TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Hell on Wheels 10/7/12 "Blood Moon/Blood Moon Rising"

Well.

Holy crap.

I can't believe they killed Lily. I knew when they killed Mr Toole and fatally wounded the Swede well before the battle that the battle was going to be bloody, but I really didn't see that coming.

And the Swede, he's really just a big ol' bald Norski Injun-wannabe Rasputin, isn't he? He'll be back, even if he was fatally wounded, tied up, and dropped off a railroad bridge into a river.

Should be an interesting shift in dynamics next season!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
john4200

I keep hoping the writing will improve. They have moments of brilliance, but then they have a mess like this finale. Several things made no sense.

How could Durant possibly think it was a good idea to ask Elam to kill Lily? Durant knew she told Bohannon about the fraud, so killing Lily would not keep the fraud from being known. And if Elam did not tell Bohannon, and did go through with it, how could Durant possibly think that Bohannon would not find out and retaliate? Same question for Elam? Only possible explanation is that Durant is out of his mind because of the laudanum (and Elam is just stupid), but Durant actually seemed lucid as long as he was doped up -- he knew that Lily would not leave even with the incentives his wife gave her.

Then there was the Indian attack. First, Bohannon knew that there were over a thousand Indians massing for an attack, but when the army did not provide sufficient reinforcements, instead of telling everyone to evacuate and running off with Lily, he sticks around and tries to fight them off with, what, less than a hundred men? Okay, explain that away by saying that Bohannon is stupid and arrogant (like Custer). But then the Indians attack and overrun everything, but right when they have nearly total victory, they retreat and leave everyone else alive, and the bridge unburned? WTF?

Finally, after the Swede kills Lily, Bohannon takes him all the way out to the bridge and politely walks him out there, by himself, with the Swede completely unbound (not even his hands tied as they walked to the center) to the only place within miles that the Swede has any chance to escape, and then Bohannon turns his back on the Swede? Are we to believe that Bohannon wanted the Swede to escape? So that he could again have a chance to hunt the man responsible for killing his lady?

The only thing that made good sense was that Lily died. She kept making really bad decisions, such as letting the Swede go, going against Durant without Bohannon's full support, and then staying in HoW with an impending Indian attack. If you keep foolishly risking your life, eventually your luck is going to run out. Well, unless you are the Swede.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Sure seemed like a series finale to me. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come back...

Interesting review HERE.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

Whoa. Didn't see Lily's death coming at all.

I said earlier that it didn't make sense for Durant to get Elam to kill Lily and it still makes no sense. Bohannon was pretty nonchalant about it though.

That Swede is one crazy mf'er. Wasn't he like half dead and burnt the hell up but he could still find pants and then overpower and strangle Lily? I really hope he doesn't show up next season. I already have Sons Of Anarchy as a show where the boss won't kill of a character who should have been killed a long time ago.

Damn, Mr. Toole. You never kill yourself over a woman, you idiot. Especially one who was going to go home with you if you would have just stop whining and listened to her.

I started ffwding through the church lady and the Irish guy's scenes.

I was surprised that the townies didn't burn Elam's house down 30 seconds after Toole's funeral.

In all honesty, I'd rather see another season of Hell On Wheels than the upcoming season of the Walking Dead.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
fmowry

Best new western currently on TV.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I said earlier that it didn't make sense for Durant to get Elam to kill Lily and it still makes no sense.
Actually, now that I think about it it did. She was the one who knew what Durant was up to, and how to prove it. Once Durant knew that she wasn't keeping it a secret (because Bohannon knew about it), she was too dangerous to let live.

A little surprising to realize that the Mrs was the kinder, gentler Durant! It will be fun to watch him fight to regain his status next season (assuming next season happens, of course).
Quote:
In all honesty, I'd rather see another season of Hell On Wheels than the upcoming season of the Walking Dead.
While I agree with you about Hell on Wheels, the next season of Walking Dead looks smoking hot. Last season was kind of a mess, but I'm willing to attribute that to the mid-stream show-runner change, and the restructuring of the season after it was already in production.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Actually, now that I think about it it did.
Stop thinking while you're on laudanum! You're making less sense than Durant.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it it did. She was the one who knew what Durant was up to, and how to prove it. Once Durant knew that she wasn't keeping it a secret (because Bohannon knew about it), she was too dangerous to let live.
The problem isn't with Durant wanting to whack [swede voice]Mrs. Lily Bell[/swede voice]. It's that he chose her lover's best (and only) friend to do it.

Hail Hydra!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
The problem isn't with Durant wanting to whack [swede voice]Mrs. Lily Bell[/swede voice]. It's that he chose her lover's best (and only) friend to do it.
Maybe he's the only hit-man on Durant's payroll?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

Just remembered this... Psalms and Elam are brothers? It definitely surprised me when Psalms informed Eva of that.

Hail Hydra!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
What's weirder is Elam tells Bohannon that he has to kill Lilly, and Bohannon goes, "Ho hum. Owell. Ya gonna do it?" "Didja try it?" No wonder that guy keeps losing his wimmen.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Just remembered this... Psalms and Elam are brothers? It definitely surprised me when Psalms informed Eva of that.
Oh. I was thinking more like "We're all brothers."

BTW, I'm catching up on the repeats of the 2005 "Into the West." There's even an episode called "Hell on Wheels." Betcha that was some inspiration.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA
Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
chsscgas

I wonder with a lot of the main characters being killed off if they had only signed them to a 2 year contract not knowing if the series would be a success. Then they couldn't sign them for additional years.
chsscgas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsscgas View Post
I wonder with a lot of the main characters being killed off if they had only signed them to a 2 year contract not knowing if the series would be a success. Then they couldn't sign them for additional years.
I think that's pretty unlikely...the standard TV show contracts run 5-7 years, and there's no obligation (if the show is canceled or not renewed, the producers aren't on the hook for the balance), so there's no incentive for a shorter contract...unless they already know that character isn't going to be around.

And even then, I suspect in most cases (unless it's a higher-profile actor who won't make a longer commitment) they'd go with the standard contract anyway, on the theory that if the actor becomes a runaway star on the show, they can change their mind about killing him/her.

TV contracts tend to be pretty one-sided, in the producers' favor. Then again, it seems to be pretty easy for actors to walk away or renegotiate, so in practical terms I guess it balances out.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #15
fmowry

I like the Swede much more when he was just a normal ahole and not the weird, white, bald Injun wannabe. It seemed so unnecessary for the story.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I like the Swede much more when he was just a normal ahole and not the weird, white, bald Injun wannabe. It seemed so unnecessary for the story.
This....as someone else stated, that "dancing" scene among the carnage was just plain weird and out of context for me. I'm convinced (despite the decent ratings) that this show is done.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Sadara
huh?

I was disappointed by this season all around. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come back. I really can't believe they killed Lily off, even if she was making constant dumb moves! Some of her dumb moves benefited the bad guys.... and once you made a dumb move against Durant, I think it wouldn't have mattered if she died or not. I honestly think his wife was more eager to have her dead.... and only tried to make it look like it was all on her husband. Women are crazy like that.

Anyway, even if it does come back, I have a feeling we'll be done watching it.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
Family

Wow! Hell On Wheels might not be the best series on television, but it is certainly better than most. I don't get the hate. This was an enjoyable episode & season. Killing Lily & Toole were good decisions for the arc. It opens new possibilities and those two were the least interesting characters.

I'm hoping Hell On Wheels comes back for season 3.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
Wow! Hell On Wheels might not be the best series on television, but it is certainly better than most. I don't get the hate. This was an enjoyable episode & season. Killing Lily & Toole were good decisions for the arc. It opens new possibilities and those two were the least interesting characters.

I'm hoping Hell On Wheels comes back for season 3.
I love the show, just don't like the turn the Swede took. And Lily was simply beautiful so I'll miss her.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
And Lily was simply beautiful so I'll miss her.
Maybe she'll come back as a vampire.

That would certainly take the show in a different direction...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
fmowry

Quote:

That would certainly take the show in a different direction...
Cowboys vs. Vampires? I'd watch.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The first episode of Into the West has the Lakota nipple stretch stare into the sun for a vision thing. The narration says he's supposed to stand day and night until the pins break through his skin. Then they lay him in sage.

I thought on Hell on Wheels it was the Cheyenne and it wasn't so clear that the kid was supposed to be a medicine man.

Now I wonder if that is documented or they used the same source or writers.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA
Old 10-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
VegasVic
Craps Player

Yeah sometimes the show doesn't make sense but I like it and hope it comes back
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.

Were the ratings that crappy that HOW might not be brought back?

Hail Hydra!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
Family

Quote:
Or maybe she's not dead. Wasn't this entire episode Bohannon offering his version of what happened? Perhaps the story is not 100% accurate because he is somehow protecting Lily by making people think she's dead.

For one thing Elam was hired to kill her during this episode.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #26
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Sure seemed like a series finale to me. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come back..
+1
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote