them to one place. In her mind, it was going to be on a 4th TiVo, but now she's agreed to store them on a computer with pyTiVo installed in lieu of a 4th TiVo.
Absolutely. Don't forget a good backup solution.

Quote:
As for seeing videos in my son's room, using the BOCS technology mentioned about sounds acceptable to her. I see you can connect up to 3 devices, and I suggested connecting all 3 of her TiVos, but she doesn't want the 3 TiVos in one room, so she just wants one TiVo hooked up to it.
Is this for a 4th room? If so, where is it in relation to the other TiVos?

Quote:
But anyway, she says once we have more room, she'll agree to having all 3 of her TiVos together hooked to the BOCS box.
Why? I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Quote:
My one TiVo holds enough space for all my shows. Once in a while I come close to tapping out all the space on it, but when that happens, I watch some shows, or if necessary, delete unimportant ones. Also, sometimes if I find my SPs fill up NP faster than I can watch them, I reevaluate my SP list, and maybe cancel the one I least care about.
Unless the hard drive is too small (in which case I suggest a hard drive upgrade - or even if not) there is really no point in doing this.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #756
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Is this for a 4th room? If so, where is it in relation to the other TiVos?
Yes, my TiVo is in the master bedroom, and her 3 TiVos are in the family room, kitchen, and another spare room we have. She'd like to be able to watch her NP from my son's bedroom... currently that room has a TV, but no DVR in it.

Quote:
Why? I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
It's probably no big deal, but I was just thinking that if all three of her TiVos were hooked to the BOCS box (which coincidentally has the ability to handle up to 3 input devices), then she could watch anything from the NP menu of any TiVo, from any TV in the house. Admittedly, it's probably more flexibility than she currently cares about. Plus there's always HMO that lets you move shows from TiVo to TiVo anyhow. OTOH, it seems like most of the stuff on her TiVo Premier can't be moved because of some copyright protection thing on it (Time Warner has flagged most of her content as un-HMO-able.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #757
lrhorer

Quote:
Yes, my TiVo is in the master bedroom, and her 3 TiVos are in the family room, kitchen, and another spare room we have. She'd like to be able to watch her NP from my son's bedroom... currently that room has a TV, but no DVR in it.
OK, but where is it? If it is basically behind the wall where one of the TiVos sits, you might be able to simply run a cable from a secondary output of the TiVo "over the wall", as it were, to the other TV.

Quote:
It's probably no big deal, but I was just thinking that if all three of her TiVos were hooked to the BOCS box (which coincidentally has the ability to handle up to 3 input devices), then she could watch anything from the NP menu of any TiVo, from any TV in the house.
'Not all that much point in that, if you have everything you might ordinarily wish to share on the pyTivo server. In any case, it would be a cumbersome setup.

Quote:
Admittedly, it's probably more flexibility than she currently cares about. Plus there's always HMO that lets you move shows from TiVo to TiVo anyhow. OTOH, it seems like most of the stuff on her TiVo Premier can't be moved because of some copyright protection thing on it (Time Warner has flagged most of her content as un-HMO-able.)
No, which is why a Premier tends to be a poor choice if you are on a CATV system like Time Warner. They flag everything except the locals, which cannot be flagged by law. Are the other three TiVos S3 class machines? If so, then there is a solution for those units.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #758
timckelley
TCFer

No on the other side of that wall is a hallway and the closest other TiVo is on the far wall of a room on that hallway.

Her 3 TiVos are a premier and 2 S2s. I suppose I might consider trading my TiVo HD with her premier but it would probably be a hassle to switch the NP and SPs.

So for her to start watching shows in that room, pyTiVo isn't going to do it without a TiVo in there. That's why I'm considering BOCS.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #759
jrtroo
User

Are you aware of the mini that is supposed to be coming out this fall? Combined with a 4/4XL, it could dramatically simplify your set up.

It could make the most sense for you to wait on this, but set up pytivo in the meantime. Since you have TWC, copying is a limited option while streaming opens things up.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #760
timckelley
TCFer

Do I understand correctly that a mini won't work with S2's, let alone a premier? Though I suppose if it at least worked with a premier, that may be good enough for my wife. You're right that sounds simpler to set up.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #761
jrtroo
User

We are waiting to hear the specifics, but we know it should work with a premiere, but perhaps with a limited feature set initially. It could work to stream, but would not be able to borrow a tuner from the two tuner box. That is an unknown detail.

We also don't know the cost. I think many with set ups similar to yours would be looking to sell their old boxes and get a p4 with the minis. That is what I'm waiting to see from a functionality and pricing perspective.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #762
timckelley
TCFer

Well than I'm definitely keeping this in mind. I don't feel like replacing my wife's S2's, because she keeps tell me up and down how satisfied and happy she is with her S2's, and replacing them isn't cheap (especially since they're lifetimed).

But if she can stream from her Premier, that may solve her problem, and the setup sounds so much simpler with a mini vs a BOCS. By streaming from just one of her TiVos, at least she has something to watch while she folds clothes. So it sounds like I could just buy the mini, but no additional TiVo boxes if I wish.

I'd be interested in find out the price of this mini though - I hope it's not too expensive.

Also by installing pyTiVo, she can still move things from there to the Premier if she wants, and from there stream it to the clothes folding room. I wonder when they're going to announce the price tag of this mini.

Actually I wonder if my TiVoHD could also be streamed to a mini. Not that part matters or would be a deal breaker or anything.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #763
lrhorer

Quote:
Well than I'm definitely keeping this in mind. I don't feel like replacing my wife's S2's, because she keeps tell me up and down how satisfied and happy she is with her S2's, and replacing them isn't cheap (especially since they're lifetimed).
Will that still be true when Time Warner shuts off their analog channels? On a related note, you do realize the BOCS only supports SD video, right? 'Not an issue with the S2s, but with an S3 or S4, it is.

Quote:
But if she can stream from her Premier, that may solve her problem, and the setup sounds so much simpler with a mini vs a BOCS. By streaming from just one of her TiVos, at least she has something to watch while she folds clothes. So it sounds like I could just buy the mini, but no additional TiVo boxes if I wish.
Well, perhaps, but since that egg hasn't hatched, yet, I would not make any firm plans based upon the chicken.

Quote:
Also by installing pyTiVo, she can still move things from there to the Premier if she wants, and from there stream it to the clothes folding room.
That's an assumption, and it may be an unfounded one. Given the way the S3 and S4 handle online content, there's a fair chance you might not. I would says the odds are good this will be possible, but not overwhelming. OTOH, the point may be moot. The mini might be able to download video directly from the server. In fact, I suspect this is even more likely than the clumsier method of pushing first to the S4. If YouTube / Hulu / Amazon works, then a push to the mini should, as well.

Quote:
Actually I wonder if my TiVoHD could also be streamed to a mini. Not that part matters or would be a deal breaker or anything.
No. Streaming is only available on the S4. Whether MRV would work or not, I don't know, but I suspect not.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #764
timckelley
TCFer

I guess you're calling a Premier an S4 (I didn't know they were the same). I read on the BOCS that the video has to go through the red/white/yellow RCA cables. I guess I assumed that there were ports on the back of our premier for these, and that the sort of signal that goes through there is SD only (i.e. an SD version of the HD recordings), but I realize that assumption could be way off. If there is no analog output available from a TiVo Premier, then yes you're right; BOCS won't work with it. (Right now, I'm using the HDMI output to my HD monitor.) But it would still work with her two S2s, which is enough to satisfy her.

But you bring up a good point, that if Time Warner ever does away with the analog channels, and my wife starts having to depend on digital TiVos, that throws BOCS out the window, whereas TiVo mini has more future in it.

I wonder though... Even if Time Warner does away with analog, maybe there's a way to get a digital tuner that modulates the signal onto analog, so that S2's could still work, provided S2's have a way to control this digital tuner. If that is so, then her S2's, and BOCS all would have a future in the post-analog world.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #765
jrtroo
User

Comcast provided 2 free DTAs when they eliminated analog. That basically is the cable equivalent to the $40 over the air government boxes from several years ago.

It also makes the S2 boxs a single tuner tivo.

Premieres are "series 4"- completely synonymous. But a P4 is a premiere with 4 tuners.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #766
timckelley
TCFer

My wife's S2's are single tuner models, so this is okay. Her premier is a two tuner model.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #767
timckelley
TCFer

I just looked at our two computers, and mine currently has less then 35 GB free (out of a 103 GB drive) and hers has a combined 110 GB free (she has two HD totalling about 175 GB). She's thinking of moving about 200 hours of shows over to pyTiVo.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that warrants me getting more HD space. In fact, something I've always wanted to to, but never knew how to do, is to install a network file storage device. I was just googling, and found several articles about how to convert an old computer into such a device. (Example is this one)

My wife's computer is the oldest computer in the house (still has Windows XP on it), so I came up with an idea of maybe buying her a new computer, and converting her old one to a file server, and beefing up it's HD storage. I could put it right next to mine in the study, where the router is. (Her computer is in a different room). For $18, I could buy a KVM switch so that my single monitor, mouse, and keyboard could be used for both boxes.

Maybe I could find a way to even attach our laser printer to it, so that my computer doesn't always have to be left on. (I have the printer shared so she can use it, but it requires my computer be on all the time.) Of course the file server will have to be left on.

Oh well, these are my latest ideas on how to beef up our computer equipment.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #768
unitron

Quote:
I just looked at our two computers, and mine currently has less then 35 GB free (out of a 103 GB drive) and hers has a combined 110 GB free (she has two HD totalling about 175 GB). She's thinking of moving about 200 hours of shows over to pyTiVo.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that warrants me getting more HD space. In fact, something I've always wanted to to, but never knew how to do, is to install a network file storage device. I was just googling, and found several articles about how to convert an old computer into such a device. (Example is this one)

My wife's computer is the oldest computer in the house (still has Windows XP on it), so I came up with an idea of maybe buying her a new computer, and converting her old one to a file server, and beefing up it's HD storage. I could put it right next to mine in the study, where the router is. (Her computer is in a different room). For $18, I could buy a KVM switch so that my single monitor, mouse, and keyboard could be used for both boxes.

Maybe I could find a way to even attach our laser printer to it, so that my computer doesn't always have to be left on. (I have the printer shared so she can use it, but it requires my computer be on all the time.) Of course the file server will have to be left on.

Oh well, these are my latest ideas on how to beef up our computer equipment.
For what you have in mind you could probably get her a new machine and leave XP on her old one, at least for now, and run the free version of TiVo Desktop on it.

Relocate it's My TiVo Recordings folder from the C: drive where Desktop installs intself to an NTFS partition somewhere and either make it big and create subfolders to sort shows into, or make it smaller but have one or more big drives, each of which is just one big NT partition, and create shortcuts to it/them inside the MTR folder.

All of that will show up at the bottom of your Now Playing Lists, under the computer's name.

I just discovered that since my old Buffalo LS-500GL LinkStation Pro assigns itself a drive letter, or at least the NASNavigator software does, that I can put a shorcut to it in the MTR Folder and see that and access videos with TiVos as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #769
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Comcast provided 2 free DTAs when they eliminated analog. That basically is the cable equivalent to the $40 over the air government boxes from several years ago.
Quote:
My wife's S2's are single tuner models, so this is okay. Her premier is a two tuner model.
Whether TWC provides DTAs or STBs, there still is the compatibility issue. It cannot be guaranteed at this juncture the S2 will work with whatever device TWC provides, and upgrades for S2 models are not terribly likely at this point.

Also, that's not the only issue. A lot of women tend to dislike additional boxes and cables in their house.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #770
timckelley
TCFer

TiVo mini is an extra box. Still your comment about the lack of guarantee for future compatibility between Time Warned and S2's is a good argument for TiVo mini. I'm inclined to wait until they release more info on it before deciding.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #771
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Also, that's not the only issue. A lot of women tend to dislike additional boxes and cables in their house.
When my MIL sees a bunch of cabling behind AV equipment, she thinks it's a fire hazard.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #772
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
For what you have in mind you could probably get her a new machine and leave XP on her old one, at least for now, and run the free version of TiVo Desktop on it.
I strongly advise against that. It's a recipe for frustration. His proposed solution is a much, much better one. Personally, what I would propose (and use myself) is a Linux based box, but BSD is certainly workable.

Quote:
Relocate it's My TiVo Recordings folder from the C: drive where Desktop installs intself to an NTFS partition somewhere and either make it big and create subfolders to sort shows into, or make it smaller but have one or more big drives, each of which is just one big NT partition, and create shortcuts to it/them inside the MTR folder.
That's rather kludgy. First of all, even if one for some unfathomable reason decides to build a Windows server, a RAID solution is a better choice for the storage media. Secondly, Linux (or BSD in his proposal) is a much better choice for a server. Windows XP is not designed to be a server, and it does not make a good one. It is slow, kludgy, and unstable. Most server applications for Windows are expensive and often hard to manage. Attempting to run a windows workstation headlessly is problematical, and in order to accomplish much, someone is going to have to log in to the windows machine.

Quote:
I just discovered that since my old Buffalo LS-500GL LinkStation Pro assigns itself a drive letter, or at least the NASNavigator software does, that I can put a shorcut to it in the MTR Folder and see that and access videos with TiVos as well.
I'm not sure how assigning a drive letter is relevant. (For what does MTR stand?)
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #773
lrhorer

Quote:
When my MIL sees a bunch of cabling behind AV equipment, she thinks it's a fire hazard.
Yeah, I know what you mean. My sister is worried she'll get shocked by an AA battery.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #774
timckelley
TCFer

I'm kind of ashamed to disclose this, but just yesterday I learned that last month my wife spent over $200 buying DVDs for seasons she was losing from her TiVos because she's running out of space. I can't believe she's filled up that much space.

I was also fairly annoyed at those purchases. I told her that she should have told me before doing that, and I would have solved her space problem. She told me that she did tell me she was running out of space. I told her that had she told me she was about to spend money buying DVDs to replace lost shows, I would have expedited her space problem.

Yes, part of her request for a new TiVo in my son's bedroom wasn't only so she could watch shows in there.... it was also to provide extra NP space. Well, hopefully pyTiVo will solve that problem.

Today I did buy a new computer to replace her old one, but I haven't hooked it up yet, nor converted her old one to a file server, but I hope to do that soon.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 11-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #775
lrhorer

Quote:
TiVo mini is an extra box.
So is a NAS or a Video Server, for that matter, but the difference in this case is the NAS or Video server can sit out of the way (and out of view) in a closet somewhere.

Quote:
Still your comment about the lack of guarantee for future compatibility between Time Warned and S2's is a good argument for TiVo mini. I'm inclined to wait until they release more info on it before deciding.
I think that is a good idea. In the mean time, you might take a look at this thread. It's nothing like a compendium on how to build a Linux based server, but it might give you a notion of what is involved, especially if you ask questions.

Note I have assisted several people with setting up a Linux server, and every one of them have expressed pleasure at the results.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #776
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm kind of ashamed to disclose this, but just yesterday I learned that last month my wife spent over $200 buying DVDs for seasons she was losing from her TiVos because she's running out of space. I can't believe she's filled up that much space.
Oh, I certainly can. The thing that is hard to believe is spending $200 on DVDs, rather than a hard drive. $200 can purchase a 4T hard drive these days. That's the equivalent of more than 450 DVDs.

Quote:
Yes, part of her request for a new TiVo in my son's bedroom wasn't only so she could watch shows in there.... it was also to provide extra NP space. Well, hopefully pyTiVo will solve that problem.
It can under certain circumstances. First of all, anything on the S2's can be pulled right off to a server running pyTivo. A 4T hard drive will hold easily 4000 SD TV series episodes. Anything on the locally broadcast channels can also be pulled off the THD or Premier. If you choose to modify the THD, then anything from any channel can be pulled off it.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #777
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

I was also fairly annoyed at those purchases. I told her that she should have told me before doing that, and I would have solved her space problem. She told me that she did tell me she was running out of space. I told her than had she told me she was about to spend money buying DVDs to replace lost shows, I would have expedited her space problem.

Today I did buy a new computer to replace her old one, but I haven't hooked it up yet, nor converted her old on to a file server, but I hope to do that soon.
If she's never deleting stuff because she's never getting around to watching it, and then she later goes back and buy's DVDs of it because she can't stand the thought of not getting to see it (but never does go back and watch those DVDs) then nothing will fix the situation until she gives up on hoarding shows.

The real solution is likely to be get her a subscription to Hulu+ or Amazon Prime or Netflix (or a combination of all of the above) so she can cease buying DVDs and stop trying to hoard up episodes of programming on a never ending supply of TiVos (or hard-drives that are filled with recordings from same).
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #778
timckelley
TCFer

After a lot of help from people over on the HMO subforum, I've got pyTiVo running and working. I noticed my wife has 827 shows, if I'm reading the software correctly, stored on her TiVo Premier. I think a lot of them are in (gasp) Basic Quality. (I couldn't stomach that quality on my TiVo.) She even has an HD monitor hooked to her premier with basic quality content! Even though it has an expanded hard drive I installed myself, she still felt compelled to record in Basic to maximize how much stuff she can fit on it.

Now that I've got pyTiVo running, I did yesterday finally order an NAS from Amazon, along with two 3 terrabyte hard drives, which I'll probably treat as a RAID array for protection. This should seriously boost my wife's ability to save shows. She also does seem to enjoy the feature of pyTivo where you can name "shares", which are like folders to hold categories of shows in.

For now, I've set up pyTiVo to archive to a spare 74.5 GB hard drive that's sitting empty on a spare computer, and I also have another one that size that's online on our network she can overflow to if needed, but that's just to get her by until our multi-terrabytes of storage arrives from Amazon. (Well her laptop also has a 500 GB drive on it as well.)

I'd think that for now though, she can temporarily manage her shows, recording new ones, without deleting old ones. This better put a stop to her DVD buying habit. (I don't know how many she's actually been buying, because I haven't closely scrutinized our credit card statements.) When I told her about the amount of space we're getting, I suggested maybe she can feel comfortable recording in a higher quality of resolution, and she said maybe she can.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 11-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #779
lrhorer

Quote:
When I told her about the amount of space we're getting, I suggested maybe she can feel comfortable recording in a higher quality of resolution, and she said maybe she can.
ROFLMAO!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #780
timckelley
TCFer

Well, she's filled up our spare 74.5 GB hard drive and has filled up part of our other drive that size, but just in time to the rescue: Yesterday my new Sonology NAS from Amazon arrived, along with two 3TB Western Digital HDs I ordered.

Last night I hooked everything up, and the NAS is now online. For now I've created a T: drive to point to our new abundant space.

I know I've been advised to install pyTiVo directly onto the NAS, which I can look into; I just hope it won't be too complicated for me to figure out.

But for now, I could probably continue to run pyTiVo on our XP machine, and have it store videos on the NAS. I notice it made me password protect the NAS, so what I don't know yet is, when pyTiVo tries to move a video onto it, will it have trouble doing so because of the password protection?

Hopefully tonight I can test that out and see how it works. I was kind of surprised at how little this NAS's footprint is. I was expecting to put it on the floor, but instead I just put it on my desk right next to the router.

The funny thing is, my surge protector with 12 outlets now has 11 of them in use thanks to the NAS. I hope I don't have to add too my more devices to my study. (I was using 9 before, but the NAS needs one, and since my router ran out of ports, I moved my Netgear switch/hub over to my desk so that I could have more ports.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc