TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Blitz28179

Question I am thinking about dropping cable

With the warm temperatures approaching I am thinking about dropping my cable.Will save me $70 + a month.Plus charter just had another price increase .To be honest I never hardly watch cable that much.Its just me and my son and we both watch netflix or blu rays..I do like to watch football when football season comes but those are just on standard HD local stations

If I drop my cable will I still be able to get my HD channels like cbs, nbc and abc channels through my TIVO box?

Thanks in advance!!

Blitz28179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

You are not providing the needed information to answer your question. What Tivo box do you have? Do you have an antenna available? Does your cableco offer basic network service?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Aero 1

You will if you have the proper tivo "box". I don't have cable and use my 3 tivo with an antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Blitz28179

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You are not providing the needed information to answer your question. What Tivo box do you have? Do you have an antenna available? Does your cableco offer basic network service?

My box is a tivo roamio(TiVo174 Roamio DVR SKU: 1503955 )..I do not have a HDTV antenna, I will call charter and see if they have a basic network service.(I doubt it because charter is money hungry.They dont offer cheap low tier services anymore)

Blitz28179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
kturcotte

You have a basic, 4 tuner Tivo Roamio, so it can pull in channels with an antenna. Go to tvfool.com and put your address in. That'll tell you what you can get for channels with an antenna. Depending on your location, you may be able to get by with a simple indoor antenna, you may need a giant antenna on the roof, or you may not be able to get anything. If you can get by with a small indoor antenna and get the channels you want, why pay Charter?

kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
raqball

Hi Blitz,

What you are wanting to do is exactly what I am doing.

I have the Roamio basic and use it with an antenna. I have a Mohu Leaf 50, which is an indoor antenna, and I get 47 channels.

Spend some time researching antennas and how far away from the broadcast towers you are. It will make all the difference in reception and save you frustration later on.

The best solution would be a roof mounted antenna, next would be an antenna mounted in an attic perhaps. I live in a condo so those are not options for me. If an indoor antenna is needed the Mohu Leaf 50, which is amplified, make a great choice.

Sling TV | OTA | Netflix | MLB.TV | NHL Gamecenter
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
trip1eX

Yeah grab an indoor antenna and start some trial and error because every location is unique. My experience, in 3 different homes across the country, is that I could easily get 2 of the 4 networks. And usually a 3rd was pretty good. A 4th network was always a problem with just 1 indoor antenna because the 4th broadcast tower was always in a different direction. I really couldn't pull in that 4th major network unless I moved the antenna. Obviously different antennas, more trial and error and ultimately hooking an outdoor antenna if possible might solve the problem. Or 2 Tivos and 2 antennas in different locations is something I picked up as a solution from these forums.

The people that say they get 47 channels of tv via OTA are the same people that are responsible for the 100s of channels claim that cable companies make.

Anyway why pay for cable if you don't watch it. I haven't cut the cord, but ,if I didn't watch cable, then I would look to reduce or eliminate my bill as well.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
The people that say they get 47 channels of tv via OTA are the same people that are responsible for the 100s of channels claim that cable companies make.
I actually get about 102 channels (I'm in the LA area) but many are Spanish language channels and some have serious reception issues.

The 47 I stated are watchable channels in English. True I only watch about 18 of them 47 though.. About 10 of the 47 are Church channels and about 10 of the 47 are Shopping channels neither of which I am interested in watching..

My point, is that even with an indoor antenna, I get 47 channels. If I had a roof mounted antenna I might get all 102..

Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I actually get about 102 channels (I'm in the LA area) but many are Spanish language channels and some have serious reception issues.

The 47 I stated are watchable channels in English. True I only watch about 18 of them 47 though.. About 10 of the 47 are Church channels and about 10 of the 47 are Shopping channels neither of which I am interested in watching..

My point, is that even with an indoor antenna, I get 47 channels. If I had a roof mounted antenna I might get all 102..
My point is you're the same person responsible for the 100s of channels blurb in the marketing materials of cable companies.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
My point is you're the same person responsible for the 100s of channels blurb in the marketing materials of cable companies.
Umm, okay.. Have a nice day.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
series5orpremier

Quote:
I am thinking about dropping cable
Stick it to the man. Research which streaming services could get you back some of the cable series you might miss.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
Stick it to the man. Research which streaming services could get you back some of the cable series you might miss.
Exactly. Figure out your "Must have" shows. Can you get them with an antenna? If not, does Hulu/Hulu Plus offer them? If so, are you willing to pay an extra $8 a month? Netflix may have them as well, but you'll have to wait. They usually get an entire season at once just as the next season is starting to air. If you can't wait, and/or they don't offer a "Must have" shows, you may want to stick with cable.

kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
Mikeguy

As a long time antenna/OTA guy, I always find it informative to think of cable as a yearly expense and to consider whether the service is worthwhile to me at that amount for a year. At $70/month, that's $840 per year--is the service "worth" $840/year to you or are there other things you'd rather spend $840 on?

Cable does have immediate gratification with some shows, and a wide selection of shows (depending on the extent of the cable service). A library with television DVDs for loan can help bridge that gap (albeit delayed). And especially since the analog-digital television signal conversion took place, the number of over-the-air stations has increased dramatically (albeit typically with older programming--movies and television show reruns).

By the way, there's really no magic as to an HDTV antenna. Just an antenna to pick up the OTA signal, as earlier televisions always had. And again as in earlier days, what type of antenna you need will depend on where the signals are being broadcast from--I've used simple indoor antennas for years, getting very positive results similar to that mentioned above.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
As a long time antenna/OTA guy, I always find it informative to think of cable as a yearly expense and to consider whether the service is worthwhile to me at that amount for a year. At $70/month, that's $840 per year--is the service "worth" $840/year to you or are there other things you'd rather spend $840 on?

Cable does have immediate gratification with some shows, and a wide selection of shows (depending on the extent of the cable service). A library with television DVDs for loan can help bridge that gap (albeit delayed). And especially since the analog-digital television signal conversion took place, the number of over-the-air stations has increased dramatically (albeit typically with older programming--movies and television show reruns).

By the way, there's really no magic as to an HDTV antenna. Just an antenna to pick up the OTA signal, as earlier televisions always had. And again as in earlier days, what type of antenna you need will depend on where the signals are being broadcast from--I've used simple indoor antennas for years, getting very positive results similar to that mentioned above.
For me the answer is yes. I look at the number of hours I watch non-OTA shows weekly as part of my over all entertainment and it wins. It is changing as more streaming enters the pie but not enough yet to flip the balance.

Over the last few years OTA is the loser. As we have dropped many OTA regulars such as Survivor/Amazing Race/DWTS/... They are are no longer on the season pass list.

They have been replaced with many cable shows like Justified/BCS/Shameless/...

Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz28179 View Post
My box is a tivo roamio(TiVo174 Roamio DVR SKU: 1503955 )..I do not have a HDTV antenna, I will call charter and see if they have a basic network service.(I doubt it because charter is money hungry.They dont offer cheap low tier services anymore)
Charter should be offering a "Basic" package that is basically the OTA rebroadcasts plus a few lower tier cable channels, probably called something like "Broadcast Basic".
(I think that the FCC requires it.)

They probably have it hidden away on their website but it should be there.

My parents pay Time Warner about $20-25 a month for their "Broadcast Basic" package. (Of course, that will go up soon now that Time Warner mandates boxes or cable cards for every device connected now.)

That said, the cable providers tend to compress the signal more than the OTA transmit at.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
ould be a roof mounted antenna, next would be an antenna mounted in an attic perhaps. I live in a condo so those are not options for me. If an indoor antenna is needed the Mohu Leaf 50, which is amplified, make a great choice.
I've had mixed results with the Leaf as I live in a ground floor apartment surrounded by apartment buildings but it's worth a try.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #17
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
For me the answer is yes. I look at the number of hours I watch non-OTA shows weekly as part of my over all entertainment and it wins. It is changing as more streaming enters the pie but not enough yet to flip the balance.
Absolutely understandable. For me, OTA is just ingrained in me, never having had cable growing up, and that silly $ thing figures in heavily. And so I make extensive use of my local library (a short walk away, and which I pass by daily)'s television DVD collection and interlibrary loans. Of course, that also meant that I was watching "The Sopranos" for the first time when Edie Falco started appearing in her successor series "Nurse Jackie," but that's just another form of time-shifting, in the end. And I also perfected binge-watching (via DVDs) long before it became popular.

I could see streaming changing this, though . . . .

Old 03-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
MrDell

I watch mostly over the air also and have the very basic cable line-up. The sad thing is that if you don't "bundle" cable, telephone, and internet you end up paying almost as much for one service than three. I wish there was a way around it but internet alone is almost $60.00 and internet telephone and the basic tier of cable is $95.00. So for $35.00 a month you get telephone and a few seldom watched cable channels. Unfortunately we need the land line because of a small business! ( Thought about getting Ooma)

MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Charter should be offering a "Basic" package that is basically the OTA rebroadcasts plus a few lower tier cable channels, probably called something like "Broadcast Basic".
(I think that the FCC requires it.)

They probably have it hidden away on their website but it should be there.

My parents pay Time Warner about $20-25 a month for their "Broadcast Basic" package. (Of course, that will go up soon now that Time Warner mandates boxes or cable cards for every device connected now.)

That said, the cable providers tend to compress the signal more than the OTA transmit at.
Yeah, that's another option for the OP if OTA is weak at his/her location.

Some cable providers compress more, but many pass the compressed mess straight through from the locals. DirecTV tends to take a direct feed from the station and compress it on their own, so they end up with the best PQ of all.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #20
replaytv
Princ insuficiet lit

It is easier to drop cable/dish if you think for every minute you are sitting watching TV you are hurting your body health wise. Course the same thing could be said sitting in front of your computer..... on that note, I am going to get off the computer and go out and clean out the garage!

replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #21
stlarenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Exactly. Figure out your "Must have" shows. Can you get them with an antenna? If not, does Hulu/Hulu Plus offer them? If so, are you willing to pay an extra $8 a month? Netflix may have them as well, but you'll have to wait. They usually get an entire season at once just as the next season is starting to air. If you can't wait, and/or they don't offer a "Must have" shows, you may want to stick with cable.
Our family of 5 lived pretty happily without cable for almost 2 years.

And then I realized we were eating out almost twice as often. And not fast food - but dine in places. Why? Because we just missed sports too much. We slowly got into the habit of taking the family out to dinner to watch the game. Cardinal Baseball led into Blues Hockey led into Mizzou BB. Believe me dinners for 5 like that even once a week can easily add up to a monthly cable bill.

And they turned from preteens to teens, and instead of having friends over to "watch the game" they were hanging out away from home. Nice for a while but all in all not worth it.

Now if local/regional sports REALLY don't matter to you and your family go for it. It can easily be done.

**I thought sports really didn't matter to our family. I was wrong

stlarenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #22
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlarenas View Post
Our family of 5 lived pretty happily without cable for almost 2 years.

And then I realized we were eating out almost twice as often. And not fast food - but dine in places. Why? Because we just missed sports too much. We slowly got into the habit of taking the family out to dinner to watch the game. Cardinal Baseball led into Blues Hockey led into Mizzou BB. Believe me dinners for 5 like that even once a week can easily add up to a monthly cable bill.

And they turned from preteens to teens, and instead of having friends over to "watch the game" they were hanging out away from home. Nice for a while but all in all not worth it.

Now if local/regional sports REALLY don't matter to you and your family go for it. It can easily be done.

**I thought sports really didn't matter to our family. I was wrong
When your cable bill is spread across 5 people viewing the content, it becomes much more reasonable. If you are a single person paying for cable, it's much harder to justify.

tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #23
series5orpremier

The only thing I would really miss are games of my local MLB team. The irony is if I were to move back outside their TV territory I could stream their games via MLB.TV. I can still drop cable for at least the off season and occasionally more on a season by season basis. I grew up listening to the games on the radio back in an era of sparse TV coverage and am not afraid to do that for any given season. Of course if I stopped going to the ballpark 30+ games a year I might be able to afford cable anyway.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #24
Aero 1

Quote:
The only thing I would really miss are games of my local MLB team. The irony is if I were to move back outside their TV territory I could stream their games via MLB.TV. I can still drop cable for at least the off season and occasionally more on a season by season basis. I grew up listening to the games on the radio back in an era of sparse TV coverage and am not afraid to do that for any given season. Of course if I stopped going to the ballpark 30+ games a year I might be able to afford cable anyway.

There are ways to bypass MLB TV blackouts, works great on the tivo.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #25
trip1eX

IN the end you have nothing to lose. Drop it and try it out. You can always go back. And you'll score deals from the cable provider if you're away long enough.

You could also call up your cable co and ask them if they have any deals because you're thinking of quitting and using OTA only and streaming services. If you don't like what they say then cancel on the spot. Good time to negotiate. win/win for you. Either way you'll save on your cable bill.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #26
Mikeguy

^ +1. That's how my Internet bill went down by $7/month or so and I was bumped up 2 speed tiers. As the AT&T retention rep. told me, call each year and tell them you're thinking of dropping service, at which point you'll be referred to the Retention Dep't (per mandatory internal policy), which then will offer you the deals that then are available, typically for another year, at which point, lather, rinse and repeat.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #27
connie_w

I dropped my Cox cable tv and kept internet and 2 phone lines with them. They kept raising the bill month after month. Cut my bill by 150.00 month. I had been noticing I watch local stations more often than other channels. It wasn't worth 150.00/month or 1800.00 annually for HD/DVR and 2 top tier channels. I'm happy with my antenna, I get 60 some channels, many of course I could care less about, but plenty to watch. I already was an Amazon Prime member and had subscription to Netflix.

I hear folks talking about how the retention folks at their cable company will offer deals. Well Cox seemed as though they could care less. I always paid my bill on time, too. I cut the cable at the end of December. As of yet, nobody from Cox has contacted me to try to woo me back. I'll keep my $150 per month and might just drop my phone service, as well.

connie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #28
raqball

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Yup.. I live in the LA area and am blacked out of Angels games but I've been watching them live for years with my MLB.TV subscription.

Just use a VPN.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #29
Kash76
Live TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Can you please elaborate on using a VPN service with your TiVo?

Thanks!

Former DirecTV TiVo User (ended in 2006). Ended DTV service in '15

Roamio Basic TiVo Lifetime Sub w/2TB drive using a Comcast Cablecard
2 TiVo Minis
TiVo Stream
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #30
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
Can you please elaborate on using a VPN service with your TiVo?

Thanks!
Set the VPN on your router and everything connected to it runs via the VPN.