TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
mcf57

Question solution to removing sold TiVos from my account

Over the last few years, I have sold several lifetime S2 & S3 TiVos from my account. Some have been transferred, but for whatever reasons, the new owners of several others have never moved the TiVos to their own account. Therefore, I have a big list of TiVos "devices" on my account.

Essentially, I have 10 devices, but only 5 are truly used by me (1 Premiere, 2 Roamios and 2 Minis). All the ones I use are lifetime units as well. I remember reading here how you can't remove these units yourself.

I was wondering though if I could basically create an entirely new account with a new email address and then move my currently used TiVos over to this new account. is this theoretically doable? Has anybody else done this?

mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
abovethesink

I have read other people have done this successfully, but I have never had a reason to try it myself.

abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
Over the last few years, I have sold several lifetime S2 & S3 TiVos from my account. Some have been transferred, but for whatever reasons, the new owners of several others have never moved the TiVos to their own account. Therefore, I have a big list of TiVos "devices" on my account.

Essentially, I have 10 devices, but only 5 are truly used by me (1 Premiere, 2 Roamios and 2 Minis). All the ones I use are lifetime units as well. I remember reading here how you can't remove these units yourself.

I was wondering though if I could basically create an entirely new account with a new email address and then move my currently used TiVos over to this new account. is this theoretically doable? Has anybody else done this?
Hi,
Even if the buyer properly places the Tivo you sold it don't guarantee that the device will be removed from your list of devices. Also, opening up a 2nd account and switching some devices over doesn't guarantee that the devices will disappear from your old account.
I have 2 accounts and some devices appear in both accounts still and it is confusing. It seems like Tivo's accounting setup is poorly designed. I called and asked if something could be done one time and got the yes it will take a couple days....but nothing happened.

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
A2JetGuy

I've had the same problem in the past. Most disappear, but one I sold two years ago didn't, even though the new owner (a friend of mine) did transfer it to his account.

The most disturbing part was that when I checked the Billing section of my TiVo account and selected that unit, I could view the new owner's name and last four digits of his credit card. Obviously I couldn't/wouldn't do anything nefarious with his info, but it made me wonder what information of mine was showing up on the accounts of other people I've bought/sold TiVos with.

I called TiVo and was greeted with disinterest by the c/s agent, so I insisted that she escalate my call higher up. This person seemed to understand my concern and, after some time on hold, told me to check my account again in a week.

The following week, the old TiVo was off my account, however, I'll never know if my info still appeares on other's accounts.

Mini 1st gen
OTA all the way!
A2JetGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
lessd

If the old TiVos showing on your account bother you that much, just open a new account with TiVo and move the active TiVos into that account, the biggest problem is that the Media Key will change, so it will take a few days for all your TiVos and Minis to see each other. If you have moved programs off your TiVo using the desktop program, Kmttg, or other way they may not be playable with the new Media Key. I did this years ago, it does clean up your TiVo account, but not worth the hassle as your active TiVos should be all you can play with on-line anyways. TiVo will move any active TiVos, that you no longer own, off your account after about 6 months if you ask them to.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
CTLesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post

Yes. No more need to ponder it.

Happy Series 3 Owner!
CTLesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
miadlor

How about opening a new account and moving the sold ones over instead?
I wonder how that would that effect the new owner.

miadlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miadlor View Post
How about opening a new account and moving the sold ones over instead?
I wonder how that would that effect the new owner.
That will not clear up the bottom of your list of TiVos sold long ago and not on your active account anymore.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
gweempose

I have five old TiVos that still show up under my account. I talked to a CSR years ago to have them removed, but they were of no help. I've since learned to live with it.

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #10
buddhawood

I have 29 units on my inactive list and 14 on my active list. 4 of those are no longer owned by me.
It takes awhile for my account to actually open.

buddhawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhawood View Post
I have 29 units on my inactive list and 14 on my active list. 4 of those are no longer owned by me.
It takes awhile for my account to actually open.
Takes awhile for any TiVo account to open, TiVo on-line is slow.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
TiVoSupport_Sarah
TiVo Representative

Regarding devices showing on tivo.com

Hello mcf57,

I'd be happy to take a look into what is going on with the devices on your account. If you would send me a Private message and include one of your currently active TiVo Service Numbers (TSN) in your private message I can look into your issue and we may be able to come to a solution.

Thank You

TiVoSupport_Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote