TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
JPRosiak
Mr. Wizard

Why Did DTV NERF the THR22?

I just switched back to DTV because a friend of mine gave their whole home DVR glowing reviews. Once I got everything installed I found that the HR24 isn't much better than the DISH DVR I just got rid of.
  1. the season pass manager only records on the channel you set it up on. This is problematic because in the event of a conflict, the next airing may not be on that channel for a week or more.
  2. If you pad the recordings to start a minute early by default, the software isn't smart enought to only pad the first show on back to back recordings. This forces additional tuners to be used and causes conflicts
  3. keyword auto record (Tivo calls it a wish list) but I have had no luck with it recording only new episodes. It either fails to record or records repeats as well. I called directv support and their answer is to "Not use the keyword autorecord and just set the series manager to record the latest episode I can find.". So the answer is to not use a feature they have on their product and to always record the latest show??? Fix your software!
  4. Entering in the keyword and narrowing the search parameters is quite clunky. Supposedly you can use Boolean operators to do this, but once again I have had no success.

So I started looking into the THR22 (DTV Tivo unit) because the Tivo Software is just the best out there. Here are the limitations:
"Please note: The following DIRECTV features are not available with the TiVo HD DVR: Whole-Home DVR service, DIRECTV iPad App remote control and live TV streaming functionality, DIRECTV CINEMA (satellite downloads), YouTube on TV, 3D, and GameSearch™." Most of these I really don't care for, but why remove the Whole Home DVR and 3D????

So here I am, trying to find ways to get back into a Tivo unit without having to break my contract and still have a whole home DVR. Any suggestion?

Has anyone done anything creative like a THR22 and sling box? Do the stand alone Tivo units support external settop boxes anymore?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
ncted

I think the simple answer is D* NERFed the THR22 to keep it from being more attractive than the HR**. They don't want it to be too successful and make the past 5 years seem like a bad decision.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
TiVo Season Passes are also channel-specific.
Boolean searches work fine for me.
I haven't used padding or auto-record keywords so can't comment on that.

In the case of the THR22, it isn't "removing", but "not adding". DirecTV's MRV is not the same as TiVo's, and TiVo doesn't do 3D the way DirecTV does. (Does the TiVo Premiere support 3D?) The THR22 is exactly what was promised - the TiVo HR10 UI on updated hardware. It's fine for many people. I have both an THR22 and an HR21 - the THR22 is nicer in some ways, the HR21 nicer in others.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRosiak View Post
[list=1][*]the season pass manager only records on the channel you set it up on. This is problematic because in the event of a conflict, the next airing may not be on that channel for a week or more.
This is true for all Tivos, and always has been. Use auto recording wishlists as a workaround.. (and IIRC, the Premieres actually have an easier way to create wishlists from a SP??)

Quote:
[list=1][*]keyword auto record (Tivo calls it a wish list) but I have had no luck with it recording only new episodes. It either fails to record or records repeats as well. I called directv support and their answer is to "Not use the keyword autorecord and just set the series manager to record the latest episode I can find.". So the answer is to not use a feature they have on their product and to always record the latest show??? Fix your software!
They record new episodes only AS WELL AS SEASON PASSES DO.. If you give them enough information.. (i.e. I suspect your criteria are actually hitting more shows than you think).

Quote:
  1. Entering in the keyword and narrowing the search parameters is quite clunky. Supposedly you can use Boolean operators to do this, but once again I have had no success.
I've used multiple criteria for ARWLs for a long time.

BTW, I am not saying Tivos are perfect, I gripe about various things (similar to your padding issue is one of my biggest hopes for improvement since it would effectively DOUBLE my tuners).. But it is "far less bad" than any of the alternatives.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Series3Sub

Yes, if the THR22 had the latest Premier interface updates, it sure would be extremely attractive to many DTV subs, not just TiVo lovers. So, yes, as stated by ncted, DTV made certain the THR22 is OLD Series 3 tech with just seemingly BASIC functions compared to either DTV's products or the Premiere. IMHO, all one really gets with the THR22 is the OLD familiar TiVo interface that does have many enraptured, and that is ENOUGH for them, just as long as they can see the TiVo critter and aesthetic interface. It really has no appeal beyond that and that would be to TiVo lovers and NOT most DTV subs. Most unfortunate, but that's business.

Now I really come to tears when I think of how if TiVo had made the Over The Top portion (only on retail models) more like a Roku or Boxee Box, etc. I weep thinking of what a really killer box TiVo would have been had they done OTT right.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
BrettStah

Quote:
the season pass manager only records on the channel you set it up on. This is problematic because in the event of a conflict, the next airing may not be on that channel for a week or more.
Someone else already corrected you on this one.
Quote:
If you pad the recordings to start a minute early by default, the software isn't smart enought to only pad the first show on back to back recordings. This forces additional tuners to be used and causes conflicts
Not true. If you have back-to-back recordings on the same channel, only one tuner is used even if you have padding. Plus, the HR2x DVRs will automatically do a soft pad, often catching the ending of a show that runs a little beyond the allocated time period.
Quote:
keyword auto record (Tivo calls it a wish list) but I have had no luck with it recording only new episodes. It either fails to record or records repeats as well. I called directv support and their answer is to "Not use the keyword autorecord and just set the series manager to record the latest episode I can find.". So the answer is to not use a feature they have on their product and to always record the latest show??? Fix your software!
What shows? Some shows have good/accurate guide data, some don't.
Quote:
Entering in the keyword and narrowing the search parameters is quite clunky. Supposedly you can use Boolean operators to do this, but once again I have had no success.
Try this guide: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...15#post1677715

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
In the case of the THR22, it isn't "removing", but "not adding".
It's "removing" if you compare it to either the current standalone TiVos or the current non-TiVo DirecTV DVR.

Quote:
DirecTV's MRV is not the same as TiVo's
Right, and how is that an argument against providing it at all (either version)?

Quote:
Does the TiVo Premiere support 3D?
Yes. I think even the Series 3 does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
JPRosiak
Mr. Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
Someone else already corrected you on this one.
Not true. If you have back-to-back recordings on the same channel, only one tuner is used even if you have padding. Plus, the HR2x DVRs will automatically do a soft pad, often catching the ending of a show that runs a little beyond the allocated time period.
What shows? Some shows have good/accurate guide data, some don't.Try this guide: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...15#post1677715
Sorry I haven't responded sooner, i think my spam folders catching the replies.

Allow me to address the padding issue i was referring to. I had padding turned on for all recordings to start a minute early and two minutes late. I had 3 shows on back to back on fox and 2 shows back to back on NBC. With the padding I had series conflicts stating the second show on NBC wouldn't be recorded because of a higher priority show on that was running on fox at the same time. As soon as I removed the padding the conflicts went away.

I was trying to setup keyword auto record for Game of thrones so it would catch the next available recording on any HBO channel. The only way I could get this to work is using GAME OF THRONES CCHANS 501 509 genre fantasy. I then set auto record to new only. If I left out genre (maybe it was type) my keyword search wouldn't return anything. I shouldn't have to supply other criteria if I am supplying a full title.

I have fond memories of my TiVo unit from Directv, I remember everything just working with no head aches. I don't trust my HR24 to catch my recordings, and always find myself double checking that the ToDo list is correct.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
In the case of the THR22, it isn't "removing", but "not adding".
Depends on what your definition of "isn't" isn't, I guess.

My programming days were very long ago but if I skipped something in porting, that feature was "missing" and I don't think I could have claimed, "Well I just chose not to add it."

Now if the client setting the specs specifically directed me to remove a feature, fine.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
BobCamp1

Quote:
[*]If you pad the recordings to start a minute early by default, the software isn't smart enought to only pad the first show on back to back recordings. This forces additional tuners to be used and causes conflicts
The D* DVRs automatically soft auto-pads the beginning of a show by a minute. When you press PLAY to start the show, immediately press REWIND and you'll see. In essence, it starts playing a minute into the recording by default.

They are also smart enough to use the same tuner to pad both shows if they are on the same channel.

Basically, you don't need to pad the beginning of a show. Maybe the software behaves differently if you do that. I never had that problem.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
MeStinkBAD

Completely unrelated always wanted to know this. Why have people on these forums always referred to DirecTV as "D*"?

The TiVo is supposed to pad each show individually. I would think this is obvious. The TiVo does not know what order you plan to watch the shows in, or if you skipped the show that preceded it. You either want a show to be padded, or you don't. You aren't going to want some of them padded, while others aren't.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the "D*" started with EchoStar (DISH) being abbreviated E* and some started using D* for DirecTV (which is longer to type). I agree it can be confusing.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Worf

What about "DaveTV" as an alternative to DirecTV? I've heard it referenced that way as well (usually as just "Dave")
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
That saves only one letter. Hardly seems worth it.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
classicsat
Astute User

It is said to mean Digital Audio Video Entertainmentn. I have also seen Dishnetwork referred to as "Chuck" (after Charlie Ergen), and Bell ExpressVu as Boris (not sure where that came from), all as euphemisms on message boards relating to piracy of those services.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote