TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
skruggie

VHS to Premiere?

I was wondering if its possible to copy the contents of a vhs tape to tivo and then transfer that recording to my mac?

How painless or not painless of a procedure might this be? The big bonus for me that I could see is archiving many tapes at a time, and then doing just letting it run with the computer so that I don't have to babysit footage, like I was doing when I tried this project a long time ago with my vcr hooked up directly to my computer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
skruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Tony Chick

There are no video inputs on the Premiere, you'd have to use the coax RF out on the VCR connected to the Antenna input on the Premiere (2-tuner only) and do a manual record from Channel 3 or whatever channel the VCR is set for. I suspect the result will be pretty poor quality. You'd do better with a video-to-USB converter and import directly into the Mac
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
There are no video inputs on the Premiere, you'd have to use the coax RF out on the VCR connected to the Antenna input on the Premiere (2-tuner only) and do a manual record from Channel 3 or whatever channel the VCR is set for. I suspect the result will be pretty poor quality. You'd do better with a video-to-USB converter and import directly into the Mac
Is the premiere capable of receiving NTSC channel 3? I thought it only had an ATSC tuner.

Edit. Premiere and Premiere XL have both ATSC and ATSC tuners

Last edited by poppagene : 01-17-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: correction
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Tony Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Is the premiere capable of receiving NTSC channel 3? I thought it only had an ATSC tuner.

Edit. Premiere and Premiere XL have both ATSC and ATSC tuners
You are right, its ATSC only. The OP is SOL as far as using a Premiere
A Video-to USB 2.0 converter is the way to go. They are relatively cheap and you get the video into a PC/Mac/Mobile friendly format rather than dealing with MPEG-2
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

A two-tuner Premiere can still receive NTSC.

I capture video from VHS and other analog sources on my Mac. I use a box that connects via firewire. It's a Canopus ADVC-100. It seems to keep audio and video synced much better than the USB products I have tried.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
skruggie

OK thanks it was an interesting idea - I have used a Canopus in the past, but converting to DV to mpeg via imovie is utterly painful. The process isn't worth the amount of time it takes to encode for archiving purposes, with the amount of tapes that I have.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Are these home movies or something?

How about a VHS/DVD Recorder combo deck?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
skruggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Are these home movies or something?

How about a VHS/DVD Recorder combo deck?
no - its a daily soap opera that I kept every episode of for about 20 years.

No judgements please I am not willing to give up the tapes, but the project that I have started and stopped many times over the past several years is too overwhelming and time consuming in order to get an output of decent quality that at least matches the source.

So, on vhs apparently they stay.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Converting VHS to digital is always going to be time consuming because it has to be done in realtime. So if you have 20 years worth of recordings, assuming 5 episodes a week, 1 hour per episode that's 5200 hours of capture time. Capturing 24 hours a day that would take roughly 217 days to complete. Not to mention that even at a nominal MPEG-2 bitrate of 2.5Mbps it would require almost 6TB of storage space to hold all of it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
skruggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Converting VHS to digital is always going to be time consuming because it has to be done in realtime. So if you have 20 years worth of recordings, assuming 5 episodes a week, 1 hour per episode that's 5200 hours of capture time. Capturing 24 hours a day that would take roughly 217 days to complete. Not to mention that even at a nominal MPEG-2 bitrate of 2.5Mbps it would require almost 6TB of storage space to hold all of it.

Dan
It's not the storage space that concerns me - its the time. And hence why I started and stopped this project many times over. I've had to come to the conclusion that it's just not going to happen,
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skruggie View Post
It's not the storage space that concerns me - its the time. And hence why I started and stopped this project many times over. I've had to come to the conclusion that it's just not going to happen,
If you treated it like a full time job and did it 8 hours a day it would take you roughly 2 years to complete. You have to ask yourself... is it really worth it?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
no - its a daily soap opera that I kept every episode of for about 20 years.

No judgements please I am not willing to give up the tapes, but the project that I have started and stopped many times over the past several years is too overwhelming and time consuming in order to get an output of decent quality that at least matches the source.

So, on vhs apparently they stay.
Just out of curiousity, which soap?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I was wondering if its possible to copy the contents of a vhs tape to tivo and then transfer that recording to my mac?

How painless or not painless of a procedure might this be? The big bonus for me that I could see is archiving many tapes at a time, and then doing just letting it run with the computer so that I don't have to babysit footage, like I was doing when I tried this project a long time ago with my vcr hooked up directly to my computer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Do you already own the Premiere, or is your question related to what kind of TiVo to get?

A Series 2 has RCA inputs and can be lied to about having a satellite receiver or cable box hooked up to them (when it's actually your VCR), and you can copy the recordings from the S2 to a computer.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
mulscully

I recently converted a bunch of VHS tapes to files for use in pyTivo (no where near 20 years worth) but was able to do each 6 hour tape with about 15 Min worth of work on my part a day.

If interested, here is how..
Used a capture program and a analog to digital converter for the computer. before I went to work I would start the tape and recording. There was a timer on the capture program so I could set it to shut off in 6.5 hours. then when I came home from work, loaded the file into Video Redo and segmented it down to individual shows. and repeated.. Now I did 20 tapes and was done in 20 days, but you could also expand this and run the conversions over night also and then segment 2 files when you get home from work...
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulscully View Post

If interested, here is how..
Used a capture program and a analog to digital converter for the computer. before I went to work I would start the tape and recording. There was a timer on the capture program so I could set it to shut off in 6.5 hours. then when I came home from work, loaded the file into Video Redo and segmented it down to individual shows. and repeated.. Now I did 20 tapes and was done in 20 days, but you could also expand this and run the conversions over night also and then segment 2 files when you get home from work...
Or pay someone.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

One cheap way would be to just buy a composite/S-video input to USB directly into the PC. Not sure if they work on Macs but I've used one on WIndows. The video quality was not that great but probably good enough for tapes you recorded yourself vs commercial tapes. The best way I've found is to use an older Tivo that has the composite inputs. You can pick up an S2 box with lifetime for less than $100 and record to your heart's delight. The downside is the name of the recording. It will take on the name of whatever was supposed to be on the channel you picked for the recording. You can rename it once it's on the PC but that name will not transfer if you decide to put it back on the Tivo. I ran into that when I copied some of my wife's exercise tapes to a Tivo. I got around that by transferring to my PC using kmttg and decrypting it (with the kmttg option) to a "normal" mpeg2 file. I could then rename the file and transfer it back to the Tivo with the new name using pyTivo.