TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
ahwman

Tuning adapter on timer to fix suggestions

Like many, I've had to resort to putting my tuning adapters (Motorola) on timer's to get suggestions working again. Though this works, it's creating another issue whereby sometimes I wake up only to find that the light on the TA is blinking indicating that it is not synced. I then have to power cycle it for 2-3 minutes and usually that gets it back in sync. Right now I have my TA's set to power off at 3:00am and back on at 6:00am. I certainly can't expect my family to have to do this when I'm not around. Has anyone else noticed this odd out of sync issue with their TA's after powering off/on?

FYI, I've been working closely with TiVo on this issue and they maintain that this is an issue with my channel map being incorrect. They've had me try erasing/deleting everything and the problem still exists. They've also sent a script to my TiVo's which is supposed to rewrite the channel map, again no success - same issue. Hopefully they'll get a handle on this soon and have a fix for us unfortunate people living in SDV networks.
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
....... Hopefully they'll get a handle on this soon and have a fix for us unfortunate people living in SDV networks.
Yeah, there's a long and growing list of such hopes.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
Like many, I've had to resort to putting my tuning adapters (Motorola) on timer's to get suggestions working again. Though this works, it's creating another issue whereby sometimes I wake up only to find that the light on the TA is blinking indicating that it is not synced. I then have to power cycle it for 2-3 minutes and usually that gets it back in sync. Right now I have my TA's set to power off at 3:00am and back on at 6:00am. I certainly can't expect my family to have to do this when I'm not around. Has anyone else noticed this odd out of sync issue with their TA's after powering off/on?

FYI, I've been working closely with TiVo on this issue and they maintain that this is an issue with my channel map being incorrect. They've had me try erasing/deleting everything and the problem still exists. They've also sent a script to my TiVo's which is supposed to rewrite the channel map, again no success - same issue. Hopefully they'll get a handle on this soon and have a fix for us unfortunate people living in SDV networks.
I purchased a timer and managed to figure out how to set it to power down my Motorola TA between 1:00 am and 5:00 am Sundays and Thursdays. The first Sunday, no problem occurred. The first Thursday was today, and I too found it blinking this morning and had to tinker to get it operating again. I only *wish* I had any idea how to avoid this...

I also find that the nature of suggestion recordings has changed drastically now that I'm periodically powering off my TA. Before, I'd frequently get TNT recordings of The Mentalist and Castle, both of which I like very much and often watch in reruns from there. Now with the TA trickery, I'm almost never seeing those and I'm getting lots of movies and stuff that seldom recorded via suggestions in the past.

All in all, I don't feel like my TA-equipped TiVo is worth what it was to me before...sadly. And I fault TiVo for acting like it's not their issue!
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
SNJpage1

Turns out what I thought you were talking about isnt what I posted so I went back and edited this post to add this part. Even though it wont fix your problem the info might help people with older Tivo's and the cable company going all digital.

The tuning boxs you are talking about is the digital to analog adapter you need after the cable company went all digital? If this is true call the cable company and see what their Digital Starter Package costs. My parents had to get one of those adapters but while calling to arrange for one I found out that the Digital Starter Package was the same price as what they were paying for the Basic package. However, it added the music channels, some extra movie channels like Encore and a few other regular channals. It also included one of their boxs that can be used with the older Tivo boxes.

Last edited by SNJpage1 : 02-28-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: correct my mistake
SNJpage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
Turns out what I thought you were talking about isnt what I posted so I went back and edited this post to add this part. Even though it wont fix your problem the info might help people with older Tivo's and the cable company going all digital.

The tuning boxs you are talking about is the digital to analog adapter you need after the cable company went all digital? If this is true call the cable company and see what their Digital Starter Package costs. My parents had to get one of those adapters but while calling to arrange for one I found out that the Digital Starter Package was the same price as what they were paying for the Basic package. However, it added the music channels, some extra movie channels like Encore and a few other regular channals. It also included one of their boxs that can be used with the older Tivo boxes.
This is *not* a digital-to-analog adapter. I think I've heard of those and that they're called DTA devices or something.

In markets where cable providers use Switched Digital Video (SDV), it's required to have two-way communication. The CableCARD devices used in the TiVo HD and newer Premiere devices can't do that, so the Tuning Adapter was created (originally called a Tuning Resolver). It connects to these TiVo models via USB. When tuning to one of the channels on SDV, it sends that request upstream to the cableco's headend.

Different topic entirely.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote