TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
nyjack

Tivo Premiere 4 Hard Drive Size?

I just ordered a new TiVo Premiere 4 from TiVo. From what I understand the Premiere 4 comes with a 500 gb drive but can only record 75 hours of HD programming. My current TiVo HD has a 500 gb drive (I installed this drive myself to increase recording time from 20 hours to 180) but has room to record @ 180 hours of HD programming. Anyone know why the difference? I ask this question because I just ordered a new Premiere 4 and planned to move the drive from my TiVo HD to the premiere?

Also, will I be able to simply swap the TiVo Premiere 4's drive with the one from my TiVo Hd?
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjack View Post
I just ordered a new TiVo Premiere 4 from TiVo. From what I understand the Premiere 4 comes with a 500 gb drive but can only record 75 hours of HD programming. My current TiVo HD has a 500 gb drive (I installed this drive myself to increase recording time from 20 hours to 180) but has room to record @ 180 hours of HD programming. Anyone know why the difference?
I can only guess ... the method you used to make the upgraded drive for the Tivo HD allowed for taking advantage of space that is normally reserved for the Tivo (supersize).

Quote:
Also, will I be able to simply swap the TiVo Premiere 4's drive with the one from my TiVo Hd?
Negative. Software for the Tivo HD is incompatible with the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

I can only guess ... the method you used to make the upgraded drive for the Tivo HD allowed for taking advantage of space that is normally reserved for the Tivo (supersize).

Negative. Software for the Tivo HD is incompatible with the Premiere.
You're right about my first answer (supersize). Do you know if there is available software that I can use to set up a drive for the Premiere 4 that will do the same thing? If not, can you tell me what software you might recommend set up a new drive (may 1 TB) for the Premiere 4?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
You're right about my first answer (supersize). Do you know if there is available software that I can use to set up a drive for the Premiere 4 that will do the same thing? If not, can you tell me what software you might recommend set up a new drive (may 1 TB) for the Premiere 4?

Thanks,
Jack
Software for upgrading Premieres:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Use the hard drive that is in the Premiere as the source drive.

You would be better off using a 2 TB target drive as that would be more cost effective (twice the storage of a 1 TB for a little more money).

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Software for upgrading Premieres:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Use the hard drive that is in the Premiere as the source drive.

You would be better off using a 2 TB target drive as that would be more cost effective (twice the storage of a 1 TB for a little more money).
The reward for a quick, helpful answer is two more questions:-)

Will swapping the hard drive void the warranty (can they tell its been swapped other original is put back in)?

Do you have any brand and/or model recommendations for which drive I should buy?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
JamieP

I don't see how you could be getting 180 hours of HD on a 500 GB drive. That's < 3 GB per hour of video, which is much lower than standard HD broadcast bitrates.

Seems that either your harddrive is larger than you remember, or there is a typo somewhere. Maybe you are thinking of SD hours?
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
I don't see how you could be getting 180 hours of HD on a 500 GB drive. That's < 3 GB per hour of video, which is much lower than standard HD broadcast bitrates.

Seems that either your harddrive is larger than you remember, or there is a typo somewhere. Maybe you are thinking of SD hours?
Honestly, I can't be sure. I just looked at the system information and this is all the information that I can find (without opening the case, which I don't plan to do until I have my new TiVo Premiere 4 up and running:

Recording Capacity: Variable, up to 157 HD hours, or 1367 SD hours

So, I obviously got the HD hours wrong. But from what I've read here, these numbers seem to indicate that I have a 1 tb drive. I really can't remember what I put in there several years ago. Is there any other way to tell what size drive I have in there without opening the case? I expect that what everyone here has been telling me is correct but I am now so curious to find out since I really don't remember what I installed.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Recording Capacity: Variable, up to 157 HD hours, or 1367 SD hours

So, I obviously got the HD hours wrong. But from what I've read here, these numbers seem to indicate that I have a 1 tb drive. I really can't remember what I put in there several years ago. Is there any other way to tell what size drive I have in there without opening the case? I expect that what everyone here has been telling me is correct but I am now so curious to find out since I really don't remember what I installed.
Yep. That is the reported capacity for a 1TB, supersized drive.

Obviously, it's up to you but I wouldn't recommend using an old drive in your new TiVo. Hard drives do not last forever. Right now (sale ends tomorrow) you can get a WD 2TB EARX from Newegg for $89.99.

BTW, for future reference, it is considered bad form to cross-post in multiple threads. It is even worse to actually start multiple threads with the same post.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP View Post

A 1Tb drive reports 157 hours of HD record time, and a 2Tb Hard drive reports 317 hours of record time, so the most a .5 Tb would reports is about 76 hours, and that what my unmodified TP-4 does report.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Will swapping the hard drive void the warranty (can they tell its been swapped other original is put back in)?
Theoretically, the answer to both parts of that question is "Yes".

Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post

Obviously, it's up to you but I wouldn't recommend using an old drive in your new TiVo. Hard drives do not last forever. Right now (sale ends tomorrow) you can get a WD 2TB EARX from Newegg for $89.99.

BTW, for future reference, it is considered bad form to cross-post in multiple threads. It is even worse to actually start multiple threads with the same post.
Thanks for the posting info. I apologize for the extra posts. I'm new here and was not sure where to ask my questions. For future reference, which place would be best for me to ask my questions? I am certain I will need more help before I get all this done.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Technically, yes. If TiVo is so inclined (i.e. if you call them for a support issue), they can look at your Premiere logs which will indicate how many hours of recording time you have and that would be a dead give away.
AFAIK, no one knows how far those logs go back, but swapping the original drive back in and letting it run for a few days is recommended before you call TiVo for a warranty issue.
This is why I would at least wait through the 90 day full warranty period before upgrading. If you have any issues with the Premiere they should show up within that period.

Quote:
Do you have any brand and/or model recommendations for which drive I should buy?
Sorry, I'm not "up" on current hard drives. I can say that Western Digital is by far the preferred brand.
Maybe because that's what TiVo uses?

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post

Well, I finally got Xfinity VOD working and am now ready to do the drive upgrade, but it seems I missed the sale price on this drive you mentioned. Can you, or anyone, tell me if there is much of a difference between drives? This particular drive is now $104.99. Amazon has a WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN for $93.82. I guess what I am asking is what criteria am I looking for in a 2TB drive for this upgrade? If it seems that the one you suggested here is the very best choice then I certainly don't mind spending the extra $15.

Btw, I want to make sure that everyone knows how much I appreciate the help and patience all of you have given me. Though I am not really sure how the VOD problem got fixed, I would have given up very quickly if not for the encouragement I got from these forums.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well, I finally got Xfinity VOD working and am now ready to do the drive upgrade, but it seems I missed the sale price on this drive you mentioned. Can you, or anyone, tell me if there is much of a difference between drives? This particular drive is now $104.99. Amazon has a WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN for $93.82. I guess what I am asking is what criteria am I looking for in a 2TB drive for this upgrade? If it seems that the one you suggested here is the very best choice then I certainly don't mind spending the extra $15.
Unless someone has information to the contrary, I don't see any reason why the Amazon drive wouldn't work. It appears to be Advanced Format but that is pretty much true for all new WD drives. I don't know if the 32MB vs. 64MB cache is an issue or not. The last time I replaced a drive in a TiVo was @2 years ago and it was for a THD. I used a WD10EARS. This was prior to AF. I've never replaced the drive in any Premiere, much less a 4 tuner model.