TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Pixel

Tivo Desktop broke

Sorry, I don't post much. This just a tale of what happened. If I did it wrong, let me know. I'm always happy to learn something.

I had a problem with Tivo Desktop last weekend. Something about not finding a network location or something. But it wouldn't open so i could fix it. It wouldn't let me reinstall either. I went to uninstall it, but uninstall wasn't available either!!!!

Uh,oh.

Since I had a recent drive image where the desktop worked, I decided to edit the registry manually. If I hosed it, there's always that image in my pocket. It took an hour going line by line looking for every Tivo entry and deleting that key. Done! And the computer still started. Then it allowed a reinstall. Which works normally now.

But - in my experience, this behavior in a program was truly odd. Is this something Tivo Desktop does routinely, or is this some sort of bizarre one time happening? And was that a reasonable solution on my part, or are there other things I could have done that would have been easier and faster?
Pixel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

If you know enough about your PC to edit the registry, then go with pyTivo. Skip desktop.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
lrhorer

Yeah except I would add kmttg and vidmgr, at a minimum, to pyTivo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Sorry, I don't post much. This just a tale of what happened. If I did it wrong, let me know. I'm always happy to learn something.

I had a problem with Tivo Desktop last weekend. Something about not finding a network location or something. But it wouldn't open so i could fix it. It wouldn't let me reinstall either. I went to uninstall it, but uninstall wasn't available either!!!!

Uh,oh.

Since I had a recent drive image where the desktop worked, I decided to edit the registry manually. If I hosed it, there's always that image in my pocket. It took an hour going line by line looking for every Tivo entry and deleting that key. Done! And the computer still started. Then it allowed a reinstall. Which works normally now.

But - in my experience, this behavior in a program was truly odd. Is this something Tivo Desktop does routinely, or is this some sort of bizarre one time happening? And was that a reasonable solution on my part, or are there other things I could have done that would have been easier and faster?

you could have tried TiVo Desktop Cleaner utility
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Pixel

I did try the desktop cleaner utility - didn't do anything.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah Tivo Desktop has a few bugs. Some are unexplainable.
For instance, if you have a corrupted video file in your My Tivo Recordings folder, the Tivo server will stop working. I found this out the hard way.
I'd say whatever you did to get it working was the right step.

What exactly did you do when you edited the registry? It might help other users with the same problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:

Uh,oh.

One of the computers I have running Desktop has a sick hard drive.

I had a shortcut to this hard drive in the My TiVo Recordings folder.

With the drive not connected, TiVo Desktop complained about it and wouldn't open.

I deleted the shortcut and it worked again.

I have no idea if this relates to your problem, but put it here for future searchers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Pixel

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yeah Tivo Desktop has a few bugs. Some are unexplainable.
For instance, if you have a corrupted video file in your My Tivo Recordings folder, the Tivo server will stop working. I found this out the hard way.
I'd say whatever you did to get it working was the right step.

What exactly did you do when you edited the registry? It might help other users with the same problem.
What I did was boot up normally, make a backup of my registry, then I ran REGEDIT and begin searching for every instance of "Tivo" in it. I deleted every key that Tivo appeared in, but was careful to delete only the Tivo lines of a few keys that also reference other programs.

Manually searching for and deleting every Tivo reference in the registry took me about an hour. Yes, it was a pain in the butt. Yes, it was worth doing. sometimes you do what you gotta do.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
What I did was boot up normally, make a backup of my registry, then I ran REGEDIT and begin searching for every instance of "Tivo" in it. I deleted every key that Tivo appeared in, but was careful to delete only the Tivo lines of a few keys that also reference other programs.

Manually searching for and deleting every Tivo reference in the registry took me about an hour. Yes, it was a pain in the butt. Yes, it was worth doing. sometimes you do what you gotta do.
In less than half that time, you could have had a really terrific system in place. Kmttg + pyTivo + vidmgr just blow the doors off TDT. Even just kmttg + pyTivo does.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote