TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Wow! That android app update cannot come soon enough.

I have a bunch of apple products and have gotten very used to how polished the IOS app is. Recently, I installed DUOS on my Surface Pro and installed the Android app.

Wow, I seem to remember way back in the day all the niggles that the Android app still has, but man it is hard for me to use now!

A completed rewrite is supposed to come some time this month if my memory serves me correctly - hopefully it is a lot more similar to the IOS app than the existing Android app.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I have a bunch of apple products and have gotten very used to how polished the IOS app is. Recently, I installed DUOS on my Surface Pro and installed the Android app.
I'm glad you're liking (??) the iOS app, yet I still have various problems with it, especially with the latest rewrite.. (and yes, I have a discussion on forums.tivo.com about at least the most serious of these)

1) If I have a partial failed download, it can DELETE the recording, and _not_ release the space back to the OS for a few hours (????)
This actually seems to have to do with the iOS app *crashing* while there's a partial failed download. I keep meaning to try to get a partial failed download and purposely force quitting the app.. But whenever I think of this, then the app seems to "behave" and actually complete downloads!

2) It STILL scrolls to the top at various times.. e.g. scrolling down the To Do list, at some point it will refresh and scroll back up to the top.. !@$!@$ piece of junk

3) At least when talking to my Premiere 4, I see it "lose communication" if I'm e.g. cleaning things up in the To Do list.. (reruns with no guide data, or overly aggressive autorecord wishlists)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'm glad you're liking (??) the iOS app, yet I still have various problems with it, especially with the latest rewrite.. (and yes, I have a discussion on forums.tivo.com about at least the most serious of these)

1) If I have a partial failed download, it can DELETE the recording, and _not_ release the space back to the OS for a few hours (????)
This actually seems to have to do with the iOS app *crashing* while there's a partial failed download. I keep meaning to try to get a partial failed download and purposely force quitting the app.. But whenever I think of this, then the app seems to "behave" and actually complete downloads!

2) It STILL scrolls to the top at various times.. e.g. scrolling down the To Do list, at some point it will refresh and scroll back up to the top.. !@$!@$ piece of junk

3) At least when talking to my Premiere 4, I see it "lose communication" if I'm e.g. cleaning things up in the To Do list.. (reruns with no guide data, or overly aggressive autorecord wishlists)
The IOS app isn't perfect - I will agree with that. Some of that has to do simply with that platform and some of that has to do with design decisions that have been made.

I will say this, go use the Android app for a little while and you will appreciate the improvements TiVo has made to the IOS app over the last couple of years!

And while I agree the IOS app can still use some maturation, the iPad is still my go to navigation tool while sitting on the couch. Remote and Ipad sitting next to each other - if I am going to browse content, I will most likely grab the iPad. So, I think that says something.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote