Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #91
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud View Post
Do we know if Robin has any sisters? Could "Aunt" Robin really be Aunt Robin?
That's interesting. Does Ted speak to the kids about Aunt Lily and Uncle Marshall? I don't think so (although I might not be conscious of it). It could be that it's Robin's or Barney's sister.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #92
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
That's interesting. Does Ted speak to the kids about Aunt Lily and Uncle Marshall? I don't think so (although I might not be conscious of it). It could be that it's Robin's or Barney's sister.
Ted class them Aunt Lily, Uncle Marshall, Uncle Barney, and Aunt Robin when speaking to the kids.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #93
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
Ted class them Aunt Lily, Uncle Marshall, Uncle Barney, and Aunt Robin when speaking to the kids.
I couldn't remember but for some reason I noticed Aunt Robin. Maybe because of all the speculation early on that Robin would be the mother.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #94
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Does he pronounce it "ant" or "auwnt"? This could affect my theory that most of the characters are actually ants and Ted is an insane person in the looney bin who rambles on ceaselessly about his time at a bar to some ants in the asylum.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #95
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post

Yeah, because that's what I said. Seriously. Geez.

When TV is dull, I lose interest. Last two weren't bad, so it held my attention.
Pretty much exactly what you said on the previous episode when you missed the entire plot point.

Originally Posted by DevdogAZ
You watched this episode and didn't recognize the discussions about them hiding in the closet and all having Ted's stuff?
Yeah, go figure. To my credit, it was several days later and I was distracted doing something else while watching.

I have so much checked out on this show.

Last edited by TonyD79 : 12-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #96
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
No one's sitting here saying that your love of the show has prevented you from saying that this season has been subpar. Thus, we're not invalidating your opinion, as you did when you suggested that Angie's dislike of the season has prevented her from recognizing the greatness of this episode.

This season has been fine, in your opinion. I think the general consensus is that the show is on a downward spiral, if not an outright nosedive. Because there's an overarching mythology to this show and a major question to still be answered, it's unreasonable to suggest people just stop watching, especially when episodes like this one show that the show still has potential.

I'm disappointed that the show will continue beyond this year, but I'll keep watching.
Oh bullcrap.

I enjoy the show. Come here to read discussion and see all the negativism. That invalidates my enjoyment.

Anyone who is disappointed a show is still on the air should not be watching it and crap on those of us who enjoy it.

It is a TiVo community phenomenon that always claims shows go downhill. Go back and watch the old shows. In most if those cases, the show is the same.

It is often just that people always want something new and get bored with consistency.

HIMYM is the same show it always was.

And as the ratings are holding, I think that the "consensus" here (in quotes because when you disagree, you get slapped down so no one has a clue what the consensus really is) is in th minority. It is cool here to dump on shows previously liked. It happens over and over again. When I point it out (again), I get told I am wrong.

But it happened again with his show.

It is just as clever as it always was but it has to be portrayed as bad. And if you don't go along with the majority, you are wrong.

Well, suck it.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #97
mdougie

One thing we know for sure about what will and won't happen is that the mother doesn't succeed in stopping Ted from being an overly emotional sappy wuss. I mean all these stories about how he met their mother.

The most amazing thing about HIMMYM is that anyone could put up with Ted, much less procreate with him.
mdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #98
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

When I think about it further, there might be some kind of satisfaction to actually get to see a season with the mother. I'm okay with it.

As long as it's not Robin. Or anyone from the past. I'd really like to see someone new who will call Ted on his pomposity.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #99
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
When I think about it further, there might be some kind of satisfaction to actually get to see a season with the mother. I'm okay with it.

As long as it's not Robin. Or anyone from the past. I'd really like to see someone new who will call Ted on his pomposity.
Yes, I agree with that. The best thing about introducing the Mother and then getting to see some stories with her would be seeing Ted grow and become a better person because of her. By holding out the meet-cute until the very last episode, they deprive Ted of that opportunity for growth. We see Ted change in his approach to life, but never necessarily get less dooshy.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #100
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Yes, I agree with that. The best thing about introducing the Mother and then getting to see some stories with her would be seeing Ted grow and become a better person because of her. By holding out the meet-cute until the very last episode, they deprive Ted of that opportunity for growth. We see Ted change in his approach to life, but never necessarily get less dooshy.
Totally agree. If we got to meet her in the very last episode without knowing anything much about her and why Ted decides she's the one he marries and if he changes for the better because of her, I will be disappointed.

The thing is, there's NO clue in either the episodes or Ted's voiceovers that Ted thinks "past" Ted is anything that we see him as....a pompous, pretentious, dbag. And interestingly, I didn't think he was that way the first season or two, but, but like in many sitcoms, they take one characteristic of someone and THAT becomes them.

So while I think we will meet the mother, and it seems possible we'll get to know her, I don't think Ted will change all that much.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #101
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Oh bullcrap.

I enjoy the show. Come here to read discussion and see all the negativism. That invalidates my enjoyment.

Anyone who is disappointed a show is still on the air should not be watching it and crap on those of us who enjoy it.

It is a TiVo community phenomenon that always claims shows go downhill. Go back and watch the old shows. In most if those cases, the show is the same.

It is often just that people always want something new and get bored with consistency.

HIMYM is the same show it always was.

And as the ratings are holding, I think that the "consensus" here (in quotes because when you disagree, you get slapped down so no one has a clue what the consensus really is) is in th minority. It is cool here to dump on shows previously liked. It happens over and over again. When I point it out (again), I get told I am wrong.

But it happened again with his show.

It is just as clever as it always was but it has to be portrayed as bad. And if you don't go along with the majority, you are wrong.

Well, suck it.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who see it your way. Many of us don't. Sorry, but Sparty is right. Reading the threads, it does appear the majority of us feel as Sparty does. if it makes you annoyed to read that because you don't see it that way, well you're definitely entitled to your opinion, but maybe it's not a great idea to come here if it upsets you.

I think the group has been fairly consistent in praising good episodes as the last two were (although I'm not all that sold on the "closet" episode as many are), and fairly consistent in trashing the bad ones, which there have been many. Perhaps you are right, it's the same as it was before. But that's not good. It gets stale, and boring if you rehash the same tired stuff over and over, and we never seem to get closer to the actually main story.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #102
alpacaboy

I've lost track - in 2037, do we know:
- Are Ted and Mother still together?
- Is Mother still alive?
- If she is, is it a happy marriage?
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #103
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I try not to threadcrap but I may take you up on the challenge. I think the show as it is today is a perfectly fine sitcom but I do not think it has the same dynamic as the early seasons.

I remember being utterly charmed by the first season, thinking it held it's own against some of my favorite big screen romantic comedies. The way I remember it is that at that time Barney was the only character that was really over the top comedy wise. Since then as the producers realized that they were in it for a longer haul they started morphing all the characters into more sitcom friendly caricatures. I can't imagine, for example, Robin in season 1 yelling at Patrice the way she does.

So I maintain that the show has changed over the years and it is not as good as it once was. That is not to say that it isn't still a good sitcom but it lacks the heart and romance it had in the early seasons.

The episode in question here was good but the whole "plan" was so over the top and contrived that it kind of detracted from the moment for me.

As I said though, I'll go back and watch some of season 1 and see if I am mistaken.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #104
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I try not to threadcrap but I may take you up on the challenge. I think the show as it is today is a perfectly fine sitcom but I do not think it has the same dynamic as the early seasons.

I remember being utterly charmed by the first season, thinking it held it's own against some of my favorite big screen romantic comedies. The way I remember it is that at that time Barney was the only character that was really over the top comedy wise. Since then as the producers realized that they were in it for a longer haul they started morphing all the characters into more sitcom friendly caricatures. I can't imagine, for example, Robin in season 1 yelling at Patrice the way she does.

So I maintain that the show has changed over the years and it is not as good as it once was. That is not to say that it isn't still a good sitcom but it lacks the heart and romance it had in the early seasons.

The episode in question here was good but the whole "plan" was so over the top and contrived that it kind of detracted from the moment for me.

As I said though, I'll go back and watch some of season 1 and see if I am mistaken.
I've watched a few early season episodes on reruns and you are right. Of course, knowing what I know now, it's a different experience. But yeah, they've definitely resorted to the old sitcom standby of taking a character and finding one or two things about them and HARPING on it. With Ted, it's his pretentiousness (watch the early episodes, he's nothing like that). A lot of the sitcoms I watch do the same thing. Sheldon is more whiny self absorbed now than he was in the earlier seasons of TBBT. Phil is more of a henpecked husband than he was in the first season of Modern Family. They writers find a character flaw and write to it.

Sometimes they even change characters completely. I always think of the character Potsie on Happy Days. The first 2 seasons he was the streetwise sidekick to the more shy Richie. Later on, he became a dumb dufus. The character was completely rewritten. I think that even annoys me more.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #105
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Sheldon is more whiny self absorbed now than he was in the earlier seasons of TBBT. Phil
See, it is all a matter of perspective. I don't see as much of a change in Sheldon as you do apparently. I certainly don't think he has changed as much as the HIMYM characters, but HIMYM has been on longer.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #106
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
I always think of the character Potsie on Happy Days.
Really? Always?

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #107
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
Really? Always?
Yeah, in my dreams I see Potsie

Obviously I meant as he's the example I always give of a complete character rewrite.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #108
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I am quite hard on this show now.

I have defended other shows that everyone else said were going downhill. So I think I'm allowed my opinion.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #109
mdougie

Quote:
I am quite hard on this show now.

I have defended other shows that everyone else said were going downhill. So I think I'm allowed my opinion.
Of course your allowed.

Was it an event that turned you from liking the show as much? What about your perspective has changed? If you were already saying you don't want to say then that's cool too.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #110
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdougie View Post
Of course your allowed.

Was it an event that turned you from liking the show as much? What about your perspective has changed? If you were already saying you don't want to say then that's cool too.
That's the odd part. I'm not sure. Last season I was not unimpressed, I just wasn't as happy with the show. But this season has pushed me over that edge, I guess.

Part of it is that it feels like they're stretching out what they wanted to be a five season show into many more seasons.

And the character reappearances don't help, either.

I keep watching because, deep down, I still care a lot about most of these characters-particularly Barney. And to a lesser extent Lily and Marshall. And I kind of hate seeing those characters I love being dragged through silly stuff that isn't good enough to be realistic.

(As an aside-I watch enough reruns that my two year old has taken notice. She calls the show "Barney" and thinks he's hilarious. )
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #111
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I think this season has been better than last season so far. Maybe it's just me...
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #112
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
That's the odd part. I'm not sure. Last season I was not unimpressed, I just wasn't as happy with the show. But this season has pushed me over that edge, I guess.

Part of it is that it feels like they're stretching out what they wanted to be a five season show into many more seasons.
This is where TonyD79 is correct that the show has not changed. It still employs the same creative timeline structure, flashbacks, and other narrative tricks to tell its stories. The problem is that where in the first several seasons these were part of the fabric of the show and something that helped give it an identity, now they mostly come across as dodges and stalls to avoid getting to "the mother of it all". And many of us resent that, because we see no reason to wait anymore.

And we also resent it because, subjectively of course, the show is not as good anymore as it was. (This has nothing to do with ratings, contrary to TonyD79's suggestion; hit comedies especially tend to grow over time even as their quality decreases. Friends and Seinfeld, for example, were still drawing huge ratings at the end of their runs, but virtually nobody would say those shows went out on top. Same thing is developing with HIMYM.) The main problem is that the show has fallen victim to the problem a lot of comedies hit, where characterization gives way to characteristics. The characters become defined by one or two qualities, and actually become shallower. Maui points this out above, aptly citing Robin's off-putting and unjustified hatred of Patrice. And once you go there, it's easy to sacrifice your characters in the service of telling jokes or moving the plot along. That's death.

None of which is to say that the show is without its pleasures, or incapable of doing good work. I think we all agree that this last episode ("The Last Page") was very good. But how many of us really care about Barney and Robin anymore, after we (and they) have been ground through the plot machinery already, and (judging by what we have already seen of their wedding day) are destined to endure more? There's enough good here that I keep watching, but the show is gradually burning its bridges with me. I suspect that's what a lot of us feel.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #113
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Didn't Ted date a character played by Rachel Bilson for a couple episodes?

Edit: IMDb says yes.
Huh. Was she the one with crazy eyes?

Wow....I guess the show HAS been on a crazy-long time. I feel like I'm dredging forth a half-remembered dream....

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #114
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
Huh. Was she the one with crazy eyes?

Wow....I guess the show HAS been on a crazy-long time. I feel like I'm dredging forth a half-remembered dream....
She wasn't the one with the crazy eyes. She was really nice, but had little in common with Ted. Everything Ted liked about her (besides the fact she's hot) belonged to her roommate. The unseen roommate will be the mom. Rachel's character broke up with him for them being incompatible.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #115
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Regarding Rachel B. :

Spoiler:
She'll be back before the end of this season.

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #116
busyba
The Funcooker

Crazy Eyes was played by Morena Baccarin, of Firefly and V and Homeland fame.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #117
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
This is where TonyD79 is correct that the show has not changed. It still employs the same creative timeline structure, flashbacks, and other narrative tricks to tell its stories. The problem is that where in the first several seasons these were part of the fabric of the show and something that helped give it an identity, now they mostly come across as dodges and stalls to avoid getting to "the mother of it all". And many of us resent that, because we see no reason to wait anymore.

And we also resent it because, subjectively of course, the show is not as good anymore as it was. (This has nothing to do with ratings, contrary to TonyD79's suggestion; hit comedies especially tend to grow over time even as their quality decreases. Friends and Seinfeld, for example, were still drawing huge ratings at the end of their runs, but virtually nobody would say those shows went out on top. Same thing is developing with HIMYM.) The main problem is that the show has fallen victim to the problem a lot of comedies hit, where characterization gives way to characteristics. The characters become defined by one or two qualities, and actually become shallower. Maui points this out above, aptly citing Robin's off-putting and unjustified hatred of Patrice. And once you go there, it's easy to sacrifice your characters in the service of telling jokes or moving the plot along. That's death.

None of which is to say that the show is without its pleasures, or incapable of doing good work. I think we all agree that this last episode ("The Last Page") was very good. But how many of us really care about Barney and Robin anymore, after we (and they) have been ground through the plot machinery already, and (judging by what we have already seen of their wedding day) are destined to endure more? There's enough good here that I keep watching, but the show is gradually burning its bridges with me. I suspect that's what a lot of us feel.
That's another annoying thing that this show is guilty of. Having dating characters constantly breaking up and getting back together. I think Ted has gone out with a at least 2-3 people again after breaking up with them, and obviously, Ted-Robin and Barney-Robin have gone back and forth over the years.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #118
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
She wasn't the one with the crazy eyes. She was really nice, but had little in common with Ted. Everything Ted liked about her (besides the fact she's hot) belonged to her roommate. The unseen roommate will be the mom. Rachel's character broke up with him for them being incompatible.
Eventually the biggest obstacle was something they both had in common: they both like girls.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #119
mdougie

Quote:
That's another annoying thing that this show is guilty of. Having dating characters constantly breaking up and getting back together. I think Ted has gone out with a at least 2-3 people again after breaking up with them, and obviously, Ted-Robin and Barney-Robin have gone back and forth over the years.
Barney+Robin has been telegraphed from the very beginning. They are perfect for each other, but both damaged in such a way as to fight love and commitment with not just each other, but everyone. Both love expensive scotch and cigars.

Robin is just female Canadian Barney.

Of course they will take awhile to get together then break up then get back together. It's their personality....disorder.

In fact that's what the whole show has been about. Finding your sole mate. Lilly Marshall found it young and never loose it. Barney and Robin prove even crazy partying people with commitment phobia change when thye meet the one. In the End Ted is a sappy wuss who likes to tell stories. He is telling this these stories. Will Ted ever stop being long winded sappy puss? I don't know, but even he finds true love, and if he does ever shut up the show is over.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #120
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdougie View Post
Barney+Robin has been telegraphed from the very beginning. They are perfect for each other, but both damaged in such a way as to fight love and commitment with not just each other, but everyone. Both love expensive scotch and cigars.

Robin is just female Canadian Barney.

Of course they will take awhile to get together then break up then get back together. It's their personality....disorder.

In fact that's what the whole show has been about. Finding your sole mate. Lilly Marshall found it young and never loose it. Barney and Robin prove even crazy partying people with commitment phobia change when thye meet the one. In the End Ted is a sappy wuss who likes to tell stories. He is telling this these stories. Will Ted ever stop being long winded sappy puss? I don't know, but even he finds true love, and if he does ever shut up the show is over.
I totally get all of that. But can we stop putting the same people back together and breaking them up again and again? At least the Barney-Robin thing will finally stick, but if Ted gets back together with ANOTHER former GF....