TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #391
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

mkfs, not fsck. (make filesystem, not file system check)

--Carlos "yes, I bit on that hook" V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #392
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Just watched the Teen Tournament and I was surprised at the Tie Breaker. I don't remember seeing that done before.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #393
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Just watched the Teen Tournament and I was surprised at the Tie Breaker. I don't remember seeing that done before.
Yep, that was a pretty rare moment on Jeopardy. I was actually surprised since it happened so abruptly. I didn't know that they were going to do a sudden death question and that whoever rang in fastest and answered it would win on the spot.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #394
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
In a regular season game, if there's a tie, both continue on to the next game. There has even been a three way tie.

So the tie breaker only happens in the final game of a tournament.

I liked the kid who won. He talks a bit like Kripke from BBT.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #395
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
In a regular season game, if there's a tie, both continue on to the next game. There has even been a three way tie.

So the tie breaker only happens in the final game of a tournament.

I liked the kid who won. He talks a bit like Kripke from BBT.
But he talks a lot faster.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #396
astrohip
Stuart F

I've seen it before, but it's not common. I'm not a fan of it. After all the effort to win a tournament (or tie), to be resolved by who rings in first seems... less noble. I'm not sure what would be better; maybe another FJ-type question?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #397
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Another FJ question could lead to another tie. Plus, they don't have the TV time for it.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #398
Silverman

Solution is simple, just keep asking regular items till tie is broken, then show only the one that was not answered correctly so it fits in the time allotted on TV. You could add the others to the online website for those wanting to see them, thus pleasing all without the silly first buzz wins thing. Much fairer.
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #399
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
A second FJ round would be interesting. Then it comes down to betting strategy. Depending on the category, a contestant should bet either everything or nothing. But then, if they know that their opponent is betting nothing, then they only have to bet $1. But if they're opponent knows that they're only betting a dollar, then. . .

Back to the Princess Bride Iocane Powder scene.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #400
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

When I saw it was a tie, I expected them to declare co-champions. That seems fairer to me than be abrupt, one-question playoff.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #401
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
I have seen this before, but not for a tournament final; I think there was a tie for the fourth wild card spot in another tournament.

I am pretty sure that the earliest tournaments had a different tiebreaker that didn't involve a question. For example, I think the tiebreaker in the first Tournament of Champions final would have been whoever had the higher score at the end of the first day (either that, or whoever had the higher semi-final score, but that wouldn't have been fair as one contestant could have had easier questions and/or weaker opponents).

Does the Teen Tournament need "a" winner? I know there was a time when the Teen Tournament winner qualified for the Tournament of Champions, but I don't think they do that any more.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #402
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I've seen it before, but it's not common. I'm not a fan of it. After all the effort to win a tournament (or tie), to be resolved by who rings in first seems... less noble. I'm not sure what would be better; maybe another FJ-type question?
Penalty kicks?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #403
busyba
The Funcooker

Cage fight.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #404
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I have seen this before, but not for a tournament final; I think there was a tie for the fourth wild card spot in another tournament.

I am pretty sure that the earliest tournaments had a different tiebreaker that didn't involve a question. For example, I think the tiebreaker in the first Tournament of Champions final would have been whoever had the higher score at the end of the first day (either that, or whoever had the higher semi-final score, but that wouldn't have been fair as one contestant could have had easier questions and/or weaker opponents).

Does the Teen Tournament need "a" winner? I know there was a time when the Teen Tournament winner qualified for the Tournament of Champions, but I don't think they do that any more.
Well, the winner gets $75k. They don't want to pay that twice. Plus. It's a tournament. There should be a single winner.