TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
hicksman

Tivo HD shrinking Hard Drive

I've had a Tivo HD for several years now with no problems, but last night it started giving me out of space errors. The strange thing is, the number of shows on the tivo is very limited - there's no way i could be at capacity.

So i downloaded some program to tell me what was on my Tivo and its reporting that I have 56Gigs of space used and 0 GB free.

I know Hard drives recover from failure by marking sectors as no longer usable, which is a probable cause to this loss of space, but before i start cracking open the tivo and taking it out of commission, i was wondering if there was anything else i should try to help fix or validate the problem.

Oh, i should mention that i went to Tivo Diagnostics after getting the out of space error, where the screen hung for 10 minutes on "please wait"- i had to pull the plug on it. So technically i've rebooted

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
hicksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango

You can try the Kickstart 54.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
bshrock

Check the hard drive by running Kickstart 54 "Hard Drive Test" and if that passes run Kickstart 57 "Media File System (MFS) check".
The checks will take several hours or overnight to run.
Weaknees has instructions for running the Kickstarts Kickstart

Model of the S3 HD TiVo?
Which program did you use to find the free space?
Are you sure it was 56GB not Hours?
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Have you checked the "Recently Deleted" folder? I've heard on this forum that sometimes shows in there don't fall off like they should. In any case, try manually deleting anything in that folder.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Jonathan_S

Alternatively, have you set up any season passes recently set to automatically mark shows Keep Until I Delete (KUID)?

If there are a bunch of scheduled KUID episodes (for example if a station is running a marathon; or you set up a season pass to catch all back episodes of something heavily syndicated) the TiVo starts bitching about being out of space. It's not out of space yet, it just sees that if tries to recorde everything you've told it to over the next 12-14 days and nothing gets deleted it won't have room for all of them.

That wouldn't explain the trivial amount of space reported; but without knowing the program you used it seems more likely that it's doing something weird like not counting suggestions/deleted items in "used" but counting them for "free". IOW it might be reporting that your scheduled recording took 56 GB, and suggestions and/or deleted items filled up the other 100 or so gigs (which would be normal for a TiVo unless you'd be manually removing things from the suggestion and/or deleted items folder)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
rmcurtis

Which program did you download to report space? I know that TivoPlayList will show 0 free space by default, because it doesn't know how big your HD is. If you provide it with a total hard drive size, then it will show you free space.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksman View Post
Oh, i should mention that i went to Tivo Diagnostics after getting the out of space error, where the screen hung for 10 minutes on "please wait"- i had to pull the plug on it. So technically i've rebooted
Some data is incorrect or something has failed.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
hicksman

Wow, thanks for all your replies. According to the To Do List, i have a 12 hour window tonight to run the Kickstart 54 test.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

To answer some of your questions:
* I found a program called kmttg which seemed to have the features i needed without too much BS. Dunno if its the best, but that's what gave me the pie chart of how the drive was used.
* Model: Not sure, probably the earliest as I remember getting it almost as soon as it came out.
* I'm sure it was 56 GB, not Hours
* I checked the recently deleted folder, nothing there
* I do use KUID for many season pass shows. That's a good point but i looked at the To Do List and i dont see any marathons coming up

Anyway, thanks all for your help. I'll return when I have SMART data.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksman View Post
* I do use KUID for many season pass shows. That's a good point but i looked at the To Do List and i dont see any marathons coming up
I'm convinced that your problem stems from using KUID on your season passes.

What size is the hard drive?
How many total season passes do you have?
How many season passes do you have set to KUID?
How many shows are slated to record in the next 2 weeks?
Of those shows, how many will be set to KUID?
How many recordings do you already have in the Now Playing List set to KUID?
Do you record everything in HD?

These are all factors in how the Tivo calculates available hard drive space.
You give us the answers to the above questions and we should be able to tell if that is your problem or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
hicksman

I think you're right that the KUID was the culprit. I ran the Kickstart 54 which yielded all PASS'es and the Kickstart 57 which must have finished overnight and rebooted because I never saw a end-report but neither did anything to my Free Space status.

BUT, now a week later, the Tivo isn't complaining at all about being out of disk space and last night it read i was using 130GB of space (with 0 GB free) so i guess that this utility lead me astray.

Anyway, thank you all for your effort. Much appreciated.