TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
udkyle

Any ideas on this situation for me?

I bought a Tivo Series 2 in 2004 and bought the lifetime sub on the unit.

I replaced the hard drive on it once, and it worked up until about a year ago and then stopped working so I tossed it. Pretty sure the board failed. The unit is still on my account, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't connected in at least six months if not longer which I know is the criteria for the MSD.

Anyway, I had purchased a Premiere on eBay in November 2013. I had assumed I had stumbled into a lifetime sub that the seller didn't list right, as it worked when I connected and has been working up until yesterday when a message came across that the account had been cancelled. I have no idea what that means for the past year and change I've been using the box. Not sure if the seller had reupped for a year and it ran out yesterday or if they've been paying this thing monthly for over a year and just realized or what.

So, I called Tivo last night and had them officially transfer the Premiere to my account so I could manage it. I'm not eligible for the MSD because the Series 2 is fried. I looked around for some service promo codes this morning and couldn't really find any that worked.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to either get cheap lifetime service on this Premiere, or of any promotions Tivo may be running that they may not be advertising, or if there's something I can do as relates to the original lifetime sub I bought on the Series 2 (which I'm pretty sure isn't transferable they make that perfectly clear, however, I'm wondering if there's some type of discount I can get off having had that all these years).

I'm not really familiar with gaming Tivo CSRs and promotions as I've never really had to deal with them in over a decade.

udkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Either the previous user did not know they were paying monthly and figured it out, or they perhaps pre-paid for a year and that ran out.

Call up Tivo and ask for cheap lifetime on the box. There are MANY threads on this. Go to the premiere forum and check it out. If the box has been on service for three years it is probably close to a slam dunk.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Either the previous user did not know they were paying monthly and figured it out, or they perhaps pre-paid for a year and that ran out.

Call up Tivo and ask for cheap lifetime on the box. There are MANY threads on this. Go to the premiere forum and check it out. If the box has been on service for three years it is probably close to a slam dunk.
I have a lifetime TiVo s2 and I haven't used it in years. I don't know what to do with it.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

Sign up for and then cancel before your 30 day trial is up. When canceling, ask for $99 lifetime if they don't offer it to you.

waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I wouldn't pay $99 for lifetime on an S2 model... With even OTA TV all digital now, the value of an S2 is pretty minimal.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I wouldn't pay $99 for lifetime on an S2 model... With even OTA TV all digital now, the value of an S2 is pretty minimal.
He's talking about a premiere.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by udkyle View Post
I bought a Tivo Series 2 in 2004 and bought the lifetime sub on the unit. I replaced the hard drive on it once, and it worked up until about a year ago and then stopped working so I tossed it. Pretty sure the board failed. The unit is still on my account, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't connected in at least six months if not longer which I know is the criteria for the MSD. Anyway, I had purchased a Premiere on eBay in November 2013. I had assumed I had stumbled into a lifetime sub that the seller didn't list right, as it worked when I connected and has been working up until yesterday when a message came across that the account had been cancelled. I have no idea what that means for the past year and change I've been using the box. Not sure if the seller had reupped for a year and it ran out yesterday or if they've been paying this thing monthly for over a year and just realized or what. So, I called Tivo last night and had them officially transfer the Premiere to my account so I could manage it. I'm not eligible for the MSD because the Series 2 is fried. I looked around for some service promo codes this morning and couldn't really find any that worked. Does anyone know of anything I can do to either get cheap lifetime service on this Premiere, or of any promotions Tivo may be running that they may not be advertising, or if there's something I can do as relates to the original lifetime sub I bought on the Series 2 (which I'm pretty sure isn't transferable they make that perfectly clear, however, I'm wondering if there's some type of discount I can get off having had that all these years). I'm not really familiar with gaming Tivo CSRs and promotions as I've never really had to deal with them in over a decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Sign up for and then cancel before your 30 day trial is up. When canceling, ask for $99 lifetime if they don't offer it to you.
I was offered $199 lifetime on my 1.5 year old Premiere XL when I called to cancel about 2 weeks ago, so it's worth a shot to try this.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
He's talking about a premiere.
Whole different story - absolutely worth the upgrade cost.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I have a lifetime TiVo s2 and I haven't used it in years. I don't know what to do with it.
Single or dual tuner model?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote