TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
nyjack

Just a thought. Originally Comcast cable cards installed in a TiVo was only one way. Now, somehow, the TiVo premiere is able to send a request to select an Xfinity VOD program. Is this request sent via the coax or might it be going through the Ethernet/Internet connection? Could this thing with the GSM errors be the result of a bad or corrupt message being sent to Xfinity VOD via the Internet? Is it possible that the problem is not on the cable tv side but on the Internet side? Does anyone know if Comcast made some Internet modification recently?

I just did a quick test. I disconnected my Ethernet cable from the back of my Premiere 4. Then, when I tried to get any video on demand I get a "network is currently unavailable" message. Now, not every Comcast cable tv subscriber also has Internet service, yet they get VOD. My stand-alone HD cable box has no Internet connection, yet it gets VOD just fine?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by nyjack : 03-18-2013 at 11:58 AM.
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
derektem

Jack,
I'm not exactly sure, but my understanding is that the XVOD function on the TiVo requires the internet connectivity. I say this because when I first got my Premiere 4 I didn't have any internet connectivity to it setup right away. But once I got the internet connectivity hooked up, sure enough I was able to see the Xfinity On Demand function but I was getting the GSM-11 error.

I understand what you're saying about the regular Comcast provided cable box that you can get Xfinity On Demand feature working without an internet connection. I don't know how exactly that works but if I had to guess it would have to be sending signals via the coax from this box. However, for the TiVo Premiere 4, it's not the coax cable connection for sure.

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention in my other reply is that, in my case, I was also experiencing tuner problems. Some channels tuned some didn't. This was the original Premiere 4 that I bought from Best Buy. Eventually, I took it to Best Buy and exchanged for another Premiere 4. All channels that I subscribed to are tuned and also I had XVOD working. It was hard to believe these new machines can be faulty right out of the box brand new. Bottom line is, what I'm trying to say here is, if it is not too inconvenient for you to consider, exchange your Premiere 4 with another brand new one and see if that resolves the problem.
derektem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
WVZR1

It is NOT a "hardware" problem in "the box"!!! I mentioned earlier and in a couple "threads" PATIENCE !!!

One of my boxes came back by itself and the other required a "restart" and then became active immediatly following he "restart"!

NYJACK - When I mentioned "patience" yesterday I meant the phone calls, the hits, the pairings, the depairings the cable card swaps and in your other thread you mentioned getting into your router would be of no help! When you see the GSM errors just sit back "relax" and Comcast will fix you up. The "head-end" people required to correct the situation if it wasn't a maintenance upgrade/update work real hours, Monday through Friday! All that aggravation you gave those people and you actually had VOD on an HD box you still have in service?
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote