TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
TripFoeYa

Series 3 HDD Contents to Premiere

I currently have a original Series 3 box w/ Lifetime upgraded to a 1TB HDD and I'm looking to replace it with a refurb Premiere box upgraded to a 2TB drive. While I'm upgrading the Premiere drive can I use jmfs Live to copy the contents of the Series 3 drive to the new drive and then supersize it? Thanks.
TripFoeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, the recordings are encoded to a spefic Tivo, but you can till treansfer them as long as both still have a subscription.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
TripFoeYa

I figured that. So I can transfer the recordings through MRV. Now is it possible to hook the TiVo's up directly to speed that process up?
TripFoeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripFoeYa View Post
I figured that. So I can transfer the recordings through MRV. Now is it possible to hook the TiVo's up directly to speed that process up?
IIRC, you can use an ethernet patch cord to connect the Tivos together.
You would have to put the Premiere into SDUI mode because the HDUI mode depends on having a connection to the internet.
However, doing transfers this way WILL NOT speed things up. The speed will be limited by the S3's maximum transfer rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
IIRC, you can use an ethernet patch cord to connect the Tivos together.
You would have to put the Premiere into SDUI mode because the HDUI mode depends on having a connection to the internet.
However, doing transfers this way WILL NOT speed things up. The speed will be limited by the S3's maximum transfer rate.
If you hook the TiVos together directly (with no router), would you have to assign static IP addresses? Nobody would be doing DHCP, right?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
ggieseke

If time isn't that critical I would use TiVo Desktop and your computer as an intermediary. Direct MRV transfers throw away most of the metadata except the show name and description.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
If time isn't that critical I would use TiVo Desktop and your computer as an intermediary. Direct MRV transfers throw away most of the metadata except the show name and description.
TiVo needs to fix that, of course. It's ridiculous to throw away any metadata ever (or any other kind of data). Some programmer should hang his head in shame.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you hook the TiVos together directly (with no router), would you have to assign static IP addresses? Nobody would be doing DHCP, right?
Yeah, I believe that you have to make sure each Tivo has assigned itself an IP address, but other than that, I think Tivos are able to detect when they are directly connected and automatically configure themselves to negotiate with each other.

I could be remembering wrong though. Be easy to test if I had an ethernet coupler.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Worf

That's what Auto-IP is for (the 169.254.x.x addresses you see). Of course, not sure if TiVo does it, but the series 3 should be "new" enough that Auto-IP is pretty standard on most devices.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripFoeYa View Post
You need both connected to a router so they can get listings off of the internet, right?

Just let the router handle it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote