TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
keenanSR

A possible clue to where TiVo is headed?

From Advanced Television,

Quote:
Spain: Vodafone to launch TiVo 4K STB

From David Del Valle in Madrid
May 4, 2016
Vodafone Spain is finalising the launch of a new STB that will include the smart service TiVo within the 4K-equipped device.

The new box will allow subscribers access to the TiVo service, to up to 120 TV channels, as well as the VoD service and other popular apps like Netflix.

The new box will not have an internal hard disc like the current box and instead rely on the cloud to store content.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...h-tivo-4k-stb/

keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
bicker
Gruff

I don't think we can take any news of this sort as an indicator of the future, at least not until the acquisition is complete. Sure, at some point, the impeding acquisition will start affecting such moves (although technically it shouldn't), but surely anything that is already in motion, so much so that they're "finalizing" a "launch", is very likely something that was set in motion before the acquisition.

Series 3-648 (Vito) (semi-retired)
Roamio -848 (Monty)
Mini -A93 (Mimi)
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
HobokenSkier

So still a hardware manufacturer

HobokenSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
jcthorne

Put some clues together. This announcment, Tivo's multiple mentions of a 'new product not a DVR' and the Tivo mentions of a new generation mini.

Its all speaking of the same device. A new streaming video box that also has Tivo baked in. Can access other tivos in the home but not required like the current mini. All streaming apps like on the bolt and the bolt's 4k engine.

I think it would be a great fit for tivo and bring them into new markets. With Hulu and You Tube both announcing IPtv lineups this week, an upscale streaming box becomes a viable set top and brings the tivo experience with it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
DrewTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
A new streaming video box that also has Tivo baked in. Can access other tivos in the home but not required like the current mini.

Help me out here . . . what good is baked in tivo without something to record content? If it's just a portal to access other streaming content (hulu, netflix, amazon), then what exactly is the selling point?

DrewTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
sheshechic

Outside of the US, tv's can record. We cannot have such devices here.

sheshechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTivo View Post
Help me out here . . . what good is baked in tivo without something to record content? If it's just a portal to access other streaming content (hulu, netflix, amazon), then what exactly is the selling point?
Tivo / Rovi's entry to the very large and growing streaming IPtv set top box market. If priced right, would be a competitive box to Roku and Amazon Fire with features neither of those two offer now or in the future.

Stop thinking of the Tivo my shows list as a list of your local recordings but rather an index of video content you want to watch and have direct access to. Local and all network sources.

This is the natural progression of what onePass started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
What's the selling point of any Streaming device? Same here.

The issue is everyone around here automatically thinks it will suck or not offer anything different/better than any other Streaming device.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
12/15 - Bolt
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
pwlcheng

Quote:
Help me out here . . . what good is baked in tivo without something to record content?

It will still be able to record content, only not using "local storage", instead, it will be using "cloud storage". Everybody are moving from Local Storage to Cloud Storage nowadays, you have DropBox, One Drive, Google Drive...etc...etc. Don't you have your music store or sync to the cloud yet?

pwlcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
SullyND
L: 44-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenSkier View Post
So still a hardware manufacturer
I don't think that's a given. Thier UK products for example run on non-TiVo hardware.

SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
tomhorsley

Oh God. A "cloud" DVR. "Cloud" is just a buzzword meaning "we can stop you from skipping over commercials", and practically speaking, the latency is also very annoying with a distinct delay between pressing a button and something happening (a delay that varies as well depending on how loaded the servers happen to be).

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
TonyD79

I can see TiVo working with a cable systems cloud server but what is the return on investment for them to set up their own? I don't see that happening just because of the initial cost.

However as cable systems move to cloud dvrs (shudder), it would make sense for them to follow that path.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Oh God. A "cloud" DVR. "Cloud" is just a buzzword meaning "we can stop you from skipping over commercials", and practically speaking, the latency is also very annoying with a distinct delay between pressing a button and something happening (a delay that varies as well depending on how loaded the servers happen to be).
Latency doesn't have to be a problem. There are ways to reduce the latency issue through buffering. With memory prices today it would be relatively easy to have a multi-gigabyte buffer and still stay in the $100/unit price range. If you combine that with the bit rates of most IP delivered products, and a reasonable amount of headroom on the connection, you could buffer all or most of a show before the first commercial break.

Of course, if you can't skip commercials, the importance of latency is somewhat diminished.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #14
Joe3

Wow, the cloud, like Apple's music cloud, expect them to delete any recording they want once you give the key,

Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
NashGuy

Quote:
Tivo / Rovi's entry to the very large and growing streaming IPtv set top box market. If priced right, would be a competitive box to Roku and Amazon Fire with features neither of those two offer now or in the future.

Stop thinking of the Tivo my shows list as a list of your local recordings but rather an index of video content you want to watch and have direct access to. Local and all network sources.

This is the natural progression of what onePass started.
Maybe TiVo could have a successful streaming STB but, as you say, it would have to be superior in some way(s) to what's already out there: Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV and the various Android TV boxes. But as I've pointed out before, there's really no way for TiVo to get there with their current Opera/HTML5-based app platform. There's just not enough apps available (and in some cases, the apps available aren't as good as they are on other platforms). It's a chicken-and-egg thing: TiVo can't get lots of companies to develop apps for their streaming box if they haven't sold lots of units; but they can't sell lots of units without lots of apps to start with.

Which is why I keep coming back to Android TV. No one has yet produced a killer Android TV-based STB. If TiVo made one, with a reskinned UI to identify it as TiVo branded, full access to the Google Play app store, an Amazon Video app pre-installed (since that's the one major app unavailable on Google Play), Google Cast capability, and a well-designed remote control, I think it could succeed. Even better, put an OTA HDTV tuner right inside the box with free program listings and the ability to pause and rewind live TV. Use a OnePass-like system to search across all the major streaming services and save those searches in a unified watchlist. THAT would be a killer streaming product, truly differentiated from anything else on the market, and would make waves with cord-cutters.

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #16
foghorn2

just get Kodi on TiVo

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #17
pwlcheng

Imagine you don't need to set any OnePass to record your favorite shows. You just turn on your TV and using your [Cloud TiVo] to access any broadcast/episodes that has been broadcasted today or 5 years ago. Any episodes from Season 10 all the way back to Season 1. Would that be wonderful?

pwlcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #18
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlcheng View Post
Imagine you don't need to set any OnePass to record your favorite shows. You just turn on your TV and using your [Cloud TiVo] to access any broadcast/episodes that has been broadcasted today or 5 years ago. Any episodes from Season 10 all the way back to Season 1. Would that be wonderful?
Sure except content owners would never allow it and even if they did TiVo would have to charge allot for the storage.

VoD could do the same thing, but again content owners would expect you to either rent (pay per view) or purchase any content you viewed.

The reality I see is that the VoD libraries we create with our TiVos is about as good as it is going to get.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
12/15 - Bolt
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #19
lessd

Quote:
Can you remember all your favorite shows and what was the last one you saw, with TiVo, as it now, my shows tells me what favorite shows have recorded that I have not seen, easy. I watched an OD Stz program called The Missing, it had 8 one hour episodes, I had to keep track, with a paper next to my TV, and cross off each episode I watched as OD only keeps history for about a day, not such a big pain as it was only one show, but if we were talking about many shows that would be a pain.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
lew

Quote:
Sounds like CBS all access. You're describing VoD, not a DVR. Would you rather pay per episode or per season? How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for commercial free viewing? Understand fast forwarding through commercials won't be allowed.

lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
just get Kodi on TiVo
Can't see that happening because of all the piracy Kodi allows. I had to side load it to my Firestick as Amazon had removed it from its store. 😏

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:59 AM   #22
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Maybe TiVo could have a successful streaming STB but, as you say, it would have to be superior in some way(s) to what's already out there: Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV and the various Android TV boxes. But as I've pointed out before, there's really no way for TiVo to get there with their current Opera/HTML5-based app platform. There's just not enough apps available (and in some cases, the apps available aren't as good as they are on other platforms). It's a chicken-and-egg thing: TiVo can't get lots of companies to develop apps for their streaming box if they haven't sold lots of units; but they can't sell lots of units without lots of apps to start with.

Which is why I keep coming back to Android TV. No one has yet produced a killer Android TV-based STB. If TiVo made one, with a reskinned UI to identify it as TiVo branded, full access to the Google Play app store, an Amazon Video app pre-installed (since that's the one major app unavailable on Google Play), Google Cast capability, and a well-designed remote control, I think it could succeed. Even better, put an OTA HDTV tuner right inside the box with free program listings and the ability to pause and rewind live TV. Use a OnePass-like system to search across all the major streaming services and save those searches in a unified watchlist. THAT would be a killer streaming product, truly differentiated from anything else on the market, and would make waves with cord-cutters.
Tivo is not going to be better than Roku by having MORE apps. That will not happen.

Tivo is going to (attempt) to be better by offering a significant feature than NONE of the other streaming boxes do. An integrated search and integrated play list where you see videos you want from all of your providers at the same time. No need to search in each app when looking for a move or show. No need to launch one app for one show and then launch another app for another show.

The MyShows list and integrated search across all the major OTT providers is what Tivo will bring as a new product.

You already have it on the DVRs now but like many things Tivo, educating the public why they would want this powerful feature is how they will make the sales....or not.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #23
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
just get Kodi on TiVo
Not going to happen. Tivo has buddied up with Plex which is commercially more mainstream. Vizio, Samsung, Sony and others also support. Its not perfect but it does work pretty darn well and its getting better all the time.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 06:03 AM   #24
jcthorne

Quote:
That is exactly what universal search and onepass already does. Across all providers. OTT and linear.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #25
tomhorsley

A universal search being the primary feature that make TiVo stand out from the crowd will definitely need something more convenient to use for the search than hunting and pecking an onscreen keyboard with the remote :-).

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #26
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
A universal search being the primary feature that make TiVo stand out from the crowd will definitely need something more convenient to use for the search than hunting and pecking an onscreen keyboard with the remote :-).
Ya it's called voice. If Tivo released a new remote and software that provided voice control/recognition for as many of their existing DVRs that the hardware would support it, they would really have something.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
12/15 - Bolt
Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Tivo is not going to be better than Roku by having MORE apps. That will not happen. Tivo is going to (attempt) to be better by offering a significant feature than NONE of the other streaming boxes do. An integrated search and integrated play list where you see videos you want from all of your providers at the same time. No need to search in each app when looking for a move or show. No need to launch one app for one show and then launch another app for another show. The MyShows list and integrated search across all the major OTT providers is what Tivo will bring as a new product. You already have it on the DVRs now but like many things Tivo, educating the public why they would want this powerful feature is how they will make the sales....or not.
Roku already has an integrated search for all major apps (no one can do all the apps Roku has since many are "private channels"). TiVo brings linear together with apps. Roku also has a watch feature to let you know when new items are available. I think it only works on movies but don't assume TiVo is really bringing anything new to the party. Maybe better but not new.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #28
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Ya it's called voice. If Tivo released a new remote and software that provided voice control/recognition for as many of their existing DVRs that the hardware would support it, they would really have something.
Voice is a gimmick.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #29
foghorn2

Please, no voice on the Tivo, I hate voice remotes.

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #30
SullyND
L: 44-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Voice is a gimmick.
I think it depends on its implementation. Amazon seems to have a pretty good handle on voice in a non-gimmicky way.

Wasn't there something that lead us to believe the Bolt was going to ship with a voice controlled remote?

SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote