TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #511
RandyDtg

You can also transfer to a PC or Laptop, then even burn the files to DVD's. And then later retrieve them back to the TiVo for watching.

or get a TiVo with a big hard drive:

My 750 gig TiVo holds over 900 hours.
RandyDtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #512
hoboknj

Wife won't delete recordings

Don't ever set anything to "save until I delete". Record everything as "keep until space needed" and you will never run into this problem. Save until I delete anticipates all future programs being recorded and saved until manually deleted and therefore blocks out more time than actually needed. We had this problem with an old 30 hour box, changed all the options to delete as needed and NEVER lost a program. It makes a huge difference and is a very simple solution to free up hours of available time on your hard drive that no longer is reserved for future programs on your season pass selections.
hoboknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #513
photokev

The cheapest option may be to install a second hard drive. You could triple your storage for less than buying a second Tivo.
photokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #514
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had basically the same predicament with my kid's shows. They want to keep them forever and watch each one 137 times. So I got them their own TiVo and I use it to put my overflow on. Season passes that are causing a conflict on Tivo1 get moved to TiVo2. So it helps the kids while at the same time helping me. Win-win. Except for the extra money it all costs of course. The kids win that one.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #515
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photokev
The cheapest option may be to install a second hard drive. You could triple your storage for less than buying a second Tivo.
I refer you post 403 of this thread. I've already upgraded her TiVo, which solved our problems. She still has lots of available space on her upgraded TiVo.

The 'wife won't delete' problem, for now, has been solved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #516
TivoFan

And it only took 3 years 8 months!
TivoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #517
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFan
To be fair, most of that time there wasn't a problem. Buying a second TiVo less than a year after the first, solved the problem, but then it resurfaced last year, so then I upgraded her TiVo. I always suspected I'd need to to that.

I also talked to my wife today about her TiVoing. She still has the General Hospital SP on her TiVo, and we have the American Idol SP on my TiVo, but there are no other shows she regularly watches. She has cut way down on the swamping of her To Do List she once did. So this is why she's not backlogging anymore - she simply doesn't schedule as much stuff to watch. She claims that she's caught up on General Hospital, and also caught up on American Idol.

I asked her how she can do this. I made the analogy with other forms of addiction, like alcoholism. Normally, when an alcholic breaks the habit they must become a Tee-totaler. Imagine an alcoholic having a sip of alcohol each day, but not plunging back into their addiction. Here's my wife having her daily sips of her TiVo, but she is not plunging back into the mad swamping of her To Do List that she once did. I'm still wondering how she's doing it.

It'd be funny if one day she registers with TCF and reads this thread, and then decides to post her side of all this. (She has still never seen this thread.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #518
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboknj
Don't ever set anything to "save until I delete". Record everything as "keep until space needed" .
did all these kind people who posted all these helpful tips really think that none of them came up in the 3 years this thread has been around
Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #519
Stalyn

Smile Wife won't delete recordings

Well i solved that problem by getting 3 total tivos in my house. My youngest daughter (28) is like your wife. I got a 250 in my front room, a 40 in my daughters room and another 40 for my wife. Now everyone is happy and i can watch what i want on my tivo.
Stalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #520
steves1010

Wife won't delete recordings

I had a similar issue only our tivo is 40 hour. Since I was purchasing a new computer for my wife I did so with a multimedia package added a wireless router and tivo card then set up auto transfers to her computer from tivo. Now I'm downloading her programs that have to be saved to DVD's. I admit it's a little extreme but since I was already getting her the computer it made more sense that upgrading. Good luck.
steves1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #521
dalgar

I've just been reading through this and was having a great laugh. I can't wait until the warranty runs out on my tivo so I can start working with it. But, by that time someone will have already figured out how to make Tivo recognize external HD's on the USB. Then I can stick my terrabyte station on it! LOL.

Seriously though if I can get this PC to Tivo xfer rate issue licked I will have TONS of space. I have 2 terrabyte NAT servers and one I wanted to fill with all our old VHS movies and DVD's so we can simply pcik from a menu.

If I can't get that working I will look into the sling system or some such.
dalgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #522
timckelley
TCFer

Wow! I just got a copy of the latest issue of the TiVoCommunity newsletter. (It's emailed to all us TCFers), and this thread is second on the list of 'hot topics'.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #523
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
I asked her how she can do this. I made the analogy with other forms of addiction, like alcoholism. Normally, when an alcholic breaks the habit they must become a Tee-totaler. Imagine an alcoholic having a sip of alcohol each day, but not plunging back into their addiction. Here's my wife having her daily sips of her TiVo, but she is not plunging back into the mad swamping of her To Do List that she once did. I'm still wondering how she's doing it.
Don't be so harsh, Tim.

After all, MANY people get TiVos, fill up their To-Do Lists, and go crazy because they feel they must watch/save everything.

Most people do learn, eventually, that they don't have to watch everything and its okay to let some shows go. You learn which shows are important to you and which are not so important.

And we all have seasonal variations of too many shows to watch / nothing on the Now Playing List (or in your case, 'I've already seen all those Suggestions'). As you have explained, it was just that kind of seasonal variation that caused your space crunch.

This is just part of owning a TiVo. Maybe your family's case is extreme when compared to others, but I've never thought your situation was as dysfunctional as everyone else is making it out to be.

Jan
Old 02-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #524
timckelley
TCFer

Oh, I have retract a false statement I made earlier, and I just apologized to my wife today for making a false assumption. It turns out she never did put an American Idol SP on my TiVo. She's been scheduling each ep as it appears in the guide data and putting them in my To Do List, but she has not put in an SP. She apparently is at least respecting the ground rule against her putting SPs onto my TiVo.

But she smiled and said if I'd like the SP there, she'll put it there. Well, since we're watching the show together, and we're watching it upstairs in my TiVo room, I think it should go on my TiVo. But I think it should be 'first runs only'.

She also said she's got a bunch of movies sitting on her TiVo right now. (Remember I said there are only two shows she regularly watches now, but movies are not shows.) She knows I sometimes look for good movies and welcomed me to watch anything I see interesting on her TiVo.

It sounds like she's thinking the best use of our TiVos is not to split them into a his and hers TiVo, but instead for us to share both TiVos. I suppose I wouldn't mind that unless hers started filling up again. That's why we got two to begin with.

I'm starting to regret getting a series 1 TiVo. If the second TiVo had been series 2 like the first, I could be using HMO to move shows between TiVos. Then everybody would be happy. We could have a his and hers TiVo, but if there's something she wants to watch upstairs, she could move it to my TiVo just prior to watching it. Darn... I should have had better foresight.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #525
jdventer

Quote:
I've got an 80 hour series two TiVo. We've several season passes, with the option: "Keep until I delete". I've watched everything I want, and am ready to delete, but my wife is severely behind on watching the programs. The TiVo is almost full now, and often when I try to schedule a new program it says it can't schedule because it's out of memory.

(Actually, it's projecting that by the time the show airs, it'll be out of memory because of the "To Do" list, but as the season's really over now, the only stuff in my To Do list are 3 season passes my wife has set up for our 3 year old son -- educational cartoons. These are also "keep until I delete", but my wife has agreed to let me archive these to VHS as soon as they record. Therefore, by the time my desired shows will air, the TiVo really won't be out of memory, but it doesn't know that. A solution is for me to wait until just before the air date, and then schedule a recording.)

My wife is unwilling to delete anything, because she wants to watch it all. (There's quite a prodigious amount recorded right now.) She also doesn't know when she'll have time to watch stuff. She won't change "Keep until I delete" to an expiration date, because she can't guarantee when she'll watch the stuff. Our TiVo is effectively no longer an 80 hour TiVo, but a 6-7 hour TiVo, and it's still shrinking. Soon I'll be TiVoless. [sounds of shocked awe]. She's jeopardizing my TiVo experience. Solutions?
Record programs as Keep Until Space Needed and ask you wife to add time to recorded programs she has not watched (you can add up to 6 days) when they show up with an (!) indicating TiVo will delete them soon. This will allow you to schedule more programs to record because the TiVo will not reserve the space forever.
jdventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 AM   #526
johnscott99

Looking at 3 years and counting

My wife recorded a radio show about dodgy songs in the 1930s.

She won't delete it because she wants to write down the names of the songs and singers.

I have done this 3 times now. She keeps losing the piece of paper.

It was broadcast in October 2003.

It's harder to lose a TiVo than a piece of paper.

Tattoo?
SkyD Panasonic TU-DSB31
Humax HDR Fox T2
2002: 5 Cats, 1 chinchilla and a girl
Now: wife, daughter, 2 cats and no chinchilla.
johnscott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #527
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie
There ought to be a requirement to read the whole thread before posting.
Yeah it's pretty funny, most of these helpful suggestions have been made in one form or another sometime in this thread in the last three years and eight months. Apparently people don't want to read 500+ posts...can't imagine why!

Can you believe people are still coming up with suggestions???

Folks, it's all been done...it's all been suggested...it doesn't help.

Tim's problem CANNOT be solved electronically!!!
RangersRBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #528
donutsdad

I moved all of the exercise equipment and my wifes other "hobbies" all into the room where the tivo is....that way she is simply "there" more hours than before....

ergo..more opportunity to watch and delete...

the problem for me is that for the shows that we both watch...i have to wait till her "schedule" permits for even ME to watch those.....
donutsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #529
maximumtwo

This maybe a cheap way to solve it.

I know some people have already given this as an answer.

I have some what the same problem. You need to use TIVO Desktop. It is a free program that you down load to your computer. Your tivo and your computer become a network. By doing this you can move programs over to your computer and back again. It will explain how to do it on the TIVO website. I did it and it works great. I finally got the second TIVO with the dual tuner. Now I have them all link together and it is wonderful.

Good Luck. I hope this helps some.

Max
maximumtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #530
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumtwo
I have some what the same problem. You need to use TIVO Desktop. It is a free program that you down load to your computer. Your tivo and your computer become a network. By doing this you can move programs over to your computer and back again. It will explain how to do it on the TIVO website. I did it and it works great. I finally got the second TIVO with the dual tuner. Now I have them all link together and it is wonderful.

Good Luck. I hope this helps some.

Max
That's a nifty solution, and I might look into this if it becomes a problem again, but as I've said later in this thread, our problem is solved for now. My wife has scads of empty space on her upgraded series 2, and right now, my TiVo's NP is 100% my stuff, and 0% my wife's. Yes, we now have one joint show we watch together, but we're 100% caught up on that show.

Actually, there's really more than just that one show we watch together. There's a couple of SP's of mine I have on my TiVo, such that when I watch them, sometimes my wife is there watching it with me, but not always.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #531
Sniffy69
Thank you, TiVo

She'll NEVER get around to watching them, guaranteed. Just delete them all and go to marriage counseling about that decision later.
Sniffy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #532
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffy69
She'll NEVER get around to watching them, guaranteed. Just delete them all and go to marriage counseling about that decision later.
Which post is that in reply too? I'm starting to get a little astonished at how many comments I'm seeing that are outdated based on more recent posts.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #533
RangersRBack

Quote:
That's a nifty solution, and I might look into this if it becomes a problem again, but as I've said later in this thread, our problem is solved for now. My wife has scads of empty space on her upgraded series 2, and right now, my TiVo's NP is 100% my stuff, and 0% my wife's.
OK we can all rest easy now, Tim's problem has been solved. No need for any more solutions or suggestions. Tim and Mrs. Tim are good to go.

Here's the funny part. Read the above paragraph, and look what Tim said:

"Our problem is solved...for now".

Which means even Tim knows it's only a matter of time before he's back saying my wife did so and so and it's a problem because of so and so. I'm telling you, this thread has at least a ten year shelf life, maybe longer. The funny thing is EVERY possible solution has been proposed, but people aren't crazy enough to go back and read this entire thread, so every three months we get back on the same merry go round and throw around the same theories, and solutions.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Put me on that lise, because I keep expecting this thread to go away...and it never does!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #534
RangersRBack

Quote:
Which post is that in reply too? I'm starting to get a little astonished at how many comments I'm seeing that are outdated based on more recent posts.
Tim....newsflash:

PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO GO BACK AND READ 500+ POSTS GOING BACK ALMOST FOUR YEARS!!!

This is why thread shouldn't be four years old, and why this thread is bordering on insane. WE KEEP TALKING ABOUT THE SAME BASIC THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

And you're surprised people are rehashing old comments?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #535
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRBack
Tim....newsflash:

PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO GO BACK AND READ 500+ POSTS GOING BACK ALMOST FOUR YEARS!!!

This is why thread shouldn't be four years old, and why this thread is bordering on insane. WE KEEP TALKING ABOUT THE SAME BASIC THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

And you're surprised people are rehashing old comments?
Frankly, yes. Whenever I see a long thread, I either do the work and read before posting, or I don't post. There are many, many threads longer than this at TCF.

I am making an effort, by the way, of not talking about the same thing over and over again. So far, your the only one calling for the closing of this thread. I will indeed stop posting if (a), people stop asking me questions, and (b) there is a general agreement this thread should end.

Quote:
"Our problem is solved...for now".
Yes, it is indeed solved for now. The first time I did a TiVo upgrade (actually it was buying a new TiVo, not really an upgrade), I got 2 1/2 years of TiVo happiness out of it. The second time I did an upgrade (last year), will hopefully get me another 2 1/2 years of happiness. Or maybe, my wife is cured of her problem now.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #536
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

This thread should definitely NOT end. It's hilarious every time I open my e-mail and there are new replies.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #537
RangersRBack

Quote:
Frankly, yes. Whenever I see a long thread, I either do the work and read before posting, or I don't post. There are many, many threads longer than this at TCF.

I am making an effort, by the way, of not talking about the same thing over and over again. So far, your the only one calling for the closing of this thread. I will indeed stop posting if (a), people stop asking me questions, and (b) there is a general agreement this thread should end.
Dude I'm not asking for the thread to be closed...I never said that. I think it's pointless and ridiculous to talk about your wife and Tivo capacity issues over and over and over again for four years, but I'm not the forum police.

Besides, I get a kick out of this thread, why would I want it to be closed?

However, this thread doesn't go on and on and on because people ask you questions. You bring up your issues, we discuss them and then the thread goes away for 2-3 months...and then YOU start it up again. With a different problem regarding your wife and Tivo capacity issues.

Do you listen to the same CD over and over and over again too?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #538
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFan
Oh it's not solved...no way it's solved.

Was it solved when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I don't THINK so!

Solved would mean this thread would go away because there is nothing further to discuss. Believe me, this thread is JUST GETTING STARTED!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #539
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Dude I'm not asking for the thread to be closed...I never said that.
Quote:
This is why thread shouldn't be four years old, and why this thread is bordering on insane.
That sounded like a recommendation for closure to me.

Quote:
However, this thread doesn't go on and on and on because people ask you questions. You bring up your issues, we discuss them and then the thread goes away for 2-3 months...and then YOU start it up again.
I admit that sometimes I do start it back up again, when I have an update to the situation, because I've gotten impressions that many people would like updates. TCF is filled with threads where the OP comes back with updates, and it's generally welcomed.

There are plenty of other times though, that this thread has continued because somebody else has posted to it and/or asked me questions.

I'm really not sure how much salt I should put in your critique of the worthiness of this thread, because you seem to be almost alone in your criticism.

Plus the TCF newletter has declared this the second hottest thread, so who am I to argue with that?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 02-12-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #540
supersleeper

I have three TiVo's and have NEVER had this problem, but I only save the "Save to I delete" option only for my MUST SEE's. I think it is a matter of prioritization. two of our TiVo's are networked and they sometimes offset each other to record programming that the other cannot because it is busy. One series 2 is in our bedroom (Networked) the other is in our living room (networked) and the last series 1 (not networked) is in the kids playroom and records nothing but cartoons. This setup works perfectly for us.

Another thing you can do is delete programs that she won't notice . Believe me, she won't notice. Not many of our programs are set to "Save until I delete" but my wife too does not delete recordings. I've tried to tell her to delete the recordings after I have marked them as "save until..." but she doesn't grasp it.

Also, at some point she has to realize that she is going to miss programming just the same as if it were not deleted, because the maximum amount of programs you can save a "Save until I delete". This is actually worse, because she will miss the NEW episodes.
supersleeper is offline   Reply With Quote