TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #3241
alanerickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingb View Post
My apologies for not sloughing through ~108 pages of this thread, a quick simple question:

I just ordered a 3TB green drive to replace the 500GB in my new Roamio. Do I need to do anything special to use ALL of the 3TB, eg mfsr, etc? Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Not really.
I'm looking at adding a 3TB drive also. Wouldn't msfr need to be ran after installing the new drive in order for ALL of the drive to be available? If I'm only adding a 2TB drive is it still worth it to run msfr to "align" the drive? Thanks.

Last edited by alanerickson; 01-16-2016 at 09:54 AM.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #3242
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
I'm looking at adding a 3TB drive also. Wouldn't msfr need to be ran after installing the new drive in order for ALL of the drive to be available? If I'm only adding a 2TB drive is it still worth it to run msfr to "align" the drive? Thanks.
It doesn't work on 2TB drives (only 3TB and larger) and it's not necessary to use all of the drive with a 3TB drive but it will align it for you.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=528428

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #3243
NashGuy

I noticed that NeweggFlash has the Seagate Pipeline 2TB HD (the same line as the 500GB drive that TiVo uses in the base Roamio/OTA) on sale until Tues. for $50 with free shipping:

http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/9SIA5AD2HT2468

From the specs I read, it looks like it uses slightly more power than the comparable DVR-specific Western Digital drive (AV-GP) but is still pretty low power.

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #3244
NashGuy

I noticed that NeweggFlash has the Seagate Pipeline 2TB HD (the same line as the 500GB drive that TiVo uses in the base Roamio/OTA) on sale until Tues. for $50 with free shipping:

http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/9SIA5AD2HT2468

From the specs I read, it looks like it uses slightly more power than the comparable DVR-specific Western Digital drive (AV-GP) but is still pretty low power.

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #3245
Hamstring

Can you still use the extender dvr if you upgrade the drive?

Hamstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #3246
ChrisFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I bought a LiteON Laptop Charger AC Adapter Power Supply PA-1041-71 12V 3.33A 40W for my Roamio Basic. Works well. The thought in this is that there would be increased power draw from the larger drives and the units power adapter may not be able to provide additional power needed causing system instability. There is no definitive proof of this only that some people experience some problems when they upgraded that went away with a power supply that can provide more power.
Just wanted to provide a data point for those interested in upgrading their Hard Drives.
I just installed a 5TB WD Green WD50EZRX IntelliPower drive in a Roamio Basic (and disabled the idle timer with WDIDLE3), and all was great for 24 hours, after which I had all the front panel lights flashing and the TiVo was stuck at the start up screen.
I had previously purchased a Woot OTA for spare parts and swapped the power brick, which immediately fixed the issue.
I've since ordered the LiteON power brick from Amazon as I'm certain the 2A OEM brick isn't up to the task.

Edit: Jan 31, 2016 - The 3.3 amp LiteON power brick completely fixed the issue...a $25 dollar fix that is working perfectly (and the barrel plug fit the TiVo very well)

Last edited by ChrisFix; 01-31-2016 at 08:00 PM.
ChrisFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #3247
JoeKustra
Cable only

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RGgp3Nwya1uKgQ

I guess I'll find out since I just installed one in my basic Roamio. My other basic Roamio has the WD10EURX (I had it on hand already), and no issues, but thanks for the power brick information.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #3248
mickinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RGgp3Nwya1uKgQ

I guess I'll find out since I just installed one in my basic Roamio. My other basic Roamio has the WD10EURX (I had it on hand already), and no issues, but thanks for the power brick information.
One would think the 5tb one has more platters. ie more weight on spindle motor.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #3249
ShoutingMan

Has anyone had problems with TiVo transfer feature after a hard drive upgrade? This feature was working pretty stably for the previous six months or so. After my hard drive upgrade, transfer to my iPad mostly fails. I don't know if they're related, or if this is TiVo software updates and TiVo app problems.

Currently I get a T[0x1000000] error about 100MB into a transfer.

ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #3250
mattack

I think it's completely unrelated. I get basically constant errors trying to download or stream shows, whether at home or away from home. once in a rare while I have had a successful download (i.e. ONE try or even a very few tries is a 'success' in my book though it should really always work unless the network literally goes away).. But usually I have lots of errors, have to wait a very long time.

The error #s used to be very predictable.. on a recent update, the #s changed, but the symptoms didn't.

Since I already download shows and watch them on my iPad with VLC (currently I do that with some shows I want to watch faster than realtime), I may end up doing that with dramas and such and watch them 'normally' in VLC, instead of trying to put up with the show downloading.

It's very very broken.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #3251
ggieseke

Fyi

MFS Reformatter version 1.0.0.4 (available in the Upgrade forum) adds support for 8TB drives.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: