TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
melindapaolino

I need help with moca, please.

Ok, I am so confused about moca and I need help!

I want to buy one, so I can use the stream one day, but im really confused.

I have a room in the basement. The router and modem are upstairs and there is no way to get an ethernet cable down to the basement or reach the modem or router.

I have comcast, and one little cable outlet thing behind my tv setup. from what I am understanding, can I buy a single moca adapter, plug it into my tivo, and then connect the coax cable from the adapter to the wall? is that how it works. please explain it relatively simple. I'm no good at networking!

thanks so much!
melindapaolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

A basic MoCa setup is: you would need 2 adapters, 1 goes to connect to your router port and a split from the cable. The other goes to the device you are networking (ie: Tivo with an ethernet port), and a split on the coax cable. The Premiere 4/XL4 has a built-in Moca adapter, so the split of coax is internal.

The networking traffic goes through the cable coax to the router. So, if you have cable TV and broadband internet (ie: DSL, cable internet), they have to be close by to each other to be able to connect, router and cable, Device and coax at the other end.

If you have problems with connectivity, wireless not possible, Moca not possible either, there is another possibility to explore, powerline networking where the network traffic is carried on your electrical lines.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-03-2012 at 09:12 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
melindapaolino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
A basic MoCa setup is: you would need 2 adapters, 1 goes to connect to your router port and a split from the cable. The other goes to the device you are networking (ie: Tivo with an ethernet port), and a split on the coax cable. The Premiere 4/XL4 has a built-in Moca adapter, so the split of coax is internal.

The networking traffic goes through the cable coax to the router. So, if you have cable TV and broadband internet (ie: DSL, cable internet), they have to be close by to each other to be able to connect, router and cable, Device and coax at the other end.

If you have problems with connectivity, wireless not possible, Moca not possible either, there is another possibility to explore, powerline networking where the network traffic is carried on your electrical lines.
Thanks, just to clarify, Can I plug an ethernet cable from my router to the adapter and a coax cable from the adapter to my cable outlet thing in an upstairs room, and then just plug a coax cable from the wall into my new tivo 4 and have the moca connection work?
melindapaolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

This might help....

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...d/2025/kw/moca

to try to simplify...

wall -> cable coax -> splitter -> modem -> router WAN port
{other side of splitter} -> moca - > router LAN port

~~~~ coax inside wall perhaps

cable coax from wall @Tivo -> splitter -> Cable Input
{other side of splitter} --> moca -> ethernet port
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-08-2012 at 02:04 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote