TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Rkkeller

Thinking of stopping my TiVo service and go streaming only. Anyone else?

I have been a long time TiVo owner, you can see from all my posts and how long I been a member here, and I am "kind of sort of" debating to stop using my TiVo and go streaming and OTA antenna only.

I had a problem the other day with my OTA setup and everything that was recorded was unwatchable. I still wanted to watch the shows and I found everything I missed online streaming somewhere.

That made me think and then I signed up for a trial of Hulu and just about everything, 52 out of 57 SP's, I have a SP for is there. Even complete seasons are there so I don't need to save everything anymore. One difference is you have to watch them 1 day after they air and that is fine to me. I watch 90% network shows and the streaming quality is good enough especially for shows like that. I know some want the 4k or higher quality and I can understand that.

It was almost like I have an unlimited space DVR and I don't have to worry about making SP's or forgetting to record something as its just there. I could watch the shows anytime I want, skip, rewind, pause and all that. I can also watch them from pretty much any device, HDTV or computer and anywhere.

I know if you lose internet you can't watch anything, but I can't think of many bad things if I do this.

I realize this is a TiVo forum and a lot of you are hard core TiVo people but has anyone else done or tried this and what was your experience???

Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
If I were single I might consider it. My wife wouldn't go for it though. Although I'd likely go OTA+streaming, not streaming only.

One thing to consider with Hulu is that they usually only have the most recent 3-5 episodes of the current season of shows. So if you like to binge be careful because you might miss an episode if you don't stay on top of it.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If I were single I might consider it. My wife wouldn't go for it though. Although I'd likely go OTA+streaming, not streaming only.

One thing to consider with Hulu is that they usually only have the most recent 3-5 episodes of the current season of shows. So if you like to binge be careful because you might miss an episode if you don't stay on top of it.
If you are paying for Hulu, you get access to more episodes for most shows. Generally you get the entire current season at minimum.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Thom

I think you have it backwards. Your TiVo makes it easy to get your shows for free, with Hulu as a backup if something happens to prevent the TiVo from recording. Trying to watch each show during Hulu's free one-day window will become a pain real fast.

As a longtime TiVo user, you should have long-since calculated the money-saving benefit of lifetime, and bought a base Roamio with lifetime instead of an OTA that can't get lifetime.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Eddie501

I probably would if I didn't have the Roamio OTA with lifetime. I find the Tivo is the backup rather than the other way around.

Since Hulu began offering a commercial free plan, that's my preferred method to watch most shows. And at $12/mo it's cheaper than Tivo's monthly plan. The only hole in that is that Hulu doesn't have CBS programming. But CBS offers a standalone streaming service if you needed. Though it has forced commercials.

The other downside is that it's not nearly as easy to skip around a program as it is with Tivo. But for me personally, I don't do much of that. Especially if there aren't any commercials to skip thru.

Eddie501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
atmuscarella

VoD via streaming services versus a DVR depends on what you watch. I would say there are a few broad categories of "TV" you might be watching via OTA:
  1. Local News
  2. National News
  3. Sports
  4. New/current Prime Time TV
  5. New/current non-Prime Time TV
  6. Older TV.
If all you watch is New/Current Prime Time TV - using Hulu can replace most of it. It you watch anything else you are going to be spending more (time & money) to try and replace it from other sources and some of it you can not replace at all.

I personally want a good DVR, but I can see where others could live without one. If DVRs, traditional Pay TV, subscriptions to streaming services, pay per view rentals, etc. are worth their cost are all value determinations. Value is a personal thing, so no one can tell someone else if something is worth it for them or not. I know people who pay for nothing and are happy with live OTA TV and don't think paying for any of it is not worth it and I know people who pay for the top Pay TV package, have multiple DVRs, and sub to several streaming services and think the cost is more than worth it. Both are right.

Bottom line do what you want and don't worry about what someone else is doing. Don't be afraid to change if something isn't working the way you want or thought it would. Also remember things change and what we valued at one time maybe different than what we value at another time in our lives.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
foghorn2

Will never go streaming unless its ISO's off my server, streaming from the net, iptv sucks.

Much like music, I don't ever stream, I play the Vinyl or CD or play FLAC's I own on my server.

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
ciscokid

I believe that PlayOn works with ANY streaming service. That might be a $50 well spent addition??

ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
timckelley
TCFer

I'd totally go with OTA + some combination of internet based streaming, were it not for my wife. I'd still keep my TiVo(s) for recording the OTA stuff. I'm already setup with an attic antenna (which gets excellent reception), so this would be simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:01 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
If you are paying for Hulu, you get access to more episodes for most shows. Generally you get the entire current season at minimum.
There are several popular shows that are limited to just the last 5 episodes. Look at Scandal, Grim, Agenets of Shield, anything from CW.... They're all limited to the last 5 episodes of the current season.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 AM   #11
celtic pride

I would do it but i live 90 miles from the tv towers out of the los angeles area and after the digita switchover the local tv translator never up gradeded their equipment so i can only receive a burry nbc 1 asian channel 2 or 3 religous channels and a couple of spanish channels! WHY cant they make it easy to get a tv channel ota like you can get a cellphone signal? they should put tv towers evrywhere like they do cellphone towers! I have been thinking about buying a vhf/uhf 100 mile range tv antenna ,but i'm not sure that would work ,I live in apple valley california .

celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #12
Daveb08

I moved to Boston (renting) a little over a year ago. Only cable service available was Comcast. Initial offer was $130+ a month for Basic+ digital channel level (4 separate slots for each channel making it seem like there were over 300 channels). Included charges/rentals for modem, router, DVR's, line access, taxes, etc., etc., etc.! Soon after move in, found out they gave me 6 year old DVR with crappy, limited guide (I'm 65+). Had to go back to ASK for newer version. Turns out I got one that was 'only' 3 years old. Paid for 25gig download speed. Building is a brick, steel and metal bomb shelter. Wifi was dismal for a 2 bedroom apartment. Testing showed barely 15 on most days, never mind at night when everyone else was using it. For these gems I was paying (renting) over $20 a month, to Comcast. Eventually, replaced modem & router (payback schedule less than 1 year). Then bought TiVo Bolt. Guide issues disappeared, guide free for 12 months.So did listing of 275 multiple channels I didn't watch (thanks u TiVo). Reduced my cable bill by $30+. Felt good. 12 month Comcast intro offer ended, new bill increased by $45. Go figure.

Kept researching. Found Tablo. OTA DVR plus $4.95 monthly guide ( longer options available). Bought Amazon Fire TV (second edition) and PlayStation Vue ($30) for all the cable I need. Hooked everything up by Ethernet connection to test.

PERFECT!!!

Icing on the cake-

http://www.techhive.com/article/2972...ing-video.html

BYE Comcast! (Will still need Internet)

But, Verizon (not FIOS) coming to Boston (RCN already here).

Let the wars begin!

Old 04-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #13
Dunbar

I've considered it since my NHL viewing has been on the decline this year. I see that Sling is going to offer regional Fox Sports so it may be possible to drop TWC and still watch local hockey games. I am a Youtube Red subscriber and already about half of my viewing is Youtube videos. I would say another 30% is stuff available on Hulu, Showtime and HBO streaming. If I dropped cable I would probably get Sling TV. On paper it makes a lot of sense but it's hard to get over the mental hurdle of not being able to turn on the TV and channel surf. I expense my home internet so my TWC cable package with internet only costs me about $75 a month out of pocket so I'm not sure how much it would really save me per month. I work from home so I often have the TV running in the background during the day.

Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
neurocutie

I've tried Hulu and don't consider it "good enough", many things missing or very delayed. However adding in OTA with a decent DVR (either Tivo or my old Magnavox/Funai), I think that is close to good enough.

The wife wouldn't stand for it, though... missing sports and HSN/QVC, etc.

neurocutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #15
foghorn2

I have Amazon Prime and can stream all the Star Treks.

But do I? , NO WAY!

Played the OS Blu-Ray last night, excellent sound; when hitting angle, I was able to compare the old effects with the new cgi effects.

The Amazon streaming version lacks contrast and clarity and looks boring. Sounds like crap, no extras.

You see, the players in the industry want you to go streaming. They want to stream you crap and so you can pay month after month for the crap.

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #16
Series3Sub

As good as streaming only can be, I had my bubble burst when I found that for the shows I watch, there wasn't much available nor were they timely. However, I would say go streaming only as an experiment but do NOT cancel your TiVo yet. Wait, and if you find the streaming only option good for you, then do it.

Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #17
compnurd

I was able to convince the wife to go OTA plus streaming during the hockey off season. So far so good. 95% of what we watch is on the networks anyway. The problem she has is finding something on those off days But is catching on with finding something with Netflix or Hulu

compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:14 AM   #18
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I would do it but i live 90 miles from the tv towers out of the los angeles area and after the digita switchover the local tv translator never up gradeded their equipment so i can only receive a burry nbc 1 asian channel 2 or 3 religous channels and a couple of spanish channels! WHY cant they make it easy to get a tv channel ota like you can get a cellphone signal? they should put tv towers evrywhere like they do cellphone towers! I have been thinking about buying a vhf/uhf 100 mile range tv antenna ,but i'm not sure that would work ,I live in apple valley california .
There are a lot of places with not enough cell towers, Cell phone reception can be worse than OTA TV reception.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:17 AM   #19
tenthplanet

Quote:
There are several popular shows that are limited to just the last 5 episodes. Look at Scandal, Grim, Agenets of Shield, anything from CW.... They're all limited to the last 5 episodes of the current season.
Just like with the one month DVR limit with PS Vue, when someone comes up with a longer term cloud DVR, OTT TV starts to look a bit more attractive.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #20
abovethesink

For four of the big five, Hulu holds episodes longer than the supposed Vue "DVR". Five weeks of shows is 35 days versus 28 for Vue. Or at least it almost always is.

abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #21
rainwater

Quote:
As far as I can tell, it is only a select few shows that do that.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
convergent

Quote:

This is my situation... I would gladly do it buy my wife likes to just have the traditional TV on during the day as background. I'd rather keep the wife happy than save whatever the difference would be on cable service.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
As far as I can tell, it is only a select few shows that do that.
As far as I can tell it's every show from The CW and NBC, and some shows from ABC.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #24
mr.unnatural

While I see the attraction of streaming services, it's just not for me. I started time shifting programs using VCRs decades ago and eventually migrated to DVRs when they became available. Now I do it all with a HTPC. I would never subscribe to any service that forces me to watch shows within a specified time limit. It may take me weeks to get around to watching some shows if my schedule is too busy. The whole idea of time shifting is so I can watch my shows when I want to watch them and not when someone tells me to. I might as well go back to watching them live if that's the case.

Any service that includes commercials is automatically removed from any consideration. The whole concept of time shifting is to have the ability to skip past commercials and free up time for other things. I can't think of any purchase decisions I've ever made that were swayed by seeing a product in a commercial.

My TV bill with Verizon is probably less than $60 per month, including the rental of two cablecards. I easily spend about that much going out to dinner with the wife for just one meal so it's not a bad deal considering the content I can receive. I watch a lot of OTA primetime network TV, sporting events, and cable channels. The wife has completely different tastes and watches classic movie channels, old TV shows, Fox News, and EWTN, among others. Much of the programming we watch is unavailable via other means so it's worth the monthly cost to keep cable. My kids are grown and out of the house so my monthly expenses are much less than they used to be. Cutting cable to save a few bucks a month isn't worth the effort.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #25
series5orpremier

I have nothing against streaming as a supplement if one really must, but I'd go TiVo OTA only with no streaming before I'd go streaming only with no TiVo OTA.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #26
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
I have nothing against streaming as a supplement if one really must, but I'd go TiVo OTA only with no streaming before I'd go streaming only with no TiVo OTA.
i agree; the majority of my favorite shows are available OTA. But were we to cancel cable, I'd probably include some supplemental streaming.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #27
kika2000

I tried this for two months when my old Tivo HD died.
I just couldn't wrap my head around splashing out a big chunk of money for a new Tivo with lifetime plus cable plus internet when I felt like I wasn't even watching what I was recording.
It turns out, it wasn't right for me, but I never would have guessed at how frustrated it would make me if I hadn't tried.
I'd suggest you try sticking your Tivo in a closet for a while and seeing if you miss it. If you don't, your question is answered. If you do, how much? I thought I would save a lot more money than I actually was after I added up internet access and all of the streaming services that I wanted. For me, it didn't add up.

kika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #28
NashGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie501 View Post
I probably would if I didn't have the Roamio OTA with lifetime. I find the Tivo is the backup rather than the other way around.

Since Hulu began offering a commercial free plan, that's my preferred method to watch most shows. And at $12/mo it's cheaper than Tivo's monthly plan. The only hole in that is that Hulu doesn't have CBS programming. But CBS offers a standalone streaming service if you needed. Though it has forced commercials.

The other downside is that it's not nearly as easy to skip around a program as it is with Tivo. But for me personally, I don't do much of that. Especially if there aren't any commercials to skip thru.
If the streaming box you use has a Plex app (and just about all of them do), you can install the CBS Plex channel in Plex Media Server on your PC, Mac or NAS and then have access to the last several episodes of virtually all CBS shows in HD commercial-free that way. And it doesn't cost a dime. So that makes a nice complement to Hulu, which covers shows from NBC, ABC, Fox and The CW.

Lastly, PBS has its own free app available on just about all streaming boxes (other than TiVo) that provides recent episodes of all their content, all in HD.

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #29
HobokenSkier

Quote:
Ok thread hijack but how does hulu Work now! There is a free option?

HobokenSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #30
warrenn

A Tivo subscription for only OTA can be seen as a little expensive for the value it provides. If you have hundreds of cable channels, then it certainly makes sense. But when you can spend $8-11/mo for Hulu and get most of what you might watch on OTA, it's less clear that the OTA Tivo subscription is a good value.

Whether it works for you probably depends on how flexible you are about what you watch. Not every show will be on Hulu or other streaming services. Also, using ff/rew with streaming services is inconsistent and can be frustrating at times.

But if money is no object, then a Tivo is great. I have a lifetime Tivo for OTA and it's a great experience. I hope it doesn't die because I'm not sure what I'd do for OTA after that.

If you go streaming, be sure to add the apps for the networks. Some will allow you to easily stream (Fox? PBS? ...), but others will only allow you stream if you also have a cable subscription (ABC? CNN? TBS?).

warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote