TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
davezatz
Funkadelic

Vudu & Amazon Prime for Premiere in 2015

TiVo has posted a new Vudu support note and updated their Amazon Instant note, indicating no Premiere support at this time:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/259/
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2951

However, TiVo's Twitter support account indicates Premiere will be serviced in 2015:

https://twitter.com/TiVoSupport/stat...75124904796161

Last edited by davezatz : 10-29-2014 at 05:55 PM.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
What is the difference between Amazon Instant Video on Roamio and other TiVo devices?

Depending on the TiVo platform you are using, your Amazon Instant Video application has different capabilities and features. With software version 20.4.5, Roamio Series DVRs and TiVo Mini feature an improved Amazon Instant Video experience that not only lets you stream content to your device with up to 1080p video quality, but also offers access to your Amazon Prime videos!

Legacy (previous) versions of Amazon Instant Video are not compatible with streaming or Amazon Prime. If you have a Premiere Series or earlier DVR, the TiVo Amazon Instant Video experience gives you access to the complete Amazon Instant Video library. Your selections will be downloaded to My Shows for viewing.
Yep, Premiere excluded
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
spaldingclan

kind of expected this...too bad too. I guess I'll be selling my lifetimed premiere on ebay
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Chris Gerhard

I don't know if the Premiere would be capable or not but from a business standpoint, it probably wouldn't make any sense to add these services.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
kind of expected this...too bad too. I guess I'll be selling my lifetimed premiere on ebay
Yep, I think I will sell my Premiere and get a second Mini. It makes sense, I can save the $5 a month cable card fee...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

There had to be a cut-off at some point, I was just hoping Amazon would be on the other side of that cut-off.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
There had to be a cut-off at some point, I was just hoping Amazon would be on the other side of that cut-off.
Guess they drew the line since RCN, with a whole lotta Premieres, probably wouldn't deploy these apps anyway.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
atmuscarella

Still not very clear to me, on my Roamio:
  1. Will I be able to download my UV movies from Vudu?
  2. Will I be able to download rented movies from Vudu?
  3. Will I still be able to download rented or owned movies from Amazon?
  4. Will I be able to download Prime movies?

I know most people can stream but with my Frontier DSL it is impossible to stream in the afternoon/evening (drops to below 1Mbps every night) so if I can not download stuff, it is worthless to me.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post

I know most people can stream but with my Frontier DSL it is impossible to stream in the afternoon/evening (drops to below 1Mbps every night) so if I can not download stuff, it is worthless to me.
You cannot download from Netflix and as far as I know you cannot download using any of these apps on Roku or the Amazon Fire boxes. Since this is the same application deployed in those environments - I suspect the answer is no.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Diana Collins

Prime is stream only (there is no download option for Prime on any device). Regular Amazon Instant Video MAY still support download, but until they activate the new app we won't know for sure (I'll bet that you will still be able to initiate a download from Your Video Library on Amazon).

Does Vudu support download on any platform? I've only used it on Roku, which obviously wouldn't support downloads.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post

The amazon part is very clear, clearly stated in the table they put up. For the Roamio, prime stuff, rented or purchased videos will be stream only.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
You cannot download from Netflix and as far as I know you cannot download using any of these apps on Roku or the Amazon Fire boxes. Since this is the same application deployed in those environments - I suspect the answer is no.
I kind of assumed that for Prime Videos but hoped I could still download instant videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
Prime is stream only (there is no download option for Prime on any device). Regular Amazon Instant Video MAY still support download, but until they activate the new app we won't know for sure (I'll bet that you will still be able to initiate a download from Your Video Library on Amazon).

Does Vudu support download on any platform? I've only used it on Roku, which obviously wouldn't support downloads.
You can download owned Vudu/UV video on a computer and some other devices with hard drives. I have also been told you can download Vudu rented videos on a PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
The amazon part is very clear, clearly stated in the table they put up. For the Roamio, prime stuff, rented or purchased videos will be stream only.
Ya I see that now sucks for me - guess I need to keep one of my other TiVos around for awhile.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 10-28-2014 at 04:17 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Have they said the instant video app is going away? I would makes sense to replace one with the other, but I am not sure we have conformation on that.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
Vudu on iOS allows downloads of purchased content (not sure about rentals, but I'd assume so). They even give you a choice of three settings for downloads (Best quality, Best download speed, and Good quality and speed).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Vudu on iOS allows downloads of purchased content (not sure about rentals, but I'd assume so). They even give you a choice of three settings for downloads (Best quality, Best download speed, and Good quality and speed).
The point of the TiVo app architecture was to allow app providers to integrate existing applications with little modifications. Under the old architecture a dedicated TiVo app had to be written and we see what that got us!

As far as I know, none of the apps built for streaming boxes includes download as an option - for obvious reasons. Since we are getting apps designed around that model, it also makes sense that all these new apps would also exclude downloading. A more apples to apples comparison would be for you to say the Vudu app on the XBox allows for downloads - but it doesn't.

Mobile apps, by design need download as connectivity may be unavailable or expensive.

