TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2003, 09:24 AM   #61
edrock200

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer
It looks like we've almost achieved 37 signatures.
Huh? We're close to 1000.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:54 AM   #62
Sorcerer

Guess I should've included the

Sorry, I was being sarcastic!

We're over 1000 signatures now.
Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #63
JD9900

Re: over 700 sigs

Quote:
Originally posted by kf4wvk
The response was that I would have to wait until Tivo launches it and then ask Tivo if I can do it on my HDVR2!

Here's to hoping.

kf4wvk

This just got me thinking - DTV could offer the 4.0 software, let the customers pay for HMO directly through Tivo, and then just wash their hands of supporting it. This way, DTV offers a service to people who want it, doesn't have to worry about paying to support it, and Tivo continues to provide state of the art software updates to their customers.

I know Tivo wants 4.0 on the Combo units, and I also know DTV wants to make as many people as possible happy while paying out as little as possible. This seems like a great compromise.
3x - Broken Series2 DTivos
JD9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 AM   #64
JD9900

Hey guys! We're at almost *1500* signatures, now. This is FANTASTIC! Please, keep reading this thread, keep employing new people to sign, and keep the movement alive. I've been speaking in private with other long-term TiVo Community members, including a TiVo Employee him (or her) self who wishes to remain nameless, and they all feel that what we're doing here is helping our cause; the TiVo cause.

Again, even if you aren't considering purchasing the H(ome) M(edia) O(ption), please consider Signing The Petition to SUPPORT the HMO movement - we simply want the option to purchase it, that is all.

Again, thanks all, and keep the up the good work!!!

Bob
3x - Broken Series2 DTivos

Last edited by JD9900 : 04-15-2003 at 01:09 AM.
JD9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:23 AM   #65
keefer37

I just added a link to the petition in my Blog. Hope that will help get a few more signatures.

TiVo Series 2 DT: Stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
keefer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:23 AM   #66
blips

blips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #67
dconnel
Professional Lurker

dconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #68
srjtr7

# 1535 wow......I hope we get get HMO
1- Series 4- 4 tuner on the way

Sitting collecting dust-----
Tivo Series 2
2- Direct Tivo Series 2 Hughes
srjtr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #69
dconnel
Professional Lurker

bump
dconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:45 AM   #70
vertigo235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #71
rogercy

# 1881
Old 04-22-2003, 01:30 PM   #72
Mr Pieces
TiVo Junkie

#1892 (Would have been a lower # but I have been busy and away from the forum for a while...)
Old 04-22-2003, 09:17 PM   #73
Misfit

#1920, sorry I haven't been around for a while, glad to be back.
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:24 PM   #74
jahf
Mew Nember

When / How will the petition officially be sent to DirecTV? I'm curious to hear the response. I figure it will hit 2000 by this weekend.

Wanna know about what is different from a DirecTV DVR with TiVo and a standalone TiVo -OR- newbie links to hack your box -OR- info on improving your NTSC PQ -OR- info on HDTV resolutions -OR- [to be added]?

jahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:49 AM   #75
ISWIZ
Southern Yankee

DTV R15
Hughes Direct Tivo Combo @ 107hrs
ISWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:31 PM   #76
matt3846

# 2085
matt3846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:26 PM   #77
tedc

another signature. great idea to do an online petition.
tedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:56 AM   #78
whsbuss
Advanced Member

Sound Dropout

While we're doing a petition for HMO, how about starting one for all the sound problems most of us are experiencing? DTV never admits to any complaints on this issue. I know I've called at least 10 times since Dec and they never acknowledge it or issue a resolution.
whsbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:08 PM   #79
parzec
Wizard of Oz

I hope everyone realizes why DirecTV was able to lower the cost of monthy DVR subscription rates and allow the DVR service to be mirrored at no extra charge. It should be no surprise that we are not getting all of the latest Tivo features, we don't pay enough compared to SA owners to deserve them. Personally, I am happy with the way the DVR works right now. Since DirecTV is 100% responsible for support of their DVR system, it will increase their operating costs which will be passed to everyone -- No thanks --
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:00 PM   #80
WeKnSmith

Quote:
Originally posted by parzec
I hope everyone realizes why DirecTV was able to lower the cost of monthy DVR subscription rates and allow the DVR service to be mirrored at no extra charge. It should be no surprise that we are not getting all of the latest Tivo features, we don't pay enough compared to SA owners to deserve them. Personally, I am happy with the way the DVR works right now. Since DirecTV is 100% responsible for support of their DVR system, it will increase their operating costs which will be passed to everyone -- No thanks --
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I bought lifetime TiVo service and want access to all of the updates that should be available to me. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same.

2 - Series3 106 HR w/ lifetime
DRT-400 487 HR w/ lifetime
2 - HR10-250
SD-DVR80
SAT-T60 212HR
DSR6000R 146HR
2 - HDVR2 both 105HR
WeKnSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #81
jahf
Mew Nember

Quote:
Originally posted by parzec
Humbug. DTV paid TiVo a BIG chunk of investment change to have the rights to do things their way. DTV uses the DVR as a retention mechanism, which means it needs to make people happy to continue retention. DTV gets their updates from TiVo ... they may be responsible for the front-line technical support, but they do not do the mass of code development, which is a large portion of the true "support" of the product.

If anything, DTV is going to -increase- their support costs over time as TiVo is less and less able to support the older codebase. Any fix, feature enhancement, etc has to get back ported and you have to keep your support techs trained on older technology, while at the same time fielding more and more calls from people who don't understand why their DTV DVR (which they think is a "TiVo") doesn't do what their friend's SA or Digital Cable TiVo does.

IMO, DTV is being a stick in the mud purely and simply for 2 reasons:

1) They are scared of what happened to ReplayTV with the whole internet-enabled program sharing combined with the illegality of trading perfect digital copies. At first they probably were going to completely ignore HMO. Then, we got loud enough and they started talking about custom features that they programmed (then they figured out #2 below), now I fully expect them to backpedal and at least release v4 with folders if not full HMO, but they are going to take their time, consult many lawyers, and craft lots of press releases ... that way if they release it in a few months they can say "look, we're nice, we listened to our users and gave them what they wanted".

2) Hughes has yet to learn how to support their product ... I'm referring to things like the audio dropouts ... until they can fix the bugs, how are they going to create anything new? This is a catch-22 though, as it locks them into the older versions even more.

Besides, alot of folks are perfectly willing to pay for HMO by the month (I'm not, but I would be willing to pay a one time fee like with TiVo). Others are willing to pay more per month to get back to a TiVo upgrade path (that I would consider). DTV may have a great set of retention policies, but I have yet to see much goodness about their technical support. We're definitely getting what we pay for when it comes to that.

Wanna know about what is different from a DirecTV DVR with TiVo and a standalone TiVo -OR- newbie links to hack your box -OR- info on improving your NTSC PQ -OR- info on HDTV resolutions -OR- [to be added]?

jahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:32 PM   #82
MikeO

Quote:
Originally posted by WeKnSmith
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I bought lifetime TiVo service and want access to all of the updates that should be available to me. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same.
I second that... It does SUCK that we paid lifetime and don't get lifetime updates.

m
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:14 PM   #83
parzec
Wizard of Oz

In retrospect, I probably should not have posted to this thread since it is, afterall, a sticky thread to develop a petition in favor of HMO, not a topic to debate its value/feasibility. Please continue to gather your support and I'll look for another thread to give opinion. Appologies...
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #84
WeKnSmith

We're at 2230 now.

2 - Series3 106 HR w/ lifetime
DRT-400 487 HR w/ lifetime
2 - HR10-250
SD-DVR80
SAT-T60 212HR
DSR6000R 146HR
2 - HDVR2 both 105HR
WeKnSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:17 AM   #85
MichaelK

For the curious-

have you contacted directv yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by JD9900
Just an update - the petition has over 900 signatures on it, and is growing fast! Thanks to all of you who have signed and passed this around. I posted this message in the thread going on in the Tivo Coffeehouse Forum, but wanted to update this original thread as well.

As far as submitting the petition to Mr. Baele, and DirecTV, I am keeping daily track of the signatures, and will wait until there is a significant decrease before submitting. This should be an excellent compromise between building the maximum amount of signatures and submitting it in a reasonable amount of time.

But remember, this is not my petition - it belongs to all of us. Feel free to write to Mr. Baele and DirecTV referencing this petition at your leisure. I intend to send him actual written correspondence as well as email to their public relations and customer service departments when I feel the time is right, and I encourage all of you to do the same.

Thanks again for all of the help and support!

Bob

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:54 AM   #86
KHLS97

We're at 2313 now! : )
KHLS97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:15 AM   #87
dengel
Linux or Die!

Are we waiting for a magic number before we submit the petition?

d.

dengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #88
02RedLT

I'm #2487!
02RedLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:07 PM   #89
MLans

#2500 here!
MLans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:27 AM   #90
lev

I got my DirecTivo and the satellite service during the AVS forum's downtime, or I would have signed the petition sooner.

I hope it gets through to someone. Not having advanced wishlists really made my transition from a standalone Tivo a lot less comfortable than I would have preferred.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote