TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
nycityuser

New DirecTiVo with old satellite dish?

I acquired the original DirecTiVo and associated dish back in 2004. I bought two receiver boxes, both of which are connected to non-HD tube televisions.

Last year one of the DirecTiVo boxes stopped working and I replaced it for free with one of DirecTv's generic DVRs. I don't much like it.

My other DirecTiVo has started giving me trouble. Like the first one it spontaneously reboots itself on occasion.

My question is this: Can I acquire the new DirecTiVo box without replacing my satellite dish? I don't need to use the HD functionality. I just want to get the same content I currently receive but be able to use the TiVo interface.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Your reboots on the TiVo are probably from the recent screwups at DirecTV. See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495885

I don't know the answer to your dish question.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
ADent

I think the new boxes are compatible with the older dishes. Exactly what dish are you using?
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
One needs a dish that can see the 99 and 103 satellites for HD.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
I think the new boxes are compatible with the older dishes. Exactly what dish are you using?
I actually don't know what dish I'm using. It was one of the more advanced ones in its day - tri-LNB or something like that at that time.

Since starting this thread I found that there is a $20/month premium fee for the new TiVo box so am less interested in getting it. Is this fee true?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycityuser View Post
I actually don't know what dish I'm using. It was one of the more advanced ones in its day - tri-LNB or something like that at that time.

Since starting this thread I found that there is a $20/month premium fee for the new TiVo box so am less interested in getting it. Is this fee true?
Not quite. That's the fee for HD Services. Not unique to just HD Tivos.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Not quite. That's the fee for HD Services. Not unique to just HD Tivos.
Oh OK, good to know. I knew that DirecTv charges extra for HD content but the FAQ on the TiVo box wasn't clear about this $20 fee. It made it seem like it was a fee associated with the box itself, not with the premium HD content.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The TiVo fee is $5/mo for the THR22. I do keep seeing references to $20/mo for HD services but I am being charged only $10 (and I get that rebated each month.) Does anyone actually pay $20?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
The TiVo fee is $5/mo for the THR22. I do keep seeing references to $20/mo for HD services but I am being charged only $10 (and I get that rebated each month.) Does anyone actually pay $20?
I think it may have changed recently. I'm only paying $10, also.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
wbgolfer

Need Help Replacing DVR

I saw the post below and I'm in a very similar situation -
I have SD TV's DO NOT want HD !!!!
Have an 18" round dish. Cannot get to the third satelitte - Directv has confirmed this. That is why I'm still with the 18" round. So my question is the same as the one I copied into this post.

Copied post follows:I acquired the original DirecTiVo and associated dish back in 2004. I bought two receiver boxes, both of which are connected to non-HD tube televisions.

Last year one of the DirecTiVo boxes stopped working and I replaced it for free with one of DirecTv's generic DVRs. I don't much like it.

My other DirecTiVo has started giving me trouble. Like the first one it spontaneously reboots itself on occasion.

My question is this: Can I acquire the new DirecTiVo box without replacing my satellite dish? I don't need to use the HD functionality. I just want to get the same content I currently receive but be able to use the TiVo interface.
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
wbgolfer

Need Help Replacing DVR

I saw the post below and I'min a very similar situation -
I have SD TV's DO NOT want HD !!!! Have an 18" round dish. Cannotget to the third satelitte - Directv has confirmed this. That is why I'm still with the 18" round. So my question is the same as the one Icopied into this post.

Copied post follows:I acquired the original DirecTiVo and associated dish back in 2004. I bought two receiver boxes, both of which are connected to non-HD tube televisions.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
One needs a dish that can see the 99 and 103 satellites for HD.
So are you saying that you need to see those satellites only if you want HD content? If you don't want HD content then the new DirecTiVo box will work for SD content?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
nycityuser, that is correct. If you want SD only, then any non-SWM dish that can see the 101 satellite will work fine - with one exception. If you are in a local market where the locals are on the 99 or 103 satellites, that won't work. But NYC is not one of these.

wbgolfer, if you don't want HD, then you're ok too. Keep in mind, though, that DirecTV may charge you for HD even if you're not using it.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
wbgolfer

Steve and the others - Thanks for the info -

I must keep the old reliable 18" round dish- Directv tried to upgrade me to an oval that could see all three birds - NG. So back up went the 18"er.

As I mentioned I'm very happy with SD - I'm a bit older (65+) so HD doesn't do anything for me.

I just wanted to be sure that I did not have to re-wire - as I presently run two Series 2 TIVO DVR's off of a Dual LNB. I use a Zinwell Switch to split the signal from two into four wires - two for each TIVO.

So with the recent problems with Series 2's I need to consider my options.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm curious - what do you have against the 3-sat dish?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
wbgolfer

Steve - I have nothing against the 3 sat dish. (NOTE: I only want SD)
The problem is location - mine - Directv tried to install the 3 sat dish but could not get a strong enough signal for the 3rd sat. My neighbor (a tree hugger) will not let me trim back the limbs. Directv guy told me that I probably could get a signal in the winter (no leaves). However, they would not say I would get the signal after the Spring.
Someone did mention that - I could use an oval dish, don't recall which one, and just "not Use" the 3rd satelite - something about my using SD service - so the 3rd sat was not necessary.
Anyway I decided I didn't want to try something that was sort of up in the air.
SO - here I am looking to upgrade my Series 2 TIVO's (for SD only) and not wanting to re-invent my cabling/zinwells.
Would even be willing to do a direct purchase - if necessary - my concern is with the age of my present units. In fact, if I can I would only replace one at a time. Just don't know if it's douable ????
Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There's no reason for you to change dishes, then. Any boxes you get will be a swap-in replacement for what you have now.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
wbgolfer

Steve - Thank you for the replies and your help.
-- Bill --