TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #691
allan
I survived the Mayan

Ever since I got a Weaknees super-sized Tivo, I've piled up a lot of stuff, mainly just because I can. And I watch LESS TV than I did with a smaller Tivo, partly from lack of good stuff, but largely because I know I CAN skip without losing my recordings. Eventually, I'll fill this one up, and end up in that boat.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #692
timckelley
TCFer

What I don't understand is how it doesn't bother my wife to record everything in Basic Quality. She does that to maximize how many shows she can fit on there, but it's so grainy, I'd hate Basic Quality.

I'm the other extreme.. I record everything in Best Quality, or if I can pick it up on my antenna, it gets recorded in HD quality. I also have a smaller hard drive than she, so keeping up with my space can be challenging at times, as it can fill up fast.

Since it's now been over a week since I've lived in my house (it's still being repaired), I've taken steps by deleting 2 of my SPs. They are of old shows that have reruns all the time (Bonanza and Enterprise). I can see those reruns anytime. (Amazingly I never watched Bonanza as a child, and I'm watching it now for the first time... I rather like the show.) But all the new shows I'm keeping. The new season is about to start, and my current shows are mostly HD quality, so I hope to get back to the house soon, or even I could run out of space. I probably could go at least 2 or 3 weeks before that would happen, and I don't think I'll be out that long, but on the other hand, my wife is slightly poaching on my TiVo right now. But she has nicely chosen a very low quality (probably Basic) for her shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #693
WizarDru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
no you can not get current stuff and likely things like biography are not even available at any time via Netflix and especially streaming.
Biography is available on Netflix and quite a few episodes are available for Streaming.
http://www.netflix.com/WiSearch?oq=&...phy&btn=Search

Chuck is available through Netflix, but not the latest season. Some shows, like many of Disney's kid sitcoms and TNT's shows, have their stuff on Netflix streaming BEFORE it comes to DVD/Bluray. Netflix is far better with TV shows on streaming than movies. And if she's really taking THAT LONG to watch stuff, she's better served waiting until its on Netflix and she can watch at her leisure.
WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #694
timckelley
TCFer

New problem developing. I decided to replace one of my wife's TiVos with a new one that supports HD, since more and more of our analog channels are disappearing as Time Warner slowly evolves to digital. Actually I got her the TiVo Premiere, and I still have a TiVo HD. (I need to sell her old TiVo, which I haven't done yet.)

I have a cable card in my TiVo HD, but my wife doesn't yet have one, because our house is for sale, and she'd rather wait until we move to get one, because that way we only have to pay the tech once, instead of twice, to get her TiVo going with a cable card.

Well, there's already shows on channels no longer available on analog that she wants, so lately she's been recording them on my TiVo. I didn't mind because I had a lot of space, but I'm starting to run out of space now. So I got the bright idea to move them using HMO to her TiVo. I figure she may not have a cable card, but you'd think I should be able to transfer a show I recorded with my cable card down to her TiVo.

But on every single one of her shows, I'm getting the message "Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder", whatever that is. I see a really long thread about it on the TiVoHD forum, and I skimmed through it, but I still don't really understand it, except that TiVo is passing the blame, while others blame TiVo, so I don't know whose fault it is. I just think it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that I should be able to move her shows to her TiVo, but apparently I can't do that. So my problems remain.

I wonder, by chance, if I were to get her a cable card if this message would magically go away? Maybe not.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #695
timckelley
TCFer

Well, if nothing else, if I got her a cable card, she could record her future showings on her own TiVo, so long term I guess that's a solution.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #696
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Well, if nothing else, if I got her a cable card, she could record her future showings on her own TiVo, so long term I guess that's a solution.
I looked but didn't see the thread you were referencing but it sounds like the copyright protection is probably coming down from the Cable Provider. Not much TiVo can do about that.

Getting her a cable card and her own TiVo will probably end this thread once and for all.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #697
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The restriction on transferring has nothing to do with whether yours or hers has a cablecard. It's just a fact of life with digital broadcasts. Some providers turn on the flag that only allows the show to be copied once, and that once was when you recorded it.

And I can't believe thus thread is still going.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #698
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Once he gets her a cablecard this thread will finally retire. She'll have her own TiVo and can keep all the recordings she wants.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #699
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Once he gets her a cablecard this thread will finally retire. She'll have her own TiVo and can keep all the recordings she wants.
come on guys - give him some real info.

1. come August 1st the FCC will require TWC to allow for self install of cable cards - thus ending the truck roll fee.

2. Unless he bought a premiere XL - once she starts recording the shows in HD - that hard drive is going to fill up 3 times as fast as before when recording analog SD shows.

DevdogAZ gave you the info on how it is the recording via digital channels that is adding that copy restricted flag. That will persist. However streaming between 2 premiere DVRs is being worked on and has been seen in the wild and reported on in this forum.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #700
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
come August 1st the FCC will require TWC to allow for self install of cable cards - thus ending the truck roll fee.
Wow; that's great news; the first I've heard of this. No need for me to wait for me to move to my next house then. Hopefully Time Warner acknowledges this new requirement when I call them. I know the last time I talked to them about it, which was a couple of months ago, they didn't mention anything about it, and said I'll have to pay to get the installation done.

It does seem odd that I can't transfer the shows, since I think the impression many have when we buy TiVos is that we'll be able to do this.

Quote:
Unless he bought a premiere XL - once she starts recording the shows in HD - that hard drive is going to fill up 3 times as fast as before when recording analog SD shows.
That's a good point. We haven't sold her old TiVo yet, and for now she's still using it, so the space problem isn't here yet, but I assume if I need to expand her space I can. I know on my TiVo HD, there's a way to expand space without even opening the box; supposedly you can plug more space straight into it. Maybe the same might be true on the TiVo Premier.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #701
lrhorer

Quote:
But on every single one of her shows, I'm getting the message "Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder", whatever that is.
All digital transport streams have a byte embeded in them known as the CCI byte. The value of this byte determines whether or not compliant devices are allowed to transfer videos that have this byte set to something other than 0.

There is no law requiring any device to be compliant, but in order to obtain CableLabs certification for a device, it must be compliant. The CATV company is not required to allow any user to attach a non-compliant digital receiver to their plant.

Meanwhile, the FCC mandates that all locally broadcast TV stations, when placed on the CATV lineup, must have their CCI byte set to 0. At the CATV company's discretion, they may set the CCI byte of any other regularly scheduled programming to 0x01, if they choose. Pay-per-view and VOD channels can have their CCI bytes set to 0x02 or above.

Some CATV companies, like Time Warner Cable, set all non-OTA channels to 0x02 or above.

Quote:
I wonder, by chance, if I were to get her a cable card if this message would magically go away? Maybe not.
No. TWC chooses not to allow anyone to transfer content from their line-up.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #702
lrhorer

Quote:
It does seem odd that I can't transfer the shows, since I think the impression many have when we buy TiVos is that we'll be able to do this.
This cannot be done with any un-hacked DVR.

Quote:
That's a good point. We haven't sold her old TiVo yet, and for now she's still using it, so the space problem isn't here yet, but I assume if I need to expand her space I can. I know on my TiVo HD, there's a way to expand space without even opening the box; supposedly you can plug more space straight into it. Maybe the same might be true on the TiVo Premier.
It is, but the recommended method is to upgrade the internal drive, instead.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #703
tomhorsley

I actually use this as a guide to tell myself what shows I want to watch. When it starts to seem like work to catch up on a TV program, I ask myself "Why am I watching it at all then?"
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #704
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It is, but the recommended method is to upgrade the internal drive, instead.
If that's true, I'm willing to go that route, as I've done this for S2's and an S1. Hopefully it's not harder to do on a Premier.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #705
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
If that's true, I'm willing to go that route, as I've done this for S2's and an S1. Hopefully it's not harder to do on a Premier.
just different, not harder.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #706
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
What I don't understand is how it doesn't bother my wife to record everything in Basic Quality. She does that to maximize how many shows she can fit on there, but it's so grainy, I'd hate Basic Quality............. but on the other hand, my wife is slightly poaching on my TiVo right now. But she has nicely chosen a very low quality (probably Basic) for her shows.
Still with the wife problems after 8 years?

Maybe the solution isn't technical -- have you considered Dr. Phil ?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #707
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Still with the wife problems after 8 years?

Maybe the solution isn't technical -- have you considered Dr. Phil ?
If she starts recording Dr. Phil, her hard drive will fill up even faster.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #708
bikegeek

Am I the only one that reads this thread and thinks that if wife won't delete recordings then delete wife?
bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #709
steve614
what ru lookin at?

@timckelley

Now that the wife has her own Tivo...If she is still not deleting shows, then plan on upgrading the HD or adding an external.

When you get to the point that you have to do this (and we all know you will ), I also recommend the internal upgrade to 2TB. Adding an external drive also adds another failure point.
If you have a computer with SATA ports and an optical drive, upgrading the Premiere is not that challenging if you've done upgrades yourself before.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #710
lrhorer

Quote:
just different, not harder.
Right, and not really very difficult, in any case. Anyone comfortable with opening the case on a PC should have few problems if they follow the instructions.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #711
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegeek View Post
Am I the only one that reads this thread and thinks that if wife won't delete recordings then delete wife?
I don't think her not deleting shows is grounds for expulsion. OTOHJ, if she deletes shows when she shouldn't, then it's mandatory.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #712
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If you have a computer with SATA ports and an optical drive, upgrading the Premiere is not that challenging if you've done upgrades yourself before.
One of my computers has IDE ports, and the other has SATA ports, so that sounds good. If by optical drive, you mean a DVD/CD drive, then yes I have that too. (I'm not too familiar with computer lingo.)

In my past upgrades, it's usually been to replace a failed hard drive, so I was able to get a free image off a fellow TCFer, but in this case, the drive hasn't failed, so maybe I can make my own image, assuming the process for Premiers is analagous to the process for S2s.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #713
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
In my past upgrades, it's usually been to replace a failed hard drive....
If you can do that, upgrading a Premiere w/jmfs is cake. If you're even a little unsure watch the two-part video on YouTube that completely steps you through the process... from opening the case to booting up the new drive installation.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #714
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
1. come August 1st the FCC will require TWC to allow for self install of cable cards - thus ending the truck roll fee.
A few days ago I was in my local TWC addressing my Internet problems, and brought this up. The lady said she's not aware of this change and they have no plans go stop requiring truck rolls. I told her I didn't think they have a choice in the matter when the FCC makes rulings like this. She agreed and said she figures her department will get notified at some point.

Well it was only 2 weeks from 8-1 when she said this; you'd think they'd've been notified by then. I'll probably be calling soon to ask for a nontruckrolled cable card.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #715
timckelley
TCFer

New updates. I sold my house and moved to a smaller one in late August, 2011. I thought it would be a good time to sell one of our TiVos, but my wife kept hinting she wasn't ready to sell it. Her mother got pretty mystified why we need that many TiVos, and it seemed like she was pressuring her to let me sell it. In the end, she put her foot down and said we're keeping all 4 TiVos.

So in the new house, we've got one in the master bedroom, the family room, the kitchen, and there's a room we call the "blue room" (because the walls are blue). It's really sort of my wife's media room, as that's where her huge collection of tapes and DVDs is.

Well apparently despite this bountiful amount of TiVos, her TiVo Premier is running out of space. She recently asked me to upgrade it to give her more space. Some of you in this thread recently predicted this would happen.

After researching, it did seem like (in agreement with what some of you said) that the best solution is the replace the internal drive with a 2 TB drive. I just did that last night in fact.

This morning I told my wife that she now has space to hold 291 hours of HD programming, or 2552 hours of SD programming. I further told her, that if I were she, I'd record everything in HD she can because it looks so much better. Oh by the way, her TiVo Premier is now hooked up the HD TV I had been using with my TiVo HD, and I bought a new 32 " HD TV for my TiVo.

My wife told me she might compromise and record *some* stuff in HD quality, but to be honest, she can't rule out that she'd eventually run out of space if put all in HD (which would limit her to 291 hours), so she intends to continue recording some stuff in lower quality.

BTW, she's pretty much stayed off my TiVo since we've been in this new house. As well it seems she should, since the allocation is basically

Me: 1 TiVo (dual tuner HD TiVo)
Son: 1/2 TiVo (dual tuner TiVo Premier)
Wife: 2 1/2 TiVos. (2 single tuner S2's, + 1/2 of the upgraded TiVo Premier... well, a lot more than half, since my son will only use a small fraction of the new massive amount of space I put on it)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #716
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
So... Nothing has changed...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #717
timckelley
TCFer

BTW, I used to think people who had 4 TiVos must have gone nuts and/or whacked out in the mind, and here we are among those wierdos. Well, maybe my original opinion is still correct.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #718
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
BTW, I used to think people who had 4 TiVos must have gone nuts and/or whacked out in the mind, and here we are among those wierdos. Well, maybe my original opinion is still correct.
We have three. Well two TiVos and Comcrap box for PPV's. One of these days I'm gonna upgrade both of them to "Elites" with four tuners and hopefully then my kids can have their TiVo and my wife and I can have the other one. Right now my stuff is spread across all three due to conflicts...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #719
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
So... Nothing has changed...
Well, as I noted earlier in the thread, a small amount has. When my wife's TiVo fills up, she will indeed delete recordings, because she's forced into it. She knows if she doesn't, the TiVo will stop recording, which would really bug her.

So she will actually delete recordings, if forced into it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #720
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Well, as I noted earlier in the thread, a small amount has. When my wife's TiVo fills up, she will indeed delete recordings, because she's forced into it. She knows if she doesn't, the TiVo will stop recording, which would really bug her.

So she will actually delete recordings, if forced into it.
Well technically, the TiVo would simply delete the oldest first...

ETA: Oh wait... Never mind. She saves everything "keep until I delete". Forgot that bit.