TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
wildhog

TiVo HD having issues

I have a TiVO HD with 500 MB expansion drive. Last night we tried to watch some shows but none of the titles showed up in the now playing menu and scrolling through the menus was really slow. I did a system restart this morning and get just a blank gray screen; nothing else shows up and pressing the keys on the remote does nothing.

Anyone have this problem or know what's going on?

Thanks
wildhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhog View Post
I have a TiVO HD with 500 MB expansion drive. Last night we tried to watch some shows but none of the titles showed up in the now playing menu and scrolling through the menus was really slow. I did a system restart this morning and get just a blank gray screen; nothing else shows up and pressing the keys on the remote does nothing.

Anyone have this problem or know what's going on?

Thanks

Going from the welcome screen to a grey screen (without ever seeing a trace of the just a few more minutes screen) usually means a problem with communication between the motherboard and the hard drive.

This can be caused by several different things, and in your case I couldn't say if its' the internal or the external drive with which the motherboard can't communicate, assuming that the most likely explanation for your grey screen is the accurate one in your situation.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
wildhog

OK. So after checking the forums I opened up the TiVo box to find a bad capacitor. I replaced it this afternoon and plugged everything back in. The TiVo started up just fine and is connected to my wireless network. I can even see it on kmttg and I can transfer my files.

I get a red/orange menu screen on the TiVo with no items to select and pressing buttons on the remote does nothing. I can't even get to live TV.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhog View Post
OK. So after checking the forums I opened up the TiVo box to find a bad capacitor. I replaced it this afternoon and plugged everything back in. The TiVo started up just fine and is connected to my wireless network. I can even see it on kmttg and I can transfer my files.

I get a red/orange menu screen on the TiVo with no items to select and pressing buttons on the remote does nothing. I can't even get to live TV.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
Sounds like some of your software got scrambled.

Maybe, no promises, switching to the alternate partitions would fix things.

Try KickStart 51.

If that doesn't do it, try KS 52.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

I assume you have rebooted?

Also, those older 500 GB WD boxes can cause issues as they die. Make sure it has a known good cord to the Tivo and that there is no issue with the drive.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
wildhog

Before trying the KS code suggestion I pressed every button on the remote control just to make sure it wasn't working at all. I'm not sure which button it was but it restarted the TiVo and all the menus and recorded shows displayed. Now everything is back to working properly.

Thanks for all of your help.