TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
GafferGoneSilly
Alias: Mare King

Going HD with TiVo and DirectV

I have been a happy TiVo owner for 12 years now. I had one of the first units, which I updated with a second HDD, and sold to one of my son's friends, who I believe is still using it. I have had two Series 2 units for a number of years now and have moved one of them into our motor home, which we live in full time, and hooked it into the DirectV system we bought for use on the road. All has worked well with this system for 3 plus years we have been full-time RVers but now we are ready to go HD. Now that the DirectV DVR with TiVo is available, my plan is to go with one of those for our satellite system, and also getting a TiVo Premier DVR for recording OTA and cable shows (when we can hook up to cable and/or get shows OTA. In Alaska this summer this has not always been possible, but this winter, in FL, we will have both). I have seen that DirectV claims that their TiVo DVR will not hook up to their full house system, but I am thinking, if it works the same as the older Series 2, that I should be able to hook the two TiVos together through our network system. Is this true? Will I also be able to use the TiVo Desktop software with the DirectV unit?

The other question I have about the DirectV DVR (THR-22 I guess the model number is) is how many shows can I record at once? I think the answer is 2, since there are 2 satellite connections. I assume it has two satellite receivers built in.

If this set up works as well as I think it will, It should be pretty sweet for us. Thanks in advance for any advice and/or answers.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
klramp

You should talk to DIRECTV first, I don't believe the will talk to anything but DTV tivos. I also don't believe you will have any of the newer tivo features. I was disappointed on how DTV dumbed down this box.
klramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The THR22 won't talk to anything. TiVo Desktop will only send audio files to the THR22. Two THR22s won't talk to each other. No streaming to other boxes or to PCs.

Yes, two tuners and record two shows at the same time.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
GafferGoneSilly
Alias: Mare King

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
The THR22 won't talk to anything. TiVo Desktop will only send audio files to the THR22. Two THR22s won't talk to each other. No streaming to other boxes or to PCs.

Yes, two tuners and record two shows at the same time.
Thanks, Steve. One more...will the Premier tune a satellite receiver? I think I saw that it will only do cable or OTA.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, the Premier is digital cable or OTA only.