Home based apps do not need downloading as they are driven by a broadband connection by design.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
AdamNJ

here's the important info for Amazon

Amazon Instant Video
(Premiere Series and earlier DVRs)
Account Registration: Register at http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/tivo
Device Registration: No device registration
Purchase Type: Own and/or rent
How content is delivered: Download only

Amazon Instant Video with Prime
Roamio Series DVRs/TiVo Mini with software version 20.4.5 or higher
Account Registration: No account-level registration
Device Registration: Register at*ttp://www.amazon.com/mytv
Purchase Type: Subscription through Amazon Prime, own and/or rent
How content is delivered: Stream only

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
tarheelblue32

Well, this should juice Roamio and Mini sales a little, as Premiere owners have another good excuse to upgrade.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #18
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

I was responding to Diana's post asking if Vudu allowed downloads on any other platform. But anyway...
Quote:
Home based apps do not as they are driven by a broadband connection by design.
Except that falls down for folks like atmuscarella, where 'broadband' still isn't good enough to do the job. And there are still a LOT of areas of the country where folk are stuck with DSL, satellite, or cell.

Plus..it's a TiVo..not a little streamer with little-to-no memory. Roamios all have anywhere from 1/2 TB to 3 TB standard...why not allow the flexibility the platform inherently allows, so streams and downloads would both be possible.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #19
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Guess they drew the line since RCN, with a whole lotta Premieres, probably wouldn't deploy these apps anyway.
It's also a year since the Roamio was released and after the haxe UI supposedly speeding up the Premier interface, I guess they want to force a reason to upgrade. But Amazon Prime in itself likely won't force peopel to upgrade considering there are many streaming options, like the new FireTV Stick.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I was responding to Diana's post asking if Vudu allowed downloads on any other platform. But anyway...
Except that falls down for folks like atmuscarella, where 'broadband' still isn't good enough to do the job. And there are still a LOT of areas of the country where folk are stuck with DSL, satellite, or cell.

Plus..it's a TiVo..not a little streamer with little-to-no memory. Roamios all have anywhere from 1/2 TB to 3 TB standard...why not allow the flexibility the platform inherently allows, so streams and downloads would both be possible.
I understand...

Like I mentioned, I compare the TiVo to the XBox more than a Roku streaming box. And even with those subscription numbers, downloading isn't included for these new apps.

The app providers are definitely looking at the 95 / 5 percent rule on this one.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
This really comes down to how much extra programming Amazon and Vudu want to do for TiVo. TiVo is a relatively small player with under 1m subscribers so these services may not want to add a feature like this simply because it's not going to generate a ROI. They're more likely to just port an existing app from an existing streaming platform and call it good. I guess it's possible that they ported the PS3 app, which does support downloading. But more likely they ported a simpler one pulled from a device with simpler hardware that only supports streaming.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Grrrrr.

Yet again, TiVo excites me with a tease for months, and lets me down spectacularly with a last-minute surprising disappointment.

I'm not sure I can take it anymore. I constantly feel like I'm being punked.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Test

My iOS TiVo app was just updated to include "watch now" content from third party providers...Amazon prime, xfinitiy and HBO go.

HBO go will be an app now? Guessing not on premiere?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #24
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Grrrrr.

Yet again, TiVo excites me with a tease for months, and lets me down spectacularly with a last-minute surprising disappointment.

I'm not sure I can take it anymore. I constantly feel like I'm being punked.
You have a Premiere Fofer?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #25
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You have a Premiere Fofer?
Yes, I do. And it's hooked up via HDMI to my living room TV, and Component to my bedroom. It's worked fine for years and I haven't felt the need to pay so much more to upgrade to a Roamio, especially when it can't even directly connect to two TV's in the same way. I'd need a TiVo Mini, too. I would have gotten a TiVo Mini earlier, but noooo, that only works on a 4-tuner Premiere, not the 2-Tuner one I have. All I ever do is watch from Now Playing, never live TV. I have meager needs. TiVo keeps outpacing me in frustrating ways. All this upgrading (for features I'd likely end up not even using) is just too pricey for me to fathom right now.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #26
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
My iOS TiVo app was just updated to include "watch now" content from third party providers...Amazon prime, xfinitiy and HBO go.

HBO go will be an app now? Guessing not on premiere?
Xfinity? Maybe the HBO GO content is for Comcast customers?

If the Roamio now has direct access to Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, and also HBO GO (for Time Warner customers too) then maybe I'd upgrade after all.

Even still, the TiVo can't receive screencasted content like a cheap Chromecast or Roku can... and I use that feature all the time.

Last edited by Fofer : 10-28-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #27
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I don't know if the Premiere would be capable or not but from a business standpoint, it probably wouldn't make any sense to add these services.
for premiere it does if they didn't want to allow streaming of Prime on premiere why not take away netflix hulu and youtube since they are stearming some sort aren't they?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #28
Diana Collins

Well, they haven't killed download from Amazon yet...we got 20.4.5 this morning and I just downloaded a TV episode from Amazon to our Roamio. I'll bet the code for download will stick around (if for no other reason than to avoid having Premiere and Roamio versions of each build).

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #29
shwru980r

Tivo was one of the first set top boxes to stream netflix and they still lost millions of subscriptions. The streaming apps will generate revenue from existing customers, but they don't seem to generate new customers or even retain existing customers. I also think a certain percentage of tivo customers realize they can get by with streaming alone and cancel tivo in favor of a streaming only set top box.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
especially when it can't even directly connect to two TV's in the same way.
You could with a Roamio Plus/Pro. They both have HDMI and component just like the Premiere. The Basic is the only one that lacks component outputs. Although with the price changes on the Mini it might be cheaper to just get a Basic + Mini.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote