TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
unitron

Double check your Season Passes

Had an SP for the local 6 PM news on an S3 or S3 HD. Either way it says Rovi at the bottom of the guide now instead of Trib Media.

Recording History said not recorded because no episodes in guide.

But there were.

Same name as before, so it wasn't that, so apparently something other than the program name gets looked at by the TiVo and that something changed when the data source switched from Trib Media to Rovi.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Had an SP for the local 6 PM news on an S3 or S3 HD. Either way it says Rovi at the bottom of the guide now instead of Trib Media.

Recording History said not recorded because no episodes in guide.

But there were.

Same name as before, so it wasn't that, so apparently something other than the program name gets looked at by the TiVo and that something changed when the data source switched from Trib Media to Rovi.
Had the same issue with a local news broadcast. Exact name, but recording not scheduled. I caught it before I missed it and simply set a new one pass for it. Must be some hidden id number.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
atmuscarella

Yes several people (including me) have mentioned the 6:00pm local news issue with old one passes.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
12/15 - Bolt
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Craig in PA

F Rovi.

Craig in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
moyekj

Here's an example of another:
American Horror Story

OnePass created last year for it on my Elite didn't work to pick up this season's episodes automatically. Despite same title the collectionId changed and was not updated by TiVo in Rovi transition, so as a result didn't work to pick up new episodes.

With Gracenote:
Title = "American Horror Story"
"collectionId": "tivo:cl.193655221",

With Rovi:
"collectionId": "tivo:cl.360430556",

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
American Horror Story

OnePass created last year for it on my Elite didn't work to pick up this season's episodes automatically. Despite same title the collectionId changed and was not updated by TiVo in Rovi transition, so as a result didn't work to pick up new episodes.

With Gracenote:

With Rovi:
Even a search for American horror story wouldn't pick up the new one

alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
mattack

Even after the to be announced issue was fixed (at least regarding late night talk shows), they were not being set to record.. I didn't let it sit for a day to see if it would fix itself, I set them to manually record...

mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Even after the to be announced issue was fixed (at least regarding late night talk shows), they were not being set to record.. I didn't let it sit for a day to see if it would fix itself, I set them to manually record...
That issue has been fixed as of today. Late night shows this week have OADs.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Although to be fair, last season's American Horror Story SP/OP has never picked up the next season...TiVo has always treated each season as if it were a different show.

And the search function has been very quirky since it was changed a few years ago. American Horror Story is one that I recall having difficulty with in the past.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #10
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
American Horror Story

With Gracenote:

With Rovi:
With past seasons and Tribune guide data, we always had to set up a new SP/1P each year and the show title was different each year. I did notice that it is now only showing American Horror Story in the guide/ToDo as the title although when I originally searched and set it up it showed American Horror Story: The Mist (which would have been like past seasons).

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The actual title seems to be "American Horror Story: My Roanoke Nightmare" (at least, that's what they showed going into commercials). They didn't officially release ANY information about this season before the premiere, so I guess the data had to just have the generic title. I wouldn't be surprised if the real subtitle gets added soon.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #12
BigJimOutlaw

Hell's Kitchen is about to start again. The description of the onepass was in Spanish, and it didn't see the new episode. Had to recreate it.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
chicagobrownblue

Wow. In the past Tivo would err on the side of recording something rather not recording it. This did cause problems with my local news but I found a fix. Not recording something makes a TiVo DVR-ish.

I'm backing up programs from my Roamio to my computer. I now notice that the episode description says "*Copyright Rovi, Inc."

chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I suspect that part of a long-term fix for the guide data issues is going to have to be (another) new version of the TiVo software, to accommodate the differences in the way Rovi apparently structures its data (since Rovi has plenty of other customers, simply changing the data itself probably isn't an option).

Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #15
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I suspect that part of a long-term fix for the guide data issues is going to have to be (another) new version of the TiVo software, to accommodate the differences in the way Rovi apparently structures its data (since Rovi has plenty of other customers, simply changing the data itself probably isn't an option).
TiVo is already changing the data before it comes to TiVo boxes. They did the same with gracenote. It is much easier to modify the data on the server with automated actions than rewriting TiVo software and updating all of the boxes. Sure, they may need to do some software updates with minor issues though.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The difference, as I understand it, is that the Gracenote data was raw, and the Rovi data is already formatted. The recent TiVo software update was to allow the TiVo to "read" the Rovi data, but it seems to me that job remains incomplete, and now that they have a better idea of how the two are interacting (or not) they can probably refine the software.

Speaking, of course, in my official capacity of medieval historian.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #17
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
TiVo is already changing the data before it comes to TiVo boxes. They did the same with gracenote. It is much easier to modify the data on the server with automated actions than rewriting TiVo software and updating all of the boxes. Sure, they may need to do some software updates with minor issues though.
You keep saying this but there are things that it would be better to do on the client side. Things like categories in wishlists or the guide. Why keep forcing the new data into the old mold. Fix it right rather than patching it up.

Another example. If the NEW indicator is right, why not use it? And how about fixing the BUG that if there is no OAD on an episode with specific information otherwise, Tivo assumes it is a rerun.

They wrote their code based upon the data they have. You are advocating to not continue working with the data but to deny it exists.

I wouldn't want you on my project team with that attitude.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
You keep saying this but there are things that it would be better to do on the client side. Things like categories in wishlists or the guide. Why keep forcing the new data into the old mold. Fix it right rather than patching it up.
Fix it right? Gracenote didn't exactly match TiVo either. People are acting like TiVo took Gracenote's data and just threw it on TiVos. They had a system to format it just like they are doing with Rovi data. Why would TiVo do conversions of data on TiVos themselves? That doesn't make any sense. They are doing it the right way.

You realize if they change up categories/data/etc that it will break all existing recordings, OnePasses, Wishlists, etc? Do you want to break that type of functionality? It is much easier to fix at the source. TiVo isn't going to put in massive amounts of resources to update old hardware. They barely were able to get a majority of the software updated for the initial conversion to begin with.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My understanding is that the Gracenote data was raw, and the Rovi data is pre-formatted.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #20
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
My understanding is that the Gracenote data was raw, and the Rovi data is pre-formatted.
What do you mean pre-formatted? That doesn't make sense. Rovi gives data to lots of providers. It uses a different format than Gracenote obviously. But TiVo is doing like other providers and manipulating it to work with their hardware.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
What do you mean pre-formatted? That doesn't make sense. Rovi gives data to lots of providers. It uses a different format than Gracenote obviously. But TiVo is doing like other providers and manipulating it to work with their hardware.
My understanding is that where Gracenote sent out raw data that its clients then had to format to suit their systems, Rovi sends out formatted data that the clients' systems have to adapt to. And that's what the recent TiVo update did...changed the way TiVo reads data to adapt to the Rovi format.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.