TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question suggestions for an older Series 2 (dual tuner)

I have a Series 2 Dual tuner Tivo with a lifetime subscription on it. It has been working great and its now mainly connected to an older SD television in our basement. Not used much either.

Well, it used to be a dual tuner, but Comcast eliminated all analog channels in my area so I combined it with a free digital adapter from Comcast to make it a single tuner DVR. Well, Comcast is now charging me for my "supposedly" free DTA box. Therefore, I'm thinking of just sticking an older Series 3 TiVo down there instead with a cable card (for about $5 more per month) & get a LOT more channels too compared to the basic DTA box.

I'm thinking of then just selling this Series 2 on ebay or Craigslist, but wondering if there are any other suggestions on what to do with it since it now pretty much can't be used alone. Some sort of external box is needed. Any thoughts?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
ggieseke

The S2DT doesn't have any menu options for using a DTV antenna converter, but there are some crude workarounds if you have the right brand of coupon box. If you can find an Apex, Insignia or Zenith converter you could go OTA.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
mattack

You will have to pay for TWO cable cards on the ORIGINAL S3 (OLED S3), even if they are M cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if SOMEONE could make use of a lifetime S2 DT.. Heck *I* could have until last week.. heh.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
mfranch007

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You will have to pay for TWO cable cards on the ORIGINAL S3 (OLED S3), even if they are M cards.
Actually, one cable M-card can be used with an S3 (OLED). It will just be a one tuner DVR.

Last edited by mfranch007 : 10-19-2012 at 09:04 AM.
mfranch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Yea, I realize it would still be only a single tuner DVR. I should have noted this as well in my original post.

It would be in the basement and not frequently used so having it as ONE tuner down there would be OK with me. Plus, it could essentially be used as additional storage & side load/MRV recorded HD content to/from my Premieres on the main level if needed.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Sell the S2 and see if you can get OTA in the basement to avoid the cablecard fee. Have it record the majors and transfer content to fill it up. It would also let you move some season passes from your premiere to avoid conflicts...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
mfranch007

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Sell the S2 and see if you can get OTA in the basement to avoid the cablecard fee. Have it record the majors and transfer content to fill it up. It would also let you move some season passes from your premiere to avoid conflicts...

I had briefly did this in the past with an S3 (OLED) & this model works good for OTA use.
mfranch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
buscuitboy

I actually briefly experimented with this, but unfortunately, I'm not in a great area and was unable to get most of my local channels. I could get CBS and FOX, but unable to get ABC, NBC, and some other local channels (CW & MyNetworkTV).

I was using an outside antenna & realize I probably need to have it up higher than I did (side of house), but are there maybe any good indoor antennas that would allow me to get ALL my channels for my area? (zip = 30041). Or are ALL indoor antennas never as good as a true outdoor one that is mounted high?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfranch007 View Post
Actually, one cable M-card can be used with an S3 (OLED). It will just be a one tuner DVR.
Yeah, ok, sorry, but IMHO, most people would consider it 'broken' that way. (Iím only slightly exaggerating.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
unitron

Just on GP, raise h311 with Comcast about your free box not being free and ask them if you need to get the FCC involved for them to be able to straighten things out.

But without analog cable, an S2 DT is, at best, going to be an S2 ST, and this might be a good time to get whatever money out of it you can.

The RF inputs for the 2 tuners are physically accessible separately, so in theory you could feed one from a "coupon box" for OTA, and the other from the cable box, but the problem is not being able to get the TiVo to be able to change channels on both.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
buscuitboy

Since I am with Comcast, I had briefly thought about trying to figure out a way to make my S2 DT use the DTA as the main box/tuner on the RF input and then attach an Xbox360 up to its RCA inputs in order to be able to record VOD content (since there is now an Xbox360 Xfinity OnDemand app) and then MRV that content to my S3 and S4 TiVos in other rooms.

Again, in theory this should work, but I'm not totally sure. I'm thinking I would have to not only "trick" the TiVo somehow into thinking there is something on that input (by assigning it another brand cable box), but would have to do everything manually as there are no Xbox codes in the TiVo.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Since I am with Comcast, I had briefly thought about trying to figure out a way to make my S2 DT use the DTA as the main box/tuner on the RF input and then attach an Xbox360 up to its RCA inputs in order to be able to record VOD content (since there is now an Xbox360 Xfinity OnDemand app) and then MRV that content to my S3 and S4 TiVos in other rooms.

Again, in theory this should work, but I'm not totally sure. I'm thinking I would have to not only "trick" the TiVo somehow into thinking there is something on that input (by assigning it another brand cable box), but would have to do everything manually as there are no Xbox codes in the TiVo.
Have something plugged into the line inputs that's actually putting out video.

You have to choose in advance whether you want to use composite (yellow jack) or S-Video.

Then lie to the TiVo and tell it you have satellite connected to the line inputs.

If you tell it DirecTV you can access it by tuning to channel 1, which will be

Is the DTA a cable box? Does it have an RF (analog channel 3 or 4) output?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
buscuitboy

Yea, the DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) is basically a cheapo cable box. It only gets you the expanded basic channels (2-80) and a few select digital channels (no OnDemand access either). It also has ONLY RF inputs/outputs so HAS to be hooked up to the TiVo's RF line.

Another thing I would have to figure out is how to split the Xbox360's output. I don't have an Xbox360 yet, but if I did do this, ideally I would want one output going to TV and one going to this Series 2 Tivo. I imagine I could use some sort of Y-cable adapter to accomplish this.

Another thing I realized too is that even after transferring all the recorded content to my S3 and S4 units, it would be in SD quality only since its running through the S2.