TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #481
od111

Reach down between your legs to confirm your masculinity!!

Then give her a handfull of vhs tapes.

or...

Just go out and buy another Tivo!
I'm guessing she handles all the bills (as most head of housholds do)
She now has the option to return YOUR Tivo (to save some money) and must finally watch her shows. If she's not willing to compromise YOUR Tivo Stays!!!!
od111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #482
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
yah but if it cost him a dollar every time he posted he would not have posted much if at all in his thread
140 posts by Tim so far in this thread. So $140 down... a few more posts will get him a dual tuner model... Oh, and look, I just posted here twice today, costing Tim two more dollars....
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #483
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by od111
Reach down between your legs to confirm your masculinity!!

Then give her a handfull of vhs tapes.

or...

Just go out and buy another Tivo!
I'm guessing she handles all the bills (as most head of housholds do)
She now has the option to return YOUR Tivo (to save some money) and must finally watch her shows. If she's not willing to compromise YOUR Tivo Stays!!!!
Pretty sure that was suggested back in 2004...or was it 2005? I forget...so hard to keep track!
RangersRBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #484
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRBack
Pretty sure that was suggested back in 2004...or was it 2005? I forget...so hard to keep track!
both
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #485
od111

Red face

Quote:

Sorry, as you see this was my first post.

Guess I didn't go deep enough into the Tivo dramas past.

- no too sure I want to
od111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #486
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by od111
I'm guessing she handles all the bills
To tell the truth, I handle all bills, all investments, and do all the taxes.

Oh, and my wife is still off the wagon (or is it 'on the wagon'?) with her VHS problem. i.e. she is no longer archiving stuff to tapes like she once madly did. Her upgraded TiVo still has lots of space on it, and my TiVo currently has no American Idol on it, as we are both watching the eps fairly promptly after they air.

I currently have over 4 screens of Suggestions on my TiVo, so I have lots of space too. I confess that American Idol is a bit more entertaining to me that I thought at first when I watched it, so I don't really mind keeping it on my TiVo, especially since my wife wants to watch it from upstairs. Still, I would never on my own had scheduled that SP.

My wife's twin sister is also a huge fan of American Idol, and she records it on her Time Warner DVR. Last week I was over there when she was playing it, and it was my first gander at a Time Warner DVR. I did not like it as much as TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #487
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Get another TiVo - Get yourself (you deserve it) one of those new Series 3 - I got another TiVo and upgraded mine - She got my old one (500hrs) after I transfered all of her shows into it.

The kids have there own and everyone is very happy!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #488
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
My wife's twin sister is also a huge fan of American Idol, and she records it on her Time Warner DVR.
Oh no, this is new intel...your wife has a twin sister who is also armed with a DVR? Note to the world...be afraid...be very afraid.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #489
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Oh no, this is new intel...your wife has a twin sister who is also armed with a DVR? Note to the world...be afraid...be very afraid.
It's actually Tim's wife's sister's husband's DVR, of course.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #490
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie
BTW, they are still in the dark ages; i.e. one DVR for the whole house. And they have two daughters, ages 16 and 9. Maybe they'll grow up with the same personalities as my wife and their mother.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #491
QuietPower

I had the same problem with a girlfriend then i hook up tivo togo and dump all her backlogged movies to a PC.

She loves making shows do not delete
QuietPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #492
RangersRBack

Quote:
Except there's a little problem with her encroaching onto his hard drive!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #493
RangersRBack

Quote:
BTW, they are still in the dark ages; i.e. one DVR for the whole house. And they have two daughters, ages 16 and 9. Maybe they'll grow up with the same personalities as my wife and their mother.
Or maybe they do things other than watch TV...
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #494
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Or maybe they do things other than watch TV...
I typically watch about an hour per day of TV. Is that excessive? Maybe if we spent our lives watching TV, backlog wouldn't have been an issue. (Which btw, currently isn't.) Also, I do all my watching late at night, because during the day I'm doing nonTV stuff.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #495
RangersRBack

Quote:
I typically watch about an hour per day of TV. Is that excessive? Maybe if we spent our lives watching TV, backlog wouldn't have been an issue. (Which btw, currently isn't.) Also, I do all my watching late at night, because during the day I'm doing nonTV stuff.
I think we had this discussion back in 2003 or 2004, so I'm going to skip it this time.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #496
timckelley
TCFer

To be more accurate, the conversation happened less than 3 months ago, and as I recall, it ended without any point ever being demonstrated that either my wife or I watch too much TV. We spend most of our lives doing nonTV activity.

The problem this whole thread has never been that we spend too much time watching TV. If anything, it's the opposite. My wife accumulated a backlog because of how little she watched. In fact, years ago when her backlog was a problem, there was a period when she typically would watch close to zero TV, and spend most of her time simply offloading her NP list to tape.

She's changed her habits now. Now, she watches a bit more TV, so she can actually delete stuff, and she's doing practically zero archiving, and the big thing now is that she doesn't swamp her To Do List so heavily as she used to do. We'll see if that keeps up.

Still, swamping a To Do List <> watches TV.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #497
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

I don't think it's so much an issue of time spent watching TV as the fact that TV shows appear to be a source of conflict, concern, or stress. TV should be fun. It shouldn't run your life.

I do understand your concern about your wife encroaching on your TiVo space, Tim. I think you're gun-shy because she has had packrat tendencies in the past. It's really hard for her to admit that she won't watch a show and thus can delete it unwatched. The thing is that these days, a show deleted is not a show that's gone forever. There are reruns, DVD rentals, iTunes downloads, online versions from the network website, etc. It sounds like she has already started getting better about this, though. And you admit that American Idol is something you two enjoy watching together -- which makes it good TV, not bad TV. (Well, for you, anyway. )

So the issue then is that she put a season pass on your TiVo without asking you. You're thinking back to how things were in 2003 and imagine this getting worse, until your TiVo is overrun with stuff she won't delete. Maybe, instead, it'll get better, as having TiVo helps her let go of her inner packrat.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #498
RangersRBack

Quote:
To be more accurate, the conversation happened less than 3 months ago, and as I recall, it ended without any point ever being demonstrated that either my wife or I watch too much TV. We spend most of our lives doing nonTV activity.

The problem this whole thread has never been that we spend too much time watching TV. If anything, it's the opposite. My wife accumulated a backlog because of how little she watched. In fact, years ago when her backlog was a problem, there was a period when she typically would watch close to zero TV, and spend most of her time simply offloading her NP list to tape.

She's changed her habits now. Now, she watches a bit more TV, so she can actually delete stuff, and she's doing practically zero archiving, and the big thing now is that she doesn't swamp her To Do List so heavily as she used to do. We'll see if that keeps up.

Still, swamping a To Do List <> watches TV.
Dude I wasn't talking about excessive TV watching. I think we did discuss that back in 2004 or so, but that was when I was young and foolish. I'm older than that now.

I just love this thread. I love that we get updates, I love that different Tivo capacity problems keep popping up that you share with us, and I love that in 10 years we'll still be discussing your Tivo capacity problems.

I'm going to nominate you for poster of the decade!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #499
RangersRBack

Quote:
I don't think it's so much an issue of time spent watching TV as the fact that TV shows appear to be a source of conflict, concern, or stress. TV should be fun. It shouldn't run your life.

I do understand your concern about your wife encroaching on your TiVo space, Tim. I think you're gun-shy because she has had packrat tendencies in the past. It's really hard for her to admit that she won't watch a show and thus can delete it unwatched. The thing is that these days, a show deleted is not a show that's gone forever. There are reruns, DVD rentals, iTunes downloads, online versions from the network website, etc. It sounds like she has already started getting better about this, though. And you admit that American Idol is something you two enjoy watching together -- which makes it good TV, not bad TV. (Well, for you, anyway. )

So the issue then is that she put a season pass on your TiVo without asking you. You're thinking back to how things were in 2003 and imagine this getting worse, until your TiVo is overrun with stuff she won't delete. Maybe, instead, it'll get better, as having TiVo helps her let go of her inner packrat.
Wow, I'm impressed...you've been following along at home. I thought I was the only knucklehead who has been paying attention to this thread all along!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #500
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Wow, I'm impressed...you've been following along at home. I thought I was the only knucklehead who has been paying attention to this thread all along!

I didn't come in here until six months after it started, but this thread has continued to amaze me.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #501
RangersRBack

Quote:
I didn't come in here until six months after it started, but this thread has continued to amaze me.
Future post by Tim, June 22, 2013:

Even though all television is now watched through broadband connection and there is no longer any such thing as network broadcasts, my wife for some reason feels it necessary to steal my cell phone at night so she can download every episode of that long-running spinoff hit, 'Mars Idol', featuring those wacky colonists.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #502
Havana Brown
Ring Turner

This is the thread that never ends . . .

The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse.
Havana Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #503
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana Brown
If it ever reaches 1000 posts and has to be closed, we can call the follow-on thread(s) "What Is Your Wife Still Not Deleting," or WIYWSND.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #504
Leila

Question: "Wife won't delete recordings"

Answer: "Delete wife"
Leila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #505
RangersRBack

Quote:
If it ever reaches 1000 posts and has to be closed, we can call the follow-on thread(s) "What Is Your Wife Still Not Deleting," or WIYWSND.
Oh man Allie you got to have the 500th post! No fair, I NEVER get to have the 500th post!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:29 AM   #506
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana Brown
Yes, it goes on and on, my friend
Some people started writing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue writing it forever just becauseŚ

Jan (with apologies to Shari Lewis)
Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #507
wmorrison27

Use a computer for storage

If you network your TiVo to your home computer, you can send some of the programs that may not be watched for a while to cold storage if you have room on your computer's hard drive. Computer storage is cheap and you can easily add more storage to a computer by plugging in an external hard drive.

I have a computer with a large drive that I use for storing classic movies captured when they did appear on cable (like Disney flicks for the kids) that we plan to watch once in a while, but don't want to keep around plugging up limited space on my TiVo box. With Ethernet networking, I can watch a movie from the computer in real time on my TiVo. We even watch the movie ON the computer screen sometimes - which can be nice if the TiVo TV is busy.

You can even get fancy and copy the files to a DVD - which we sometimes do in preparation for a long car trip with the kids and load up with their favorite TiVo'ed shows for the car DVD player.
wmorrison27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #508
kirbinster

I was going to suggest the exact same thing that the previous poster suggested - as I do that all the time.

Another thing I do is use the dual tuner pvr that is built into my computer to record shows and then send them to the TiVo so that I can watch them on my 65" HD TV rather than on the PC. I also use a program called VideoRedo to strip out all commercials before I send the stuff to the TiVo to make it a more enjoyable viewing experience.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #509
grizel

Okay. sound sliek you dont need two tivos' you just need the one cleaned off. in our house we agreed day one that if you watch it it dies. we have very few things saved for a rainy da, just got a dvd burner so those we have held (music and comedy concerts mostly) are going to be gone soon. We're very strict about the running of the tivo, (When you have 60+ season passes on a 80 hour tivo, you have to be) suggestions are sorted every day and those we dont care about are killed instantly. We're just watchers not archivers anyway.

being I'm female myself I have to say the "get a new wife" jokes don't fly, I thought I'd chime in... here we go...

Okie:

1: get a DVD burner (I got a Lite On for $99 on pricegrabber last week - email me I'll tell you where) and start burning. or make her do it. bad thing is you kinda have to monitor it while it records (since swithcing to live is right out), so you might as well sit down and watch it. it's good to do when you are multi tasking and running around. I find a egg timer is great for next to the remote. Set it minute or two early. os you have the time to get there and are ready to hit STOP.

2: tell her the oldest stuff is dying first. No ifs and or butts. OR
every three or so days ask which SERIES saved can be killed off. She gets to choose which she really cares about.

3: send the kids to grandmas for a weekend, or you take them away on a trip, and tell her this is her ONE chance to watch/record off all her shows or they die a harsh death. Also tell her that she has to delete them when done. If she screws her chance and goes shopping witht he girls, she has to personally delete X number of hours.

4: kill everything. Even your stuff in a drastic "salting of the earth" maneuver. Say the machine was too full and it locked up so you pulled the plug and had to kill everything off in a fit of angry depseration because there was no room. lay on the guilt.

5: you *COULD* get her her own tivo - valentine's day is coming up after all, not hign says love like "Keep your **** on your own machine biatch"... just put it where ever she spends the most time in the house (office, kitchen etc...), so a new tv might be in order too. I agree though that getting her her own tivo will just encourage her to squirrel away shows for winter and you will get the above "i'm full, tivo for me" scenario. It's the "hold my handbag" of the tivo she-crowd. Is there a way to set tivo to ask for a passcode before recording (on yours?)

6: second/larger hard drive i hear is the easiest thing in the world to do almost... cheaper than buying a new one... just gives her more room to fill up though.
grizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #510
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

There ought to be a requirement to read the whole thread before posting.