TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2016, 03:34 AM   #1
Hcour

Tivo Purchase Advice

I have a couple of friends, married, just cut the cord. They have OTA and a Roku, want to know what kind of Tivo to get. They're not massive tv watchers, just one tv, so they don't need anything too elaborate. They'd prefer to buy used or refurb, if possible. I have a Series 3 HD model, but that seems kind of old, I'm thinking they'd be better off with a later model, but I'm not really familiar with other models.

Thanks much!

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-O.../dp/B01DR4T73Q

Roamio OTA with lifetime for $400. Best deal out there. Probably wont even find a used one much cheaper.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:01 AM   #3
Hcour

Thanks. I know that (and the lifetime subscription) is a good deal, but they're on a very tight budget. I googled Tivo Roamio OTA and found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-O.../dp/B00OLDNNRO

I think that might be more there speed right now and it's certainly cheap enough.

Thanks again, the Roamio looks perfect for their needs.

EDIT - I sent them links to both models, in case they do want save in the long-run with the lifetime subscription.

Last edited by Hcour; 09-15-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #4
thyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Thanks. I know that (and the lifetime subscription) is a good deal, but they're on a very tight budget. I googled Tivo Roamio OTA and found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-O.../dp/B00OLDNNRO

I think that might be more there speed right now and it's certainly cheap enough.

Thanks again, the Roamio looks perfect for their needs.

EDIT - I sent them links to both models, in case they do want save in the long-run with the lifetime subscription.
If they are getting the 500 gb model, and willing to pay TiVo service instead of included with the 1 tb Roamio OTA, they are probably better off with Bolt:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-bolt

thyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
jth tv

Replace the hard drive with a 3TB. Cheap and easy.

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
lafos

They could start with a used S3 or Premiere and see if they use it enough to be worth buying a new model. At one point, I had seven active TiVos, but now really only use two, as my TV watching shifted back to books or streaming.

lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

All Tivo DVRs require a Tivo service subscription (either included, 14.99/month, lifetime.) The OTA deal has lifetime service included ($600 value).

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
tarheelblue32

You should just buy a new Roamio OTA for yourself and sell them your old Series 3.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
NashGuy

Their cheapest option, if they're really watching what they spend, is just to get Hulu for $8 per month (or $12 without ads), right on the Roku they already have. It gives you a lot of the stuff you would record from an OTA antenna, including current season shows from NBC, ABC and Fox the day after they air. (The big exception is current season CBS shows, which aren't on Hulu). Plus Hulu offers a fair amount of stuff like Netflix does: uncut ad-free movies, past seasons of some cable shows, and a few original series.

Hulu isn't a perfect replacement for an OTA DVR -- it lacks some OTA stuff from CBS, PBS and The CW, and some episodes go away after five weeks, but then it also offers other stuff that isn't available on OTA TV at all. But again, if money is a concern, it may be a better choice than shelling out money on a new TiVo, which will also come with a monthly fee (unless you pay for lifetime service up-front).

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
Hcour

They want to be able to record shows.

Thanks much for all the suggestions. I'll pass them along.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:34 AM   #11
hapster85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Hulu isn't a perfect replacement for an OTA DVR -- it lacks some OTA stuff from CBS, PBS and The CW, and some episodes go away after five weeks,
What's missing on Hulu from The CW? It's one of the ones limited to 5 weeks, in most cases, but all of their most popular shows are on there. I use it routinely to catch episodes of The Flash and Arrow, if they didn't get DVR'd (you know how DirecTV is with storms), and my daughter uses it to watch all of her favorite CW shows.

It's a shame CBS isn't on there, but they're deluded, thinking their All Access is worth $6 a month by itself. I did briefly consider signing up when I decided to cut the cord, but ultimately chose to get a Roamio OTA instead. Yeah, I'm the type who'd rather pay $400 for a new TiVo, than give those clowns $6 a month.

hapster85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #12
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapster85 View Post
What's missing on Hulu from The CW? It's one of the ones limited to 5 weeks, in most cases, but all of their most popular shows are on there. I use it routinely to catch episodes of The Flash and Arrow, if they didn't get DVR'd (you know how DirecTV is with storms), and my daughter uses it to watch all of her favorite CW shows.

It's a shame CBS isn't on there, but they're deluded, thinking their All Access is worth $6 a month by itself. I did briefly consider signing up when I decided to cut the cord, but ultimately chose to get a Roamio OTA instead. Yeah, I'm the type who'd rather pay $400 for a new TiVo, than give those clowns $6 a month.
It has been claimed in the media that CW is removing itself from Hulu this fall. Sorry I can not find where I read that but I am sure I did.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
12/15 - Bolt
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
hapster85

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
It has been claimed in the media that CW is removing itself from Hulu this fall. Sorry I can not find where I read that but I am sure I did.
Looks like they couldn't come to new contract terms. Current contract is expiring soon.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netf...lu-1201799176/

Several other articles out there, I just wasn't aware. Same as I wasn't aware, until last week, that Limitless on CBS had not been renewed for a second season. Sometimes ignorance is not bliss. Lol

hapster85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
NashGuy

The CW will allow streaming of their most recent few episodes (probably the same last five eps, as was the case on Hulu) for free this season on their own CW app. The app was only available on mobile platforms until just recently when they added it to Apple TV, Fire TV, etc. I'm sure there will, of course, be forced ads. And they made a deal with Netflix to put the entire season of all their shows there (ad-free, of course) within about a week after the season ends.

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
al_wilson2

The Roamia OTA with lifetime subscription is the way to go. If they can't afford it, though, there are other options. One such option is Plex, if they don't care about live TV. Plex now has a DVR feature for $5 per month. Pair Plex with an HDhomerun tuner, and a computer to run Plex, and they will have a DVR. The Roku would then connect to the computer/Plex server to stream the recordings. They could actually use most any PC, tablet, phone, screen, or device to watch the recordings from Plex.

For ease of use and many streaming options in one box, though, the Roamio OTA can't be beat.

If their watching experience is TV centric, such as from the couch, get the Roamio. If their watching experience is mobile, such as tablet in bed, then take a look at Plex.

al_wilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote