TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
truegalbklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Any opinions on a good DVD authoring software to transfer TiVo recordings?

Hey All

Using kmttg, I am able to have glorious HD versions of anything from my TiVo that is of course, not copy protected. However, the current software I have on my computer- Corel DVD Movie Factory is giving me issues. Whenever I import the video (note- I do not convert it- I use the actual .mpg file), and then play it in my home DVD player, the picture moves in almost a robotic way. It is difficult to explain but it kind of looks like stop and go instead of the picture moving normally. Playing the files on the computer works perfect so I am thinking it is the software doing this.

Is there a better software I should be using to get better quality or am I doing something wrong when it comes to importing and clicking on burn. I am not changing anything on the software when I do it so I can't imagine I have any setting wrong.
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
samsgood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
I'm not sure what you mean by "a robotic way"... Is the picture having pixel problems?
samsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,991
Are you making Blu-ray DVD's? (Not all versions of Movie Factory will create them). If not then your HD mpg's need to be resized to SD (720x480) resolution before they can go on a DVD. In either case Movie Factory should do whatever is needed to make the output it is spec'ed to do, but in either case there will be significant recoding time - ten's of minutes per hour of video even on a fast PC.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
truegalbklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Are you making Blu-ray DVD's? (Not all versions of Movie Factory will create them). If not then your HD mpg's need to be resized to SD (720x480) resolution before they can go on a DVD. In either case Movie Factory should do whatever is needed to make the output it is spec'ed to do, but in either case there will be significant recoding time - ten's of minutes per hour of video even on a fast PC.
Ah. So I should resize down to 720x480 but what about the bitrate and frame rate? I shouldn't keep those as they are, right? Any idea what I should resize those too?
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,799
What I use is VideoReDo TVSuite (Windows only), it allows me to edit, remove anything like commercials, join videos, and burn DVDs. It wasn't free, $75, but its worth it.

It encodes to DVD type files, like .vob, and encodes to proper size, etc.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
Ah. So I should resize down to 720x480 but what about the bitrate
No. If you resize an HD source down to 720 x 480. then all else being equal the bit rate will plummet. Roughly speaking, a 720 x 480 interlaced MPEG-II target should have about 1/6 the size and bit rate of a 1080i source at the same frame rate. That is why an SD movie can usually easily fit on a DVD, while most HD movies cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
and frame rate? I shouldn't keep those as they are, right? Any idea what I should resize those too?
I wouldn't ordinarily muck with the frame rate unless your source is 1080p x 24 or 1080p x 60. If it is coming from a TiVo, it won't be.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
What I use is VideoReDo TVSuite (Windows only), it allows me to edit, remove anything like commercials, join videos, and burn DVDs. It wasn't free, $75, but its worth it.

It encodes to DVD type files, like .vob, and encodes to proper size, etc.
I absolutely concur.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
truegalbklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No. If you resize an HD source down to 720 x 480. then all else being equal the bit rate will plummet. Roughly speaking, a 720 x 480 interlaced MPEG-II target should have about 1/6 the size and bit rate of a 1080i source at the same frame rate. That is why an SD movie can usually easily fit on a DVD, while most HD movies cannot.


I wouldn't ordinarily muck with the frame rate unless your source is 1080p x 24 or 1080p x 60. If it is coming from a TiVo, it won't be.
Wow, thanks.

This is what gets me. Back when I used to download torrents of tv shows I missed (before I had my TiVo), I noticed people uploaded files that were smaller but still retained similar quality to the HD video they used before conversion.

To cure my curiosity, I checked the resolution, bit rate, and frame rate of a specific torrent and the bit rate was down to something along the lines of 1001 and frame rate down to 23. Those seem like HUGE drops from the original file yet the videos themselves still looked quite decent.

I guess they are using a professional style converter in order to do that and keep the videos looking so good.
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
I guess they are using a professional style converter in order to do that and keep the videos looking so good.
Or they are using VideoReDo TV Suite v.4 with h.264 encoding.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,991
Just to be clear, if you use VRD TVS3 to make the DVD, VRD will do the resizing that is needed -- you don't need to do it beforehand. As I said before it will take some CPU time to do this.

Instead of throwing away the HD resolution, have you considered making Blu-ray DVD's? Of course you have to have a BR burner drive to do this and suitable software, which doesn't include VRD. The only free software I know of (AVCHD) has a significant learning curve but I think you could purchase something for under $100 that would be easy to use. Part of the process includes recoding your MPG to H.264 (.mp4 or .m2ts) which also takes a lot of CPU cycles. But resolution and quality will be maintained at HD levels.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Just to be clear, if you use VRD TVS3 to make the DVD, VRD will do the resizing that is needed -- you don't need to do it beforehand. As I said before it will take some CPU time to do this.

Instead of throwing away the HD resolution, have you considered making Blu-ray DVD's? Of course you have to have a BR burner drive to do this and suitable software, which doesn't include VRD. The only free software I know of (AVCHD) has a significant learning curve but I think you could purchase something for under $100 that would be easy to use. Part of the process includes recoding your MPG to H.264 (.mp4 or .m2ts) which also takes a lot of CPU cycles. But resolution and quality will be maintained at HD levels.
Will VRD3 utilize a BD burner?
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
Wow, thanks.

This is what gets me. Back when I used to download torrents of tv shows I missed (before I had my TiVo), I noticed people uploaded files that were smaller but still retained similar quality to the HD video they used before conversion.

To cure my curiosity, I checked the resolution, bit rate, and frame rate of a specific torrent and the bit rate was down to something along the lines of 1001 and frame rate down to 23. Those seem like HUGE drops from the original file yet the videos themselves still looked quite decent.

I guess they are using a professional style converter in order to do that and keep the videos looking so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Or they are using VideoReDo TV Suite v.4 with h.264 encoding.
Those files must have been H.264 encoded. No mpeg2-encoded video is going to look "quite decent" at 1 Mbps unless your viewing it at 320x240 resolution. For HD resolution, you have to work really hard (read: long encoding time) to get "quite decent" PQ at 1 Mbps even with H.264 encoding -- actually I'm not sure it's even possible. (H.264 is inherently more compressive, and can produce the same PQ with 2X to 4X reduction in file size [or bitrate])
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Will VRD3 utilize a BD burner?
AFAIK it won't, since it won't generate BR images, which is why I said VRD wasn't suitable software for making BR discs. I think they want to add that feature -- some time.

Of course VRD TVS4 will generate HD H.264 videos that are suitable for authoring to a BR disc, but that's only part of the process.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
truegalbklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
What I use is VideoReDo TVSuite (Windows only), it allows me to edit, remove anything like commercials, join videos, and burn DVDs. It wasn't free, $75, but its worth it.

It encodes to DVD type files, like .vob, and encodes to proper size, etc.
Wow. This is a fantastic program. I am using the trial right now but I think I will purchase it when the trial expires. $100 or so is not bad for something that works this well.

It creates DVD's that are of high quality (as high quality as you can get without it being HD) and it is able to convert the .TiVo files perfectly. Love it.
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
Wow. This is a fantastic program. I am using the trial right now but I think I will purchase it when the trial expires. $100 or so is not bad for something that works this well.

It creates DVD's that are of high quality (as high quality as you can get without it being HD) and it is able to convert the .TiVo files perfectly. Love it.
Another thing I like about VideoReDo, is they have an excellent support forum.

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/index.php

There you can download beta versions that are more up to date (minor tweaks and bug fixes) than the release versions.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,015
VRD is right at the top of my list of "worth every penny" software.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,799
Another feature of VideoReDo, I use frequently is, Quickstream Fix.

It fixes the problem where the program does not show the length (timestamp) properly on the PC or Tivo.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
VRD is right at the top of my list of "worth every penny" software.
Again, I concur. I would say it is most definitely priced reasonably for the value delivered. It's cost me less than $0.05 per video processed, so far.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-18-2012 at 07:01 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Another feature of VideoReDo, I use frequently is, Quickstream Fix.

It fixes the problem where the program does not show the length (timestamp) properly on the PC or Tivo.
What's more, as long as "Ignore transport stream maps" is disabled (it's enabled by default), it also virtually eliminates the issues which cause the video to fail when transferred back to the TiVo, as otherwise happens from time to time.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
something along the lines of 1001 and frame rate down to 23. Those seem like HUGE drops from the original file yet the videos themselves still looked quite decent.
Both film and video rely upon an effect known as "persistence of vision". An image splashed across the retina will be retained in visual memory for about 1/20th of a second. If an image, moving or otherwise, is splashed across the retina more than about 20 times per second, the result is perceived as continuous by the mind. At rates lower than about 20 times per second, most people will perceive the image to flicker, and if the image is not static, the motion will not be perceived to be smooth. At 24 frames per second, almost no one perceives any flicker or jitter in the image.

That is for film. Video suffers an additional problem. For several reasons too technical to discuss here, video does not splash an entire image across the retina, however. Instead, it writes multiple lines across the screen, which are once again perceived as a smooth image by the brain despite its intermittent nature. Again, for reasons too technical to relate here, it also traditionally does not write an entire screen at once. Rather it breaks up the screen (or page) into two fields, one consisting of all the odd lines and one consisting of all the even lines. The fields are written at a rate of 60 fields per second, or 30 pages per second. This is known as interlaced video. Both because of the way the video is displayed and also because of the behavior of the phosphors in a classic CRT display, a video displayed in the traditional manner at 24 pages per second would have PQ problems. Thus the higher frame rate for video. Modern progressive displays, however, can manage to produce very decent PQ when displaying at 24fps, meaning in some cases no telecine conversion from 24 fps to 30/60fps is required.

Note for the sake of brevity, I have somewhat over-simplified much of the above information.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |