TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #31
mattack

What is the cheapest thing that will do Amazon Prime streaming? (That hooks to a TV..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #32
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
What is the cheapest thing that will do Amazon Prime streaming? (That hooks to a TV..)
Well Roku LT is $49 and so is the Netgear NeoTV Streaming Player. Here is a list of devices http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Death View Post
Not snarky - it the same solution I wound up with, and it's considerably better (Amazon Prime streaming too).
Amazon streaming is only 720P. The TiVo gets the 1080P24 encodes from Amazon(if available).

But for getting titles from Amazon that the TiVos can't access, The Roku boxes are the ones I prefer to use. But since they are lower resolution, if I'm able to watch it on my TiVos, then they are what I use to watch, since most of the content I get from Amazon is available in 1080P24, and none of the Amazon streaming devices have access to that.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-10-2013 at 07:36 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The chipset does not scale to 1080P. The max resolution it scales to is 1080i. The reason the panny and other devices have no issues is because they are able to scale content to 1080P.
I have to admit that I don't really understand the specifics here, but does the Panasonic have to do any scaling at all if the input signal is 1080p24? In that instance isn't it just passing the signal through?
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #35
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Amazon streaming is only 720P. The TiVo gets the 1080P24 encodes from Amazon(if available).

But for getting titles from Amazon that the TiVos can't access, The Roku boxes are the ones I prefer to use. But since they are lower resolution, if I'm able to watch it on my TiVos, then they are what I use to watch, since most of the content I get from Amazon is available in 1080P24, and none of the Amazon streaming devices have access to that.
How's the quality compared to VUDU HDX/ Blu-ray?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
I have to admit that I don't really understand the specifics here, but does the Panasonic have to do any scaling at all if the input signal is 1080p24? In that instance isn't it just passing the signal through?
The tivo can pass through 1080p24 also. The problem is when netflix switches to something other than 1080p24. Then the tivo has to use 1080i (or whatever else is enabled) since it cannot scale to 1080p, it can only pass it through. Then you get the annoying resolution switching on your tv. In your case the tv doesn't have to switch resolution because the blu-ray player is able to output 1080p24, regardless of what netflix is sending. The tivo can do that too, if you only enable say 1080i. If you enable 1080p, then you risk the resolution switching problem.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote