TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #601
timckelley
TCFer

5?!?!?
Update: I got an email from Amazon yesteday evening that they shipped, and the TiVoHD is estimated for arrival today.

I'd be surpised if it could ship that fast, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-24-2007 at 11:53 AM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #602
Havana Brown
Ring Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosan
My goodness. I just read this thread from beginning to end .
Excellent work for a newbie.

The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse.
Havana Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #603
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is this the longest running thread in TCF history? almost 4 1/2 years!!

Last edited by Enrique : 10-26-2007 at 05:44 AM.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #604
timckelley
TCFer

Update: two days ago, around 8 PM, I received the TiVo HD from Amazon, which was a pleasant shock to me that they shipped so fast, considering it was free shipping, and they say the price for free shipping is 3 to 5 day delay.

I hooked it up that night, and overnight imported guide data and did guided setup.

Then yesterday, I called TiVo to transfer lifetime onto it, and the guy asked me again why I was getting this done. I reminded him I had a case number, and he asked, "so is this because Phillips would have charged you a lot to fix the old TiVo?" At this point, I started to get worried that they were going to give me some flack on this issue. I told him the truth, "No, they wanted $20 to even talk to me about it, so I called TiVo and told them about the troubleshooting I'd already done. I ruled out the power supply because I bought a new one and installed it. I also ruled out the hard drives drawing too much power, because I tried disconnecting power to the HDs, and not even the fan would spin when powering up. Based the likely problem being the motherboard, your colleague went ahead and authorized this transfer, and created the case number to document it."

He then asked where I bought it, and I told him Amazon, which I also got preauthorized from TiVo inside that case number before buying it.

At this point (suspense building ) said, "Okay, that's fine. Let me see if I can do this." After a few minutes he said he thinks he successfully transfered it, and told me to wait a couple of hours to see this.

Later last night, I forced a call in to TiVo from my TiVoHD, and after doing so, I checked the system info, and
Behold! Subscription status = Lifetime!

So I've succeeded in my mission. I'm now the enviable owner of a lifetimed TiVo HD, and there was no fee to transfer my lifetime over.

On another note, I'm wondering if one reason they were so generous to me is because during the whole time before they authorized the transfer, I let them know I was happy to go through whatever channels, if necessary, to get the S1 repaired or replaced, rather than junk it and start a new activation on an S2 or S3. Had I had my heart set on an S2 or S3, they would have known they could have forced me to pay for a new activation (i.e. a monthly fee), and there was nothing I could have done about it. But in this case, they already knew they weren't going to get any monthly fee out of me, so maybe it made them more willing to authorize the transfer. I'm just speculating, wondering why some people are less successful than others in getting this sort of cooperation.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-28-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #605
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
I'm just speculating, wondering why some people are less successful than others in getting this sort of cooperation.
Nice guys do not alwasy finish last. Enjoy the TiVo HD
Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #606
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique
Is this the longest running thread in TCF history? almost 4 1/2 years!!
When it hits 1,000 posts, though, Tim will have to start a new thread. Or his wife will have to start deleting recordings.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #607
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
So.....where's the new TiVo going? Upstairs or down?

I'm curious because it seems like your wife has an uncanny knack for always negotiating the better deal for herself.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #608
timckelley
TCFer

For now, based on the fact that her series 2 has 250GB, but this new one has a bit less than that, and based on the fact that her TiVo already has all her season passes on it, we put the new one upstairs. The other argument that makes sense is that the TiVo HD comes with a built in ethernet port, and the upstairs room has an ethernet outlet already in it. I also, along with the new TiVo, bought a USB network adapter to put on the downstairs TiVo. For the time being, we're not using these, because our internet has been down for almost a week, and has been scheduled to come back up anyday now. (Maybe today if we're lucky.) If we just have to switch out the TiVos, that means I'd move the wireless adaptor to the TiVo HD, but then I'd need to buy a wired adapter for the S2.

We still haven't completely agreed on where the new TV will go whenever we get around to buying an HD TV though, but I expect the HD TiVo to follow that TV. (Post 587 shows the pros and cons of the two possible scenarios.) I'm thinking we'll eventually resume this conversation after we see some price tags. She might start to see it my way, because that's one thing we agree on - not to spend huge amounts of money.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 01-25-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #609
JYoung
Series 3

She hasn't realized that it's dual tuner yet, has she?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #610
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung
She hasn't realized that it's dual tuner yet, has she?
Good point. Just yesterday I told her how nice it was that when I pad a show out 5 minutes, causing it to want to clip an adjacent show, that clipping is no longer an issue, because it can use the dual tuners to avoid clippage.

So I guess she knows about it. So far she hasn't acted too envious.

(P.S. The fact that clipping is even available is a luxury for me, because my old S1 didn't have clipping as a feature.)

I'm also really liking the the folder feature, and it's nice when I open a folder, to see a screen devoted to the SP, with each row showing the ep name. This is so much nicer than the S1 was.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #611
old64mb

Caught up on this thread over lunch, tried not to spit anything out from laughing or shaking my head. I do hope counseling has helped, and if you're seeing one still please do mention what you did with the SP transfer. Possibly just amusing, but there could be other issues involved on your end.

On a less important note, upgrade your THD to 750 GB or 1 TB ASAP.

It will allow periodic archiving of things from your wife's S2 (with the nice equilibrium of how it takes time to do so, in which case she and you actually have to talk about it and can't do it spontaneously - important for both of you I'm betting) and more importantly you'll proactively head off any issues on how much space HD takes up - since I can easily see that coming down the pipe.

I should note that one recent petty pleasure that I had was cutting off service on the S2 I left with my now-ex once the year long S3 transfer was about to run out. She may not have even been using it recently, given she was overseas. More than likely, my generosity in keeping it going wasn't noticed as I suspect it's been in storage.

But...given the amount of grief I went through about how attached I was to Tivo, along with her screams of bloody murder if 'her' shows weren't recorded as she quickly became addicted despite continuing to complain about how I couldn't live without it...let her live without it or confront how she liked the thing too - by paying for it. The CSR and I had a good laugh about it.

Best of luck.

Last edited by old64mb : 10-30-2007 at 03:20 PM.
old64mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #612
timckelley
TCFer

At the risk of irritating some who think this thread has gone on too long, I thought it might be a good idea to post a relevant new development that's been going on. My wife has discovered our new MRV feature. (Is MRV the right term? I'm referring to the ability to move shows from one TiVo to another.)

My wife seems to enjoy watching TV at nighttime after our son goes to bed, which is also when I like to watch TV. (She used to do most of her TV watching at daytime, but this seems to have changed now.) At this time she's in our bedroom, but many times she beats me to the bedroom because sometimes I have work to do on the computer before I'm ready to retire to the bedroom to watch my TiVo.

Before, she's just watched some my shows with me, but since I've bought the TiVoHD, and also bought a wireless adapter for her TiVo S2, this means that for the first time in our lives, MRV is now available. So I've been finding more and more of her shows being transferred onto my TiVo

Now I don't blame her for wanting to watch TV in the bedroom, and I expect her to make some use of this feature. But I told her that I'd rather she only transfer what she intends to watch that night. I'd rather her not convert my TiVo into a repository for shows that she'll eventually watch.

She counters with comments that she has some shows she thinks I'll like, so she takes the liberty of moving them onto my TiVo so that I'll have the benefit of having them there. I guess sometimes she's right, but often times they're shows I really don't want. As of yesterday, I think there was a bit over a screen worth of her shows on my TiVo. We watched and/or deleted some, so now it's a bit under one screen worth.

I think I've had to remind her of the ground rules more than once in the last month, so hopefully this will sink in, but I see I should keep monitoring my TiVo, just to make sure it doesn't get out of hand with too many of her shows on it. In fact, two days ago, I was ready to go up and watch my TiVo, but she was watching one of her transferred shows and I decided I had no interest in it, so I went down to her TiVo to transfer one of my shows down to it so I could watch it.

Unfortunately, all my shows are in Best Quality, so they transfer slowly, so while I was waiting I found one of her shows that interested me, and watched it instead. (Her Now Playing is huge, so there's a fair chance that there's something on it that I'll like.)

Anyway, I think that was the only time I wanted to watch my TiVo but couldn't due to her watching something I didn't like, so it's not too bad a problem right now. I suppose one solution is to swap TiVos. Since she enjoys watching TV in the bedroom so much, that could work. But there's still a lot of my shows on my TiVo that she likes too, so this idea of swapping maybe isn't the best idea. I guess we'll stay like we are for now. Last night I told her to stop transferring shows until she watches / deletes some of what's already there.

Overall, I'm enjoying the new TiVo though. Like I said, only once die I effectively get kicked off of it, but many many nights I've been watching my own shows on my own TiVo without a problem.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #613
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Tim, if she transfers something to your TiVo, you can delete it whenever you want to. If she wants to watch it on another day, she can transfer it again. A whole screen full of stuff she might want to watch is excessive.

And start recording most things at High quality. It's a perfectly fine quality unless you have a really large television or watch high-action stuff. And it transfers faster. I get just about real-time transfers, making it possible to start transferring something and then start watching it right away.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #614
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Hey, Tim. For the record, I love your saga!

Have you established that you can do whatever you want with your Tivo? That is, delete any shows there?
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #615
janry

Time to turn MRV off except when you need it. Tell her TiVo turned the feature off due to a bug. If you wife is like mine (very lo tech), she will buy it.

Thank goodness my wife can't MRV her VCR tapes to my TiVos.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #616
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

OK- first let me say again I find it odd that the two of you can not just see the TiVo DVRs as community prperty

now since you have deisginated them as his and hers
again I am reading how she slowly creeps onto your space and starts to control it. She should just MRV the show she is going to watch but she obviously is still obsessed with keeping as many shows around as possible. She may feel out of control in delaing with your son's illness and thus seeks control in other areas. I know when my Daughter had a serious illness(all better now ) I built a big playfort in the back yard as my therapy, the one place I could control how things went as I built it from my own plans.

Now as to the specific issue of MRV - you could go into the IP settings on your TiVo and fudge it so the two do not see each other adn then set it back when you need it. A bit of hassle though.
You could do the kidzone feature I suggested a while back. There is no view of other TiVo DVRs so no MRV in Kid Zone. A simple password entered by you would let her use the full TiVo and MRV but you cancontrol the when and cut her off if needed. Of course this would be a direct confrontation of her control.

also
you could stop using BEST and use HIGH instead. there really is little visible difference but a huge difference in size and thus space on the TiVo and MRV speed. I use HIGH even on TiVo DVRs with 500 gig of space.
Which brings up the idea of getting the DVR expander for your TiVo HD to add 500 gig easy as plugging it in.

of course saving/adding sapce as always does not address the real issue of your wife always seeming to encroach no matter the setup.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #617
timckelley
TCFer

I guess you're probably right that I shouldn't be so worried about space as it's easily expandable, especially on the TiVoHD. I think yesterday I was down to 20 suggestions, so there's no certainly no crisis in progress. But sometimes I do like to have a good number of suggestions so something good is in them for me to watch, so that's part of my space concern. Also, I just wanted to make sure the one screen of her stuff doesn't turn into 2 or 3 screens, because that could be a problem.

As for why it's not community property: I think it's because she records such a huge amount of stuff, that separating our TiVos ensures I have enough space, and also that I don't have conflicts. Now that I have dual tuner, I suppose conflicts aren't nearly as big a problem as before.

But JustAllie's idea is a good one: if I wind up having too much of her stuff, I should be able to delete some with no problem, because she can always retransfer it. If it comes to that I may try that, but I think I should warn her before I actually do it.

I guess I'll try out High Quality to see what I think. Years ago, I stopped doing it because I thought Best Quality was noticably better. I guess I'll do another test and see what I think. If we get an HD TV though, I assume there's not really a way to save on space when HD content is being recorded. That would really be a test of our space management abilities if/when that happens.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #618
JYoung
Series 3

It's your TiVo, you can delete her MRVs when you want if she insists on transfering stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
OK- first let me say again I find it odd that the two of you can not just see the TiVo DVRs as community prperty
Quite a few couples have his and her TiVos.

Quote:
also
you could stop using BEST and use HIGH instead. there really is little visible difference but a huge difference in size and thus space on the TiVo and MRV speed. I use HIGH even on TiVo DVRs with 500 gig of space.
Which brings up the idea of getting the DVR expander for your TiVo HD to add 500 gig easy as plugging it in.
I used Medium quality for most shows when I watched primarily on a standard TV.

Quote:
of course saving/adding sapce as always does not address the real issue of your wife always seeming to encroach no matter the setup.
Too true.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #619
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
If we get an HD TV though, I assume there's not really a way to save on space when HD content is being recorded. That would really be a test of our space management abilities if/when that happens.
Yep.
Depending on the HD feed, a one hour show will consume 4.3 to 7.1 GB of disk space.
The stated capacity of the stock TiVo HD is 20 hours or HD recording.

(I really need to expand the drive on mine.)

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #620
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
She counters with comments that she has some shows she thinks I'll like, so she takes the liberty of moving them onto my TiVo so that I'll have the benefit of having them there.
That sounds like womanspeak to me.

I'm no expert, but I think the translation is as follows:

"I want you to start watching more shows that I like so I can feel free to fill up your TiVo."

BTW - I can't believe this thread is still alive. Is this a record?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #621
classicX
Don't scream.

Just transfer one of your shows to her TiVo for every show she transfers to yours - when her older stuff starts getting deleted early, she'll stop that quickly.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #622
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX View Post
That sounds like womanspeak to me.
WOMANSPEAK !?!?

Tim- get the Esata drive, preferably one for each unit. In this case bigger is better.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #623
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
But JustAllie's idea is a good one: if I wind up having too much of her stuff, I should be able to delete some with no problem, because she can always retransfer it. If it comes to that I may try that, but I think I should warn her before I actually do it.
You can use the network to double-check that the program is still on her other TiVo before you delete it. I think it's perfectly fair for you to delete stuff willy-nilly from your TiVo if it's still available on her TiVo. As I said, she can re-transfer it. The first time you do it, tell her that's the plan.

If she's moving, say, 5 shows to your TiVo so that you'll both have a bunch of shows to choose from to watch together that night, then do your deleting the next morning rather than just before you settle down to watch TV together.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #624
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
In this case bigger is better.
now that is Womanplainspeak

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 01-25-2008 at 03:47 PM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #625
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
In this case bigger is better.
What do you mean, "in this case?"
Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #626
mattack

Next time, on As the Tivo Turns...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #627
handy

My wife had a 40 & 80. Mine is a Toshiba 160 w/burner. After watchin a show with her one night, I mentioned that it looked terrible. She was using basic to hold everything. My solution was to upgrade both to 500 & 300. I used the old drives in my computers. Don't be scared to install them, it's easy. Life is good.
handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #628
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
WOMANSPEAK !?!?

Tim- get the Esata drive, preferably one for each unit. In this case bigger is better.
The Mrs.' TiVo is a plain Series 2 so I don't think that an eSATA drive will work without serious modification.....

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #629
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The Mrs.' TiVo is a plain Series 2 so I don't think that an eSATA drive will work without serious modification.....
true, adding a second hd to a series 2 is a bit more complicated but tim's been around so he's up to it. right tim?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #630
pilotbob

This thread clearly illustrates "Paralysis of Analysis".
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote