TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
bobdole888

internet video buffer

Is there anyway to increase the buffer size on internet video viewing like you tube?
My internet is not fast enough, so if I try to watch HD internet video, it's very choppy. If I can put it on pause for a few minutes and let it buffer, then viewing it wouldn't be so choppy. However, it seems that Tivo would only buffer a small amount. So if I pause for 10 sec, vs. 3 minuts, it's still the same amount of video buffered.
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
Is there anyway to increase the buffer size on internet video viewing like you tube?
My internet is not fast enough, so if I try to watch HD internet video, it's very choppy. If I can put it on pause for a few minutes and let it buffer, then viewing it wouldn't be so choppy. However, it seems that Tivo would only buffer a small amount. So if I pause for 10 sec, vs. 3 minuts, it's still the same amount of video buffered.
The size of the buffer for streaming from the Internet is surely a function of the application (for Netflix or YouTube or whatever). I doubt that you can change it. I find it irritating also, especially since I think the old YouTube application would keep buffering for pretty much as long as you paused it. Actually, now that I think about it, it could be a server problem.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 01-29-2013 at 08:51 AM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
I feel your pain, many times HD streams from YouTube are not watchable for me. So I mostly just downloading the HD files via my computer. I have ended up with a nice collection of music videos because of that. But then I have a computer attached to my TV so no issues getting the video onto my TV's screen.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
This is a real problem for those who use Clear. Thankfully I go off contract in June and I'll be switching to cable. With desktop and laptops it's possible to set YouTube to pre buffer, this seeing is even available on my tablet and smartphone. Perhaps a future version of the YouTube client will add this on TiVo's
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
jcthorne

Trouble is, the YouTube app USED to work and buffer properly. The lastest version while prettier, is functionally broken and unusable for a large portion of its intended audiance. Not everyone has or needs a 1terabit internet connection to the home. A simple buffer would have it working fine.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote