TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
alleybj

Is it possible to adust the ff correction on a Roamio?

Thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
Thanks
I wish it were. I hate that it does it at all. Maybe my reflexes are faster than the average Joe, but it rewinds MUCH MUCH further than where I stop it each time.

It has been many years since the "feature" was introduced, and I have NEVER been able to slow myself down enough to use it effectively.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I wish it were. I hate that it does it at all. Maybe my reflexes are faster than the average Joe, but it rewinds MUCH MUCH further than where I stop it each time.

It has been many years since the "feature" was introduced, and I have NEVER been able to slow myself down enough to use it effectively.
I usually work very well with it but for some reason at my GFs house today, I kept messing up when FF for some reason. The only thing different was that I was using the stock remote instead of the Slide Pro. SInce I keep that remote and a power supply to use so I only need to bring my Roamio Basic over. But usually it works great but every commercial break today I kept stopping it too early for some reason.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My problem is usually the non responsive button press that is supposed to stop the FF, which results in me having to use several skip backs to get where I want to be.

This is why I use 30 second skip instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
leiff

I suffer from both these things. I hope when I replace basic remote with ProSlide remote button response gets better. I hate the auto skip back when fast forwarding. A solution that would be great is if tivo gave us a 3 minute skip button code. I currently have a Macro setup on my Harmony to quickly press 30 secs skip 6 times but it would be much quicker if it imediately skipped 3 minutes
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
moyekj

FYI, if you press Pause then Play to get out of FF instead of Play you can avoid the auto skip back. May be useful for those that really don't like the auto skip back.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
pgoelz

In my experience, the back skip in previous Tivo models was about right.... at least it was roughly equal to my reaction time.

On the Roamio, I find that it skips back too far if I use my normal reaction time. That or my reactions are significantly faster than the average it was designed for. In the end, I just trained myself to recognize the start of the program and then wait a couple hundred milliseconds before hitting PLAY. I can time it pretty well now and find that I like the ability to operate on less of a "hair trigger" as it were.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
In my experience, the back skip in previous Tivo models was about right.... at least it was roughly equal to my reaction time.

On the Roamio, I find that it skips back too far if I use my normal reaction time. That or my reactions are significantly faster than the average it was designed for. In the end, I just trained myself to recognize the start of the program and then wait a couple hundred milliseconds before hitting PLAY. I can time it pretty well now and find that I like the ability to operate on less of a "hair trigger" as it were.
I find that the feature is tuned for people with far too slow of reflexes on both the Roamio AND Premiere. I don't notice much change between the two (although there might be SOME difference).

Come on TiVo... it can't be that hard to make it an option to enable/disable and control the duration, can it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI, if you press Pause then Play to get out of FF instead of Play you can avoid the auto skip back. May be useful for those that really don't like the auto skip back.
Interesting. I am not sure I knew that. But I am also fairly sure that training myself to do that will be quite difficult.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

With the old S2 TiVos, or even analog recordings on an HD TiVo, TiVo had complete control over FF and skip back. They used a standard IBBP pattern for encoding with 15 frame GOPs. That makes it very easy to do that kind of stuff.

With HD TiVos the FF and skip back varies by channel because the encoding parameters used for each channel can vary. Here FF and skip work OK on most channels, but are frustratingly wonky on ABC. I've downloaded shows from ABC and looked at them in VRD and the GOPS are variable length jumping around anywhere from 30 to 60 frames long. (720p@59.95fps) With GOPs that far apart it makes high speed FF jumpy, since you can only display I frames at that speed, which means the point the user actually perceives the show has returned is unpredictable so even if they jump back exactly the right amount it may seem wrong. Jumping back the right amount is also hard because you can only start playback on an I frame, so if you jump back to say frame 49 of a 50 frame GOP you have to back up to the last I frame which would put you almost a full second back from where you wanted to be.

This is only going to get worse with H.264. I've seen H.264 broadcast from Europe that had GOPs that were 8-10 seconds long. With encodes like that you have to include P frames in the decode for FF, which means doing 60x is nearly impossible, and jumping back will be a serious challenge. So far the H.264 encodes I've seen from operators here in the US have been pretty tame, and similar to the MPEG-2 encodes, but they could start pushing the envelope to free up more bandwidth on cable systems.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote