TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
farmermac
Super user

Was so excited about getting my XL4

Got it yesterday early afternoon. Ive been messing with the cable co (mediacom) trying to get the XL4 to pair with their cable cards. Ive got a stack of them and none will work to authorize channels despite multiple signals being sent by the cable company.

The XL4's tuners must be picky about the signal strength. It wont work in my basement at all with the QAM channels that come through the cable unencrypted, but works in one of my outlets upstairs. My S3 HD XL has been hooked up in the basement with no issues for over 2 years.

Cable guy coming tomorrow morning (didnt know they worked on sunday) and if he cant get it to work, its getting packed up and going back. Hopefully it all ends well, i'd love to have those 4 tuners but i dont have much patience for wasting time on something that should work out of the box.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Ky_Shag
Shaggy Dog

do u have latest software if not force a few connects

till u get pending restart

Last edited by Ky_Shag : 07-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Ky_Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

The issue isn't the XL4, but the ineptitude of your cable company.
CableCARDs aren't that hard, plenty of cable companies can do them in minutes, other companies seem to be unable to grasp the concept at all.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
farmermac
Super user

this particular cable co has had no issues whatsoever pairing multiple cards in the past... I've paired 4-5 tivo HDs and 2 dual tuner premieres and there never has been a problem. Always 1-2 minutes to activate and all proper channels authorized, included premiums. Im at 4 cards with the XL4.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
HomeUser

If the cards have been used in another account or device they need to be removed or UN-paired first.

You can see the signal strength under "Settings" -> "Channels"

Have the Cable Guy look at all your splitters the older ones do not have enough band with.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
The XL4's tuners must be picky about the signal strength. It wont work in my basement at all with the QAM channels that come through the cable unencrypted, but works in one of my outlets upstairs. My S3 HD XL has been hooked up in the basement with no issues for over 2 years.
Elite/XL4 tuners are not very robust for sure and it doesn't help it has to split signal 4 ways internally. I had similar problems where I first connected Elite upstairs and 2 out of 4 tuners could not tune anything - even unencrypted QAM channels. Moving unit to a different connection downstairs where I didn't really want it eventually solved the problem but getting functioning unencrypted channel list was a bear and eventually had to repeat guided setup without CC to get bare bones channel list going and then getting CC paired and working and repeating guided setup yet again. It was a lot worse experience than my Premiere units which were a piece of cake to get going. Probably many with similar issues would probably just have given up on the whole process and returned the unit it was so painful. Luckily I did avoid a truck roll from the mostly incompetent techs at the cable company though.
I would bet the return rate on Elite/XL4 units is much higher than their 2 tuner units.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Elite/XL4 tuners are not very robust for sure and it doesn't help it has to split signal 4 ways internally. I had similar problems where I first connected Elite upstairs and 2 out of 4 tuners could not tune anything - even unencrypted QAM channels. Moving unit to a different connection downstairs where I didn't really want it eventually solved the problem but getting functioning unencrypted channel list was a bear and eventually had to repeat guided setup without CC to get bare bones channel list going and then getting CC paired and working and repeating guided setup yet again. It was a lot worse experience than my Premiere units which were a piece of cake to get going. Probably many with similar issues would probably just have given up on the whole process and returned the unit it was so painful. Luckily I did avoid a truck roll from the mostly incompetent techs at the cable company though.
I would bet the return rate on Elite/XL4 units is much higher than their 2 tuner units.
I would think an experienced user would likely take a deep breath and if a machine were functional at one location but not another do pretty much what you mention.

I was actually midway through a post suggesting taking the machine directly to the cable drop or at least to a leg of the first splitter, confirming the connections, the splitter specifications and attempt a basic install less cable-card at that location.

I would think checking the cable-modem properties you could actually confirm the quality of the signal of the actual drop.

The OP mentions a "stack" of cable cards! The source? If the cards are from mediacom and were "returns" and not "cleared" for "new" provisioning yes there could be issues I understand.

I'd say there's a good bit that could be done before the"truck-roll" on a Sunday!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
farmermac
Super user

A lot could be done but I have a family with small kids. I'm not going to waste all day trying things that the tech can do in 10 mins with a signal reader and better tools and more knowledge. I've already wasted enough time on this. The 4 cards I have have been used successfully in various devices. 2 of them have been paired with 3-4 tivos on and off successfully. When i gave up this morning I put back one of the cc in one of my s3s and had it paired and it worked 5 minutes after it wouldn't work in the xl4. I'd love to have the 4 tuners working but what a nightmare it has been so far
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

My Elite/XL4 was the smoothest CableCARD install ever, literally 5 minutes. I swapped a CC and TA from another device.

As for the Elite/XL4 signal levels, the Elite is reporting slightly higher Signal Strength in the same location/drop a Premiere used to sit.

TiVo Signal Strength Meter should be: >80, 85-90 would be better
SNR needs to be >30, 35-40dB would be better.

Your actual signals should all fall between -5dBmV to 5dBmV, >0dBmV is best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-14-2012 at 05:35 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
farmermac
Super user

Cable company tech tried multiple cards this morning, could not get the box to authorize any encrypted channels. Pretty dissapointed. He seemed competent too, tried 3 different cards while on phone with advanced tech support to pair the cards. Sadly i dont think i'll be enjoying the XL4 ive been wanting
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
HomeUser

Please contact the TiVo CableCARD hotline: Special help with your CableCARD issues
Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
If the cards have been used in another account or device they need to be removed or UN-paired first.

You can see the signal strength under "Settings" -> "Channels"

Have the Cable Guy look at all your splitters the older ones do not have enough band with.
This -- and if you've tried multiple cards in a device, or made multiple attempts with the same card in the same device, I'd give the same advice: UN-pair everything first and start over.