Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Some console somewhere is showing that raw data feed we see at every interval. (I like the "airspace camera.")

It's not like THE MACHINE doesn't have 'net connection when it gets data from every computer, camera and microphone on and off of the planet.
madscientist is correct though.
We've had dialog that indicates that Harold and Nathan delivered a closed off machine to the Government and that they designed it that way..
That all the Feds needed to do was plug it in and it "just works".
(I believe there was even a line about how it was "self-correcting".)

Of course, they've also hinted that Nathan may have installed a back door.
The one that machine uses now to give numbers to Finch.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
AeneaGames

Quote:
What happens when the person in an illegal or foreigner with no SSN?
I thought that too, plus other countries have different types of SSN, the receiver has to have access to every database of every country.

What is weirder is how they even find them? What if one of the most-wanted people in the world are a suspect in some future terrorist act and then they just get that person's SSN without giving info on that person's whereabouts? Seems weird!

I always assumed that the machine gave more information about terrorists than just a number and the backdoor that Harold made just gives an SSN. For those it makes sorta sense, they are civilians that are either in trouble or gonna cause trouble, not terrorists trying to fly under the radar...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #33
philw1776

Wasn't there a movie at the Academy Awards about the years spent finding Bin Laden?
If only we'd had his social security number!
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #34
cheesesteak
Meh.

Maybe somebody'll think to disarm Shaw in the next episode she appears in.

It looks like the show will try to expand from its New York roots. Shaw travels the world and Carter probably will join the FBI.

Didn't Shaw shoot John in this episode? I'll assume that he wears a tailor made bullet proof vest 24/7.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #35
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
and Carter probably will join the FBI.
I thought the FBI took back their offer after finding out about her relationship with the other cop, who apparently is not squeaky clean.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #36
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I thought the FBI took back their offer after finding out about her relationship with the other cop, who apparently is not squeaky clean.
Sorry, I must have ffwd'd through that part and now it came back to bite me in the butt.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #37
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Maybe somebody'll think to disarm Shaw in the next episode she appears in.
Or just shoot "root" the next time she shows her face.

BTW, the organization said "his contact at the CIA is 'Valerie.'" but they didn't intercept her meeting in the hotel? - whioch woudl have exposed "root" working in the office.

Quote:
It looks like the show will try to expand from its New York roots. Shaw travels the world and Carter probably will join the FBI.
My thoughts. Spinoff, unless Shaw joins the team.

Quote:
Didn't Shaw shoot John in this episode? I'll assume that he wears a tailor made bullet proof vest 24/7.
I think we've seen that he has a vest. It's not the first time John's been shot. By a longshot.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #38
verdugan

Quote:
I think we've seen that he has a vest. It's not the first time John's been shot. By a longshot.
But he's been injured before when he got shot. Maybe he learned from that and now never leaves home without his almost invisible vest.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #39
DouglasPHill

I don't think they were adding her to the cast, I think they are creating a new show for her.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
pendragn

Quote:
She has the same unemotional speech as Reese.
I think the cold, unemotional, dead inside speech pattern is a very defining
characteristic of Reese's. I've seen Jim Caviezel in a couple of other things, but he wasn't really ingrained with me before Person of Interest.

The actor that plays Finch, Michael Emerson, is from Iowa and comes back here a lot. A couple of weeks ago one of the local TV stations went to NYC for a taping and to interview him. It was while they were filming a couple of episodes ago in the hotel. They were showing filming a behind the scenes thing. They were filming a scene with Reese and Finch and Reese was all emotionless and deadpan. Then they yelled "Cut!" and Caviezel got a huge smile on his face and burst out laughing. Now, I know that the actor playing Reese can laugh and smile, but he's so convincing as Reese that it was almost jarring to see him with Finch and then laugh and smile. The emotionless part is such a big part of the character.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #41
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
characteristic of Reese's. I've seen Jim Caviezel in a couple of other things, but he wasn't really ingrained with me before Person of Interest.
... They were showing filming a behind the scenes thing. They were filming a scene with Reese and Finch and Reese was all emotionless and deadpan. Then they yelled "Cut!" and Caviezel got a huge smile on his face and burst out laughing. Now, I know that the actor playing Reese can laugh and smile, but he's so convincing as Reese that it was almost jarring to see him with Finch and then laugh and smile. The emotionless part is such a big part of the character.
I mentioned before that at one point in a recent episode Reese dropped the monotone and sounded more like a regulah guy from Brooklyn. His voice tone even changed.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #42
pendragn

Quote:
I mentioned before that at one point in a recent episode Reese dropped the monotone and sounded more like a regulah guy from Brooklyn. His voice tone even changed.
He does an amazing job with the role. It's defintely not a case of James Caviezal playing James Caviezal in a different situation.

tk

Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #43
Craigbob

Quote:

The actor that plays Finch, Michael Emerson, is from Iowa and comes back here a lot. A couple of weeks ago one of the local TV stations went to NYC for a taping and to interview him. It was while they were filming a couple of episodes ago in the hotel. They were showing filming a behind the scenes thing. They were filming a scene with Reese and Finch and Reese was all emotionless and deadpan. Then they yelled "Cut!" and Caviezel got a huge smile on his face and burst out laughing. Now, I know that the actor playing Reese can laugh and smile, but he's so convincing as Reese that it was almost jarring to see him with Finch and then laugh and smile. The emotionless part is such a big part of the character.

tk
I remember seeing Jim Cavaziel in a movie called Frequency back in the '90s. It was pretty cool movie and he was definitely not at all like Reese. He had quite a range of emotions in that one.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #44
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
I remember seeing Jim Cavaziel in a movie called Frequency back in the '90s. It was pretty cool movie and he was definitely not at all like Reese. He had quite a range of emotions in that one.
That's the only other place I'd seen him, Frequency, and I saw that in the theater, I think. I know he was Jesus in Passion of the Christ, but I never saw it.

tk

Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #45
philw1776

Jim Cavaziel was pretty good in 2002 "Count of Monte Cristo" and as a star man helping Vikings defeat his escaped monster cargo in "Outlander". He's terrific as Reese.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #46
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

More dumbness with the "got a number" thing.

If the machine gave all of the data for the person, it would save Harold having to dig up exactly who this person is and the full background, starting from who does the SSN belong to. Imagine how much more useful it would be if the output was "This person. Triggered by these data artifacts," as it would be in the real world.

There's no reason for the machine to be so mysterious with its warnings, other than making for a good episode plot.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
pendragn

Quote:
More dumbness with the "got a number" thing.

If the machine gave all of the data for the person, it would save Harold having to dig up exactly who this person is and the full background, starting from who does the SSN belong to. Imagine how much more useful it would be if the output was "This person. Triggered by these data artifacts," as it would be in the real world.

There's no reason for the machine to be so mysterious with its warnings, other than making for a good episode plot.
The reason for it to be mysterious is to keep the information from falling into the wrong hands. If someone overhears the phone conversation with a name and a bunch of details potentially they could do something with that. If they overhear a phone coversation of someone listing three books it's almost impossible for them to figure out what's going on.

tk

Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #48
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
The reason for it to be mysterious is to keep the information from falling into the wrong hands. If someone overhears the phone conversation with a name and a bunch of details potentially they could do something with that. If they overhear a phone coversation of someone listing three books it's almost impossible for them to figure out what's going on.
There are much, much better ways of encryption than the Dewey Decimal System. Detective Freamon could have broken this one.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #49
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
There are much, much better ways of encryption than the Dewey Decimal System. Detective Freemon could have broken this one.
I'll bite - who's detective Freemon?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #50
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

Lester Freamon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30vi0c6.jpg (33.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_llrd3aNuq11qka2xxo1_500.jpg (70.8 KB, 99 views)
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #51
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Quote:
Lester Freamon.
Ah - a letter makes all the difference. I had googled Freemon, not Freamon.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #52
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Ah - a letter makes all the difference.
So very true.

Spoiler:

*Spoiled for possible offensive word to some.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote