TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

shark tank 2-15-13

is that steering wheel something that is an entire unit or something that you slip on like a cover? cause no way is someone gonna spend the money to swap out a steering wheel from a car sitting in their driveway. i sure know i wouldnt try such a thing!

i think it was in the editing but there's no way kev is stupid but the way he focused on the 50 dollar shipping muffins was pointless. the woman said a huge portion of her sales were local. plus you arent OUT the shipping as a cost unless someone actually calls for shipping. so i think that was overblown. i also didnt hear anyone asking if this was patented or if someone could copy it

the sushi thing looked interesting but it seemed like they were doing ok so i really dont get why they needed money, i must be forgetting something. it reminded me of a subway sandwich shop..building your own

the shrink thing was laughable...makes me want to hang a shingle out on my website and do that. plus her pricing strategy seemed a tad complicated. plus her not knowing the basic numbers makes me wonder how she makes any money.

i like seeing an invention they didnt take the bait on being successful. proved them wrong and maybe now they will invest at a higher price

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
BrandonRe

Re the online counseling service. That is a very tricky business right now. The tech is light years ahead of licensing laws. I am a mental health professional (LCSW) licensed in Louisiana where I live. Legally I can offer online counseling only to residents of Louisiana. There is no national licensure nor much in the way of true reciprocity. Each state has similar laws, which sort of negates the whole concept of Internet based practice. It's a field where licensing bodies have to catch up to new opportunities.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Hank
AC•FTW

The steering wheel was a slip-over thing. But it's stupid. There are dozens of reasons why one might have to remove one hand or the other while driving -- turn on the wipers, radio, adjust the heat/AC, etc. It was also pretty basic invention, not that ground breaking. It also has to be completely wireless (they didn't talk about that part, I did see some wires there). Anyway, I think that's a case of a bunch of kids whose parents think they're brilliant, but they're just regular kids.

The s'more thing is not patentable or protectable in any way whatsoever (except for the name).

The sushi guys just wanted cheap cash and the exposure. I don't think they wanted any deal.

Personally, the pre-screening for these pitches leaves a lot lacking. They could do a much better job at filtering out these nut-ball cases. American Inventor was better in that respect, that they showed hundreds of nutball inventions, but only a few really good ones got through.

I did notice a bug that said "Casting for next season.. contact xxx". Casting??? That's a strange word to use for the participants. Makes it sound totally scripted.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
newsposter
Poster of News

yea the kids are just gonna slip off the cover if it's not a permanent wheel! funny.

also on long hiway trips i regularly drive with one hand on the bottom of the wheel but i realize i'm not their market

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
Re the online counseling service. That is a very tricky business right now. The tech is light years ahead of licensing laws. I am a mental health professional (LCSW) licensed in Louisiana where I live. Legally I can offer online counseling only to residents of Louisiana. There is no national licensure nor much in the way of true reciprocity. Each state has similar laws, which sort of negates the whole concept of Internet based practice. It's a field where licensing bodies have to catch up to new opportunities.
it would be handled much like prepaid legal services.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Personally, the pre-screening for these pitches leaves a lot lacking. They could do a much better job at filtering out these nut-ball cases. American Inventor was better in that respect, that they showed hundreds of nutball inventions, but only a few really good ones got through.
Just like with American Idol, having some of the nutty ones get through is what makes it entertaining.

Heck, having the woman who didn't know her numbers…. wow.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote