Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #121
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Are they planning on showing the Finals on ABC or are they taking the College Bowl route and everything goes on ESPN? If it's the latter, then yes, there's no restrictions...
tennis was negotiated to be shown on espn/espn2/espn3. tennis channel will always negotiate alternate broadcast rights with the primary holder of the contract.

the networks attempted to protect other shows and advertisers within their sports broadcast agreements. nbc would not pre-empt "today" to show live wimbledon coverage, and that was the primary reason they lost the tournament, after more than 40 years. originally the delayed broadcast was not an issue, but as internet streaming and online sports began to grow and cable added channels, nbc didn't adapt, and it cost, dearly. cbs was left behind after 50 years with the us open because they couldn't adapt to the satisfaction of the atp, either.

what i find strange is the fact that both cbs and nbc have re-launched sports networks recently. i guess it was too little, too late, a hail mary pass - espn had already established viewers, ratings, and sports domination.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 09-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #122
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
tennis was negotiated to be shown on espn/espn2/espn3. tennis channel will always negotiate alternate broadcast rights with the primary holder of the contract.

the networks attempted to protect other shows and advertisers within their sports broadcast agreements. nbc would not pre-empt "today" to show live wimbledon coverage, and that was the primary reason they lost the tournament, after more than 40 years. originally the delayed broadcast was not an issue, but as internet streaming and online sports began to grow and cable added channels, nbc didn't adapt, and it cost, dearly. cbs was left behind after 50 years with the us open because they couldn't adapt to the satisfaction of the atp, either.

what i find strange is the fact that both cbs and nbc have launched sprots networks recently. i guess it was too little, too late, a hail mary pass - espn had already established viewers, ratings, and sports domination.
CBS couldn't adapt because the NFL is just too important to them. Their hands were tied. I don't recall what they did those few years they didn't have football. I bet the finals were on earlier in the day. I don't remember

I have NO idea what CBS is doing with their sports network I had no idea it even existed until I was scanning channels one day. That so differs from how Fox and NBC introduced their new sports channels. NBC pushed it during SNF and during NBC hockey broadcasts. Fans of those sports definitely knew it was coming. And FOX has been blitzing the airwaves about their sports channels all summer. I don't recall hearing anything about the CBS channel.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #123
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

For me, the CBS Sports Network is on a separate sports tier. The NBC and Fox ones are on the basic tier. Not really sure why that is. I've never seen it and have no clue what they air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #124
WhiskeyTango

CBS isn't going to change anything as long as they are still killing the competition and raking in the dough. Regarding advertising sales after the upfronts this spring:

Quote:
CBS, the biggest broadcast network, led in the total dollar amount of commitments, at $2.5 billion to $2.6 billion; by some estimates, CBS’s take may have been as much as $2.75 billion. The cpm rates that CBS is charging advertisers for the 2013-14 season are estimated to be increasing by an average of 7.5 percent.

The rest of the estimates for dollar volume are: ABC, part of the Walt Disney Company, $2.1 billion to $2.2 billion; NBC, part of the NBCUniversal division of Comcast, $1.9 billion to $2 billion; Fox Broadcasting, part of 21st Century Fox, around $1.8 billion; and CW, a joint venture of the CBS Corporation and Time Warner, $400 million to $420 million.

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #125
WhiskeyTango

Oh, and the restrictions on what is available On Demand come from the production studios of those shows, not the network.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #126
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
CBS couldn't adapt because the NFL is just too important to them. Their hands were tied.
of course - tennis will never draw the same number of viewers as football in this country. but espn has football, too - and basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. espn seems to work it all out, between two major channels, a couple of alternates, and online. launching a sports network after the damage has been done just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #127
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
of course - tennis will never draw the same number of viewers as football in this country. but espn has football, too - and basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. espn seems to work it all out, between two major channels, a couple of alternates, and online. launching a sports network after the damage has been done just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Not on Sundays
Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #128
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
...FOX has been blitzing the airwaves about their sports channels all summer. I don't recall hearing anything about the CBS channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
For me, the CBS Sports Network is on a separate sports tier. The NBC and Fox ones are on the basic tier...I've never seen it and have no clue what they air.
you haven't missed anything on nbc or cbs sports network. we'll see how fox performs, but if it follows the path of fox business channel, it won't last long.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #129
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
you haven't missed anything on nbc or cbs sports network. we'll see how fox performs, but if it follows the path of fox business channel, it won't last long.
NBCSN has hockey, so I tend to watch it quite often. FSN1 or whatever they are calling it is going to have baseball games, so I'm sure I will watch that too. CBS has nothing I'm even interested in.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #130
TonyD79

Quote:
what i find strange is the fact that both cbs and nbc have launched sprots networks recently.
Neither channel was launched "recently."

CBS bought the old College Sports Television (which was launched as Classic Sports Network in 1999) in 2005. It was reorganized in 2008. They moved the focus away from just college sports and renamed it in 2011, but the channel is far from "new."

Same with NBC. It was acquired by NBC as part of the Comcast merger. It started as Outdoor Life in 1995 and was renamed Versus in 2006. They renamed it NBC Sports network in 2012. But programming has not changed a lot since its Versus days.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #131
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Not on Sundays
not yet...

Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #132
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
not yet...
I don't think there's a plan for ESPN to have the NFL on Sunday nights any time soon.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN juggles there college lineup to accommodate the tennis. My guess is that tennis will wind up on ESPN2 except for the finals.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #133
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Neither channel was launched "recently".
good point, edited post to re-launched.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #134
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I don't think there's a plan for ESPN to have the NFL on Sunday nights any time soon.
there weren't plans for tennis a short time ago.

Quote:
My guess is that tennis will wind up on ESPN2 except for the finals.
that's how they handled both wimbledon and the us open this year. it's seems to be working fine, and the atp is happy at the moment. even with espn2 reaching fewer homes, the atp claims viewership and participation is up, so long term will tell the story.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #135
TonyD79

Quote:
there weren't plans for tennis a short time ago.
NBC has the rights to Sunday Night Football and will for a few more years. Then they will have right of first refusal. With the success they have had, don't expect them to give it up.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #136
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
NBC has the rights to Sunday Night Football and will for a few more years. Then they will have right of first refusal. With the success they have had, don't expect them to give it up.
i don't either, but i never expected nbc and cbs to let the grand slam tournaments go. i know tennis is no comparison to football, and i'm not for or against espn, but it's been interesting watching their maneuvering and growth over the last 20 years.

directv's rights to nfl sunday ticket expire at the end of the 2014 season, and they're already negotiating. this one will be interesting to watch, too.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #137
TonyD79

Quote:

i don't either, but i never expected nbc and cbs to let the grand slam tournaments go. i know tennis is no comparison to football, and i'm not for or against espn, but it's been interesting watching their maneuvering and growth over the last 20 years.

directv's rights to nfl sunday ticket expire at the end of the 2014 season, and they're already negotiating. this one will be interesting to watch, too.
Except ESPN/ABC had the option for Sunday. They chose Monday. ESPN had Sunday. ABC had Monday. Been there done that.