TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #541
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRBack
Was it solved when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I don't THINK so!
This is better than watching "Jaywalking" on The Tonight Show.

Jan (not saying "/pops popcorn" because I would choke on it when I laughed)
Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #542
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd
This is better than watching "Jaywalking" on The Tonight Show.

Jan (not saying "/pops popcorn" because I would choke on it when I laughed)
Yeah, that was hysterical. Those German bombers sure had to fly a long way.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #543
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
That sounded like a recommendation for closure to me.

I admit that sometimes I do start it back up again, when I have an update to the situation, because I've gotten impressions that many people would like updates. TCF is filled with threads where the OP comes back with updates, and it's generally welcomed.

There are plenty of other times though, that this thread has continued because somebody else has posted to it and/or asked me questions.

I'm really not sure how much salt I should put in your critique of the worthiness of this thread, because you seem to be almost alone in your criticism.

Plus the TCF newletter has declared this the second hottest thread, so who am I to argue with that?
A number of people have talked about the lifeline of this thread, I'm not alone.

Yeah you said 'second hottest thread' a few times, so congratulations, it sounds like you enjoy that. Not sure what the criteria is to make it a hot thread, but if it's new ideas and concepts, I'm afraid we're all falling a bit short there. Even you noted that people were rehashing old ideas.

But who can blame them, it's unrealistic to ask someone to sit there for hours going through 500+ posts!
RangersRBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #544
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersleeper
I have three TiVo's and have NEVER had this problem, but I only save the "Save to I delete" option only for my MUST SEE's. This setup works perfectly for us.
See here is the thing. You have to be a fan of this thread (yep, I'm one of the few), OR SIT HERE FOR HOURS AND READ EVERY POST to realize that Tim's problems actually have nothing to do with Tivo, or storage, or capacity, or deletions, or anything electronic for that matter.

People keep naively posting remedies, or solutions, and 'what worked for them'. When the truth is, NOTHING will work for TIM. Nothing whatsoever!!!

Tim could have an entire roomful of Tivos, all with unlimited capacity, and we would STILL be discussing what his wife did to the fifth Tivo from the left last night. We discuss because...he discusses.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #545
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie
Yeah, that was hysterical. Those German bombers sure had to fly a long way.
You know you're getting old when you begin to suspect that most people don't get Animal House references anymore.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #546
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Not sure what the criteria is to make it a hot thread,
have somone other than the OP continuously posting critiques oif the threads while other people see the thread pop up on the first page for the first time and thus decide to post their 2 cents and then all the regular viewers keep coming back to see what is new and before you know it you get good numbers in both the posting and views column and bingo - the software picks it up as the second hottest thread.

but maybe yours was a rhetorical question
Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 AM   #547
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
have somone other than the OP continuously posting critiques oif the threads while other people see the thread pop up on the first page for the first time and thus decide to post their 2 cents and then all the regular viewers keep coming back to see what is new and before you know it you get good numbers in both the posting and views column and bingo - the software picks it up as the second hottest thread.

but maybe yours was a rhetorical question
It was, but that poses a bigger question in the grand scheme of things...

Is a rhetorical question still rhetorical if someone answers it???

Hmmmmm
Old 02-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #548
RangersRBack

Predictions

OK it looks like this thread has finished yet another short-term run, I'm guessing it's no longer one of the 'hot topics' or whatever it was in the newsletter.

So who wants to predict when Tim will come back and tell us the latest news of what his wife is doing, or not doing?

My prediction is we hear from Tim again on May 24. He seems to be able to go three months between postings, and then he has to come in and tell us his latest Tivo/wife problems. And it starts all over again.

Your prediction?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #549
hyachts

My prediction is that you will contribute many more posts and, consequently, subtract more value from this thread than anyone, including the OP.
hyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #550
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyachts
My prediction is that you will contribute many more posts and, consequently, subtract more value from this thread than anyone, including the OP.
Value and this thread in the same sentence? Quite the stretch!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #551
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
My prediction is we hear from Tim again on May 24. He seems to be able to go three months between postings, and then he has to come in and tell us his latest Tivo/wife problems. And it starts all over again.

Your prediction?
My prediction is that you'll have to eat crow, because today is June 28th.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 AM   #552
musika

upgrade now for betterness
musika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #553
timckelley
TCFer

New development, and so time to update this thread.

For the last month, I've been having a lot of stuttering on my TiVo, so 5 days ago I finally got around to replacing the hard drive. (If anybody's interested, see this thread for the complications and problems I ran into while doing this.)

Anyway, I did this, and all was dandy and my TiVo was running really nicely with no stuttering, but then earlier tonight I was watching a show on my TiVo and right in the middle of the show, it went totally dead as if a light switch were flicked or something!

I tried unplugging and plugging back in several times and this did nothing. No drives spinning or anything, it's like there was no power. So I opened up the case, and I think the cord is good because when I plug it in, I hear a very faint clicking noise, but no spinning is happening. At this point, I don't know how to fix the problem, so I posted about my problem over on the Help forum, and am awaiting advice. Meanwhile, I'm out of commission and dead in the water.

My wife is asleep, but without her permission I just went downstairs to her TiVo and transferred all my SPs onto her TiVo. I looked at her RD list and see she has about 8 pages worth, so it looks like she's not about to run out of space in the imminent future. However, she's got a 250GB hard drive and her default quality is "High Quality" (not "Best Quality" like I use), so I kind of expected to see more than 8 pages of RD there. Her Now Playing is fairly large, and she has something like 50-60 SPs/WLs!

Oh well, hopefully I can get my TiVo fixed before space gets to be a problem on her TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-13-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:57 AM   #554
jtlytle
Un-Registered User

Can you sneak in and change the quality to BEST and pray she won't noticed?

Come visit me on my new BLOG! It's called
jtlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #555
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlytle
Good God man, are you trying to get the guy killed?
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #556
bryus

Wow, I am new to this thread because until recently I only visited the DirecTiVo thread. My wife and I managed to get by for 3 years on a 35hour DirecTiVo box. Only once in that time did we "lose" shows because we ran out of space. And, that was during the Olympics where I could only record 4-7 hour blocks.

I upgraded to a 77 hour drive earlier this year which made it a lot easier to manage our space. Then the 2nd input went bad so we switched last month to a S2 DT and cable. This has led to a new complication with space, the quality level. On the DirecTiVo everything is best quality so it's easy to count up the space remaining in hours. Now, not so much.

Still, we don't have too much trouble maintaining just one TiVo. I think a big part of this is that we tend to run 20-40 season passes. I can't believe how many people I see have 60+ season pases. I even saw someone say they had ~115 somewhere.

It makes me feel like I don't watch much TV at all.

My thought on this is that Tim's wife has strong packrat tendencies, but that they aren't dangerous because she's just filling up a hard drive with television shows. It's not like she's filling rooms with compulsive shopping.

My wife and I just avoid these problems by being critical of our recording and eliminating shows we don't watch. If it goes past 3 or 4 episodes not watched maybe we're not into it. Also, once something is watched, it's gone. I am storing movies we wanted to see on a hard drive connected to my PC while I have free HBO for six months, then we can watch those when our now playing list runs out.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #557
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlytle
When I upgraded her to 250GB, my hope was for her new space to last her a couple of years or more before it gets to be a problem, and she starts attempting to trespass onto my TiVo again.

Your idea would undermine this goal of mine, and so I'm definitely rejecting your suggestion. I'm not sure why you'd think I should do that.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-28-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #558
barbeedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
Delete her stuff and blame it on a TiVo bug!

-=Tim=-
I'll share my food and my bed, but every relationship is truly tested when one is forced to share a Tivo.

I "feel your pain"", as I have a husband with the same "don't delete anything" mantra.

Here's my suggestion, and the way I solve the problem. I have a Tivo with a DVD burner attached...I burn the shows to a DVD, and if and when he watches them is now on his shoulders. But I've "saved" them for him.

On my other Tivos that are without a burner, I transfer the shows to my PC with Tivo to Go, then burn them to DVD from there.

The option to watch shows on a computer or portable DVD viewer in the car (when waiting for kids), on trips when someone else is driving, watch some with the kids on long trips, watch while outside and the kids are running around, etc., while waiting in a Doctor or Dentist's office..you get the idea, may give your wife more of an opportunity to catch up with her viewing on her own timetable.

A gift of a portable viewer for her may be much cheaper for you than a divorce. And no one should have to suffer the stress and worry of missing his own shows with a perfectly good Tivo sitting there.

Barbeedoll
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #559
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

it seems no one read deeper into this thread when the wife had a VCR hooked up and was amassing booksehlves full opf tapes of shows she was going to catch up on someday. The lerger hard drive helped alleviate that archive problem as she was able to watch more shows before they were in danger of being deleted and at last report does not compulsively archive like she used too..

making the media more portable than a VCR might help some but does not seem to fit the family life style Tim has shown in various posts

PS to tim - I never saw any discernible difference between best and high other than the top quality setting took far more drive space for, to me, no benefit. If she went down one notch she would get a lot more hours of space on the drive
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #560
timckelley
TCFer

She still to this day does seem cured of her VHS tape amassing problem. If she were still doing it, I'd still be assembling bookshelves for her. But it's been a long time since I've done that. Still it would bug me to have a Now Playing as thick as hers, but I can see where some people might like it, because they feel it gives them a lot of variety to choose from for watching. Plus, I suppose it's kind of pointless to have 250 GB, if you don't intend to have a thick Now Playing.

By the way, a few days ago, somebody has agreed with my analysis that my TiVo is most likely suffering from a broken power supply. I'm still waiting for my 9thTee power supply I ordered.

My wife also told me yesterday that one of my SouthParks I thrust onto her TiVo was conflicting with one of her shows, so she rescheduled my ep for a different showing. (Odd as I received no conflict messages when I scheduled it.) One thing I'm worried about is that the SouthPark guide data lately has not had the actual ep name in it, so there's no guarantee that when my wife rescheduled my ep, that she actually picked the same ep or not.

I jokingly told her my shows carried higher priority than hers, and she reminded me that it's her TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-18-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #561
mearlus

A recent 'solution' occured for one of our Tivos a few months ago. The HD died That sort of taught a lesson on archiving stuff for the sake of archiving it.

What I've done to combat filling the Tivo's HD's up with 'stuff I want to keep forever' is have the wife go through the now playing and tell me what she wants kept. I think transfer it over to my desktop and once I have a bunch on their I transfer them over to my fileserver for archiving. At some point she says she'll sit down and edit/extract the clips from the videos and burn it to DVDs. (Generally Ice Skating/Sports are what she keeps)

I'm assuming the editing will be a project for me in the future :P
mearlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #562
barbeedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
it seems no one read deeper into this thread when the wife had a VCR hooked up and was amassing booksehlves full opf tapes of shows she was going to catch up on someday. The lerger hard drive helped alleviate that archive problem as she was able to watch more shows before they were in danger of being deleted and at last report does not compulsively archive like she used too..

making the media more portable than a VCR might help some but does not seem to fit the family life style Tim has shown in various posts

PS to tim - I never saw any discernible difference between best and high other than the top quality setting took far more drive space for, to me, no benefit. If she went down one notch she would get a lot more hours of space on the drive
You're right. I must not know as much about Tim's family life style as some others.

I saw the "VHS tape amassing problem" and recognized myself before I really understood all of my options with Tivo. Although it had not previously been part of my lifestyle (which was VHS tape amassing"), I now have found a solution by moving on to other viewing formats for my Tivo files. I'm only saying it is a possible answer to Tim's dilemma.

Sorry if I put too much of myself in Tim's situation. It was only a suggestion.......(Grin)

Barbeedoll
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #563
timckelley
TCFer

Speaking of VHS, my wife just asked me other the weekend about the government mandated changed signals going to digital instead of analoge. She wants to know if her stockpile of VHS tapes will still work 20 years from now. I told her as long as we have a VCR in the house, and an old-style TV, they can be hooked up to play her tapes. For all I know, even the HDTV's might accept an analog input, but I don't really know the answer to that question.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #564
headroll
Let em' Roll

Quote:
Speaking of VHS, my wife just asked me other the weekend about the government mandated changed signals going to digital instead of analoge. She wants to know if her stockpile of VHS tapes will still work 20 years from now. I told her as long as we have a VCR in the house, and an old-style TV, they can be hooked up to play her tapes. For all I know, even the HDTV's might accept an analog input, but I don't really know the answer to that question.
Unless they have turned to dust by then.

-Roll
headroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #565
kiosan

My goodness. I just read this thread from beginning to end (how sad for me) while listening to a Tivoed film I've been waiting to watch for about a month because my husband wasn't interested (in the film).

Tim, you're a good egg. Mythological even.

I don't believe I've ever seen a thread go on for so long on any BB I've been involved in. Ever. Amazing.
kiosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #566
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosan
My goodness. I just read this thread from beginning to end (how sad for me) while listening to a Tivoed film I've been waiting to watch for about a month because my husband wasn't interested (in the film).

Tim, you're a good egg. Mythological even.

I don't believe I've ever seen a thread go on for so long on any BB I've been involved in. Ever. Amazing.
It defies belief, that's for sure. Tim may be a good egg, but Mrs. Tim not so much.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #567
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Her Now Playing is fairly large, and she has something like 50-60 SPs/WLs!
There may not be a correlation between the size of the Now Playing and the number of SPs/WLs. We have around 70 on our bedroom TiVo, but that's because it's my 'Museum of Television' -- I refuse to delete shows from the Season Pass Manager that have been cancelled. About 1 in 5 list items is something that is actually still being aired (how sad is *that*?).

How long until your TiVo is fixed? This can only end badly if it doesn't return to you soon!

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #568
timckelley
TCFer

I'm expecting the new power supply tommorrow, so hopefully by tommorrow evening I can fix it. If for some reason (but recent posts in the Upgrade Forum seem to think this is unlikely) I find that my two drives are overwhelming the power supply, I'll cut back to one drive, but then I'll have to redo guided setup, which means it won't be until late Saturday before I can start recording things again on my TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #569
JaneiR36

Why not take the opportunity to upgrade to Series 2? They've got some excellent prices out right now less than $100 on both Amazon & TiVo's websites. Not sure if those prices are for new subscribers only. Since you know how to change a hard drive, you can upgrade from the 80 hour Series 2 to 250 or whatever. You've mentioned you wish you could do home networking, throw the POS away and take the chance to upgrade your box, now!

PS: First post here! New user, too. I mainly registered since I couldn't do an advanced search for one of my TiVo problems without registering. And now that I'm registered I feel the need to make pointless contributions. Wonder how many of your new members have the same problem.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #570
timckelley
TCFer

I'd consider the upgrade to series 2, but my series 1 is lifetime subscribed. Also, bad news: I put in the new power supply, and the exact same problems remain. This means the problem is not the power supply or the hard drive. I wonder if the motherboard is bad? I'm thinking of calling the manufacturer (Phillips) on Monday when they open to see if I can get some opinions on how I should proceed.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc