TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
shwru980r

Hulu CEO Resigns

http://blog.hulu.com/

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Odd announcement timing, although maybe they figure all the CES news will bury the headline more :/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
shwru980r

The number one priority for the next CEO is to open up the free HULU content to Google TV.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
The number one priority for the next CEO is to open up the free HULU content to Google TV.
"Open" is the problem. Not going to happen as long as the CableCos and networks are owners of Hulu.

With the consumers screaming while the bosses deny, deny, deny, he prolly resigned to save his sanity.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
How does that benefit Hulu at all? However, finally creating Hulu Plus for Google TV should happen sometime this year. Although, it will have little impact since Google TV has very little market share.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Odd announcement timing, although maybe they figure all the CES news will bury the headline more :/
It was announced several days ago so I doubt it had anything to do with CES.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
If you are talking about the free version I am guessing he/she will not agree with you, it is a licensing issue.

If you are talking about Hulu+ then maybe, really depends on if any of the new Google TV devices start to sell. So far I would consider Google TV a pretty big flop (and I have the Logitech version) with an even smaller market than TiVo.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Chris Gerhard

I don't know what the Google TV market is exactly, I believe Logitech, Sony, LG, Vizio and Hisense have combined for about 3 million units sold. Less than Roku and Apple TV but I believe bigger than the others. Amazon routinely has 3 Google TV boxes in its top 15 digital media players including a couple in the top 5.

I do not expect the free Hulu version to be offered for any of the streaming boxes, including Google TV but hopefully Google TV will finally get Hulu Plus. I have found the best solution for my household for Hulu on Google TV, recording using PlayLater to a USB drive and placing the drive in the Google TV USB input. The female head of the household thinks it works great and it is simple to do. DLNA servers aren't nearly as friendly for her or me for that matter but we do that also. Of course it is still the PC that receives Hulu, the only streaming media player licensed for the free Hulu. I understand that Hulu never got around to blocking Boxee but if it had amounted to anything before being abandoned, that would have happened.

We have Roku and Google TV in the household but Google TV does so much more, can reach so many more sites with content that Roku isn't used for much. Roku is simple and works great for what it does however.

Watch CES for new Google TV products again this year, including the ASUS Qube.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ASUS-...at-CES_id38363
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
shwru980r

The Hulu content can be had at other various sites anyway so Hulu is losing out on the hits the other sites are getting.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
mattack

in other words, "other various ILLEGAL" sites.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still have my Hulu+ subscription although I have not used it in a while. I put it on hold in the Summer and I guess I should have kept it on hold for awhile longer.

But it is only $8 a month. Less than a couple of coffees at Starbucks. I guess I should cancel it and put that $8 towards RedBox Instant when it launches.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
How does that benefit Hulu at all? However, finally creating Hulu Plus for Google TV should happen sometime this year. Although, it will have little impact since Google TV has very little market share.
The shows have commercials. What's the difference between someone watching a show on their PC or on their TV through a set top box? The only reason they have this limitation is because the content providers think that if they offer it on a TV screen people will stop watching their local broadcasts which include local commercials inserted by the broadcaster or cable company. It's all a big scheme to try and hold on to an old, outdated, business model which is being eaten away at anyway by DVRs.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
in other words, "other various ILLEGAL" sites.
PlayOn and PlayLater are not illegal and as long as Hulu blocks streaming boxes, the best way I have found to watch Hulu.

http://www.playlater.tv/
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What's the difference between someone watching a show on their PC or on their TV through a set top box?
The license. I never said I liked the limitation. But it isn't going away and is the reason there will never be support for regular Hulu on any set top box. Hulu Plus is where Hulu is going. I wouldn't be surprised to see the free version killed off in the next few years.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
magnus
Tivo User

I'd be okay with paying the $8 a month, if there were no commercials. Either one but not both Hulu. Until they either remove the commercials or the fee then Hulu Plus is not for me.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
buscuitboy

Thumbs down

I got a free 6 month Hulu Plus subscription when I got a Premiere. I have occasionally been using it, but my trial ends next month and I don't plan to keep it. Here is why:
  • I had NUMEROUS problems getting Hulu to work on my Premiere Box. Probably worked about only 50% of the time. Would get an error code the other times.
  • There are commercials and even this sometimes hung up my connection
  • cable network content that is available for free users (on PC) is NOT available for paid PLUS users. EXTREMEMLY BASS AKWARDS!!!!
  • Sometimes I got no audio on a device and would have to do a HARD reset (physically unplug unit)
  • Some content has been edited. Specficially, Saturday Night Live. I would hear about skits on this show and they were totally taken out on the Hulu version. UNACCEPTABLE

buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
PlayOn and PlayLater are not illegal and as long as Hulu blocks streaming boxes, the best way I have found to watch Hulu.

http://www.playlater.tv/
There is also Plex, which I use on my Roku players. I watch various networks feeds through it as well as regular Hulu. Nearly everything available on regular Hulu is also available directly from the network websites. Although not a lot of network sites can be accessed from Plex.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
P42

@moedaman, am I reading you correctly? If I have a Plex server running, I can watch non-Plus Hulu on my TV via the Plex channel on my Roku?
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
@moedaman, am I reading you correctly? If I have a Plex server running, I can watch non-Plus Hulu on my TV via the Plex channel on my Roku?
Yep, as long as you have the Hulu channel app installed in the Plex server and have the server running. Sadly it's only 480p, but it works. I also have all of the "Big 4" networks plus PBS and HGTV (for my wife) installed and can watch the shows from those websites through my Roku too. It worked great for watching The Mentalist episodes that weren't recorded right thanks to NFL over-runs.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
P42

Cool! Now just need my new desktop to hurry the hell up and get here Current desktop dates from '04 and can barely get out of it's own way
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote