TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
dave_d

How long is pairing supposed take?

Hi all,

So I was just trying to set up my Tivo premier. Quick question, once I call into comcast to activate my cable card how long should it take my Tivo to pair with it? (I'm going to guess it's probably almost instantly but currently it's not paired. I know on one of the cable card screens there's some value called "ver" that's currently 0x00. The rep on my second call to them mentioned that means it isn't paired yet.)
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
Hi all,

So I was just trying to set up my Tivo premier. Quick question, once I call into comcast to activate my cable card how long should it take my Tivo to pair with it? (I'm going to guess it's probably almost instantly but currently it's not paired. I know on one of the cable card screens there's some value called "ver" that's currently 0x00. The rep on my second call to them mentioned that means it isn't paired yet.)
Should happen within a few minutes if they get it right. Generally, the phone techs are not well trained on this so their standard response when it doesn't work is "We can schedule a technician visit". Around here that costs $25.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
dave_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Should happen within a few minutes if they get it right. Generally, the phone techs are not well trained on this so their standard response when it doesn't work is "We can schedule a technician visit". Around here that costs $25.
Well not included in that cost would be the whole "you have to blow a day off" of course. Oh well, the last phone tech said either a technician or try swapping it for another cable card. (That was after my third call. Guess I'll try another cable card.)
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Well not included in that cost would be the whole "you have to blow a day off" of course. Oh well, the last phone tech said either a technician or try swapping it for another cable card. (That was after my third call. Guess I'll try another cable card.)
Not to discourage you, but the first technician install I had took two days. The first self-install I had took three cards and a dozen tech phone calls. That is with a cable company that uses Tivo Premieres as their lease option.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

dave_d, who is your provider?

My self-install with Comcast took two cards and perhaps half-a-dozen calls. TiVo customer support was great, while the people on the phones at Comcast were ... not. (The people at my local office didn't give me any grief about swapping the old card for a new one, but they don't know diddly, so there's no telling if they just handed that card out to some other poor fool.)

Once I finally convinced Comcast that I had a new card and we needed to UNpair the old card, and then pair the new one, as lillevig says, it worked pretty quickly. So quickly that I was annoyed I had farted around so long trying to get the bad card to work.
murgatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
dave_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
dave_d, who is your provider?

My self-install with Comcast took two cards and perhaps half-a-dozen calls. TiVo customer support was great, while the people on the phones at Comcast were ... not. (The people at my local office didn't give me any grief about swapping the old card for a new one, but they don't know diddly, so there's no telling if they just handed that card out to some other poor fool.)

Once I finally convinced Comcast that I had a new card and we needed to UNpair the old card, and then pair the new one, as lillevig says, it worked pretty quickly. So quickly that I was annoyed I had farted around so long trying to get the bad card to work.
Oh sorry I forgot to mention it. Yes, it's Comcast. So I took the rep's advice and just got a new card. Fortunately I found out there's another office that's 5 minutes from my work and it's not too busy so I managed to swap it, go to Dunkins and get back to my office in under 1/2 an hour.(Vs. waiting for the weekend because the office close to my home closes before I get home from work.) I'm going to try the new card later in the week. (Hopefully this time it goes better but you'd think since I'm calling the Cable Card Hotline it would have worked out better.)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
billbillw

My experience with Comcast was mixed. First one took about 30+ minutes on the phone, reboots, etc. finally paired. 2nd one was very fast, took about 5-10 minutes on the phone and it was paired. 3rd time, I had to pair two for my S3 OLED. One of the cards turned out to be bad, so it was multiple calls, frustration. Swapped the card a day later and it was a 5-min call to get the last card working.

Good luck.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
rainwater

If they tell you it should start working in another hour, then it is just an attempt to get you off the phone. It shouldn't take longer than a minute if they do it correctly.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Oh sorry I forgot to mention it. Yes, it's Comcast. So I took the rep's advice and just got a new card. Fortunately I found out there's another office that's 5 minutes from my work and it's not too busy so I managed to swap it, go to Dunkins and get back to my office in under 1/2 an hour.(Vs. waiting for the weekend because the office close to my home closes before I get home from work.) I'm going to try the new card later in the week. (Hopefully this time it goes better but you'd think since I'm calling the Cable Card Hotline it would have worked out better.)
There's a ton of useful information in the dedicated Comcast cable card thread. Also, if your Premiere came with an installers' instruction sheet like the one in I have for my TiVoHD, make sure you follow all the steps and don't skip stuff.

If I ran a Comcast franchise, I would set up a room with cable outlets, TVs, and telephones, so people could bring in their TiVos and set them up in the office. That way you could test the Cablecard activation in a setting with a standard setup in a known location. It would rule out any problems with splitters, bad building wiring, etc. Customers who need help setting up their entire system could still get a truck roll, but having a technician in the office would save the travel time between customers. You could serve more people with fewer techs.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
brewman

It's all about CSR roulette. If you get a competent CSR on the phone at the cable co. then it you should be watching ESPN and sipping a beer in short order, but if not (and the odds don't favor you) then it can be an ordeal.
brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman View Post
It's all about CSR roulette. If you get a competent CSR on the phone at the cable co. then it you should be watching ESPN and sipping a beer in short order, but if not (and the odds don't favor you) then it can be an ordeal.
Come on now, we all know that some of it relies on the customer reading the various numbers correctly as well! Some people just can't read a string of numbers...
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
dave_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman View Post
Yup, you were right. Got the new card this week. Called up Comcast and followed the instructions that guy gave me. He went off for a bit to do some stuff, came back and a moment later the TV screen showed some message that basically told me it was pairing which was a really good sign.(Since I had never seen a message like that before when I tried the other card.) Whole call took around 10 minutes. Anyway turned off the Tivo, had some dinner and came back and what do you know it works. Guess it was my lucky day
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
If they tell you it should start working in another hour, then it is just an attempt to get you off the phone. It shouldn't take longer than a minute if they do it correctly.
This. I've had at least 4 cards paired with Comcast on Tivos and an HD Homerun Prime and if it's done correctly all channels come in within a minute or two of pairing. The 'it takes up to an hour' line is CSR BS.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
dave_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
This. I've had at least 4 cards paired with Comcast on Tivos and an HD Homerun Prime and if it's done correctly all channels come in within a minute or two of pairing. The 'it takes up to an hour' line is CSR BS.
Very true, I saw the message automatically come up on screen telling me it had gotten a signal and was trying to pair right after the guy got back to me. (Previously nothing happened when they supposedly paired it.) I pretty much figured I was free and clear at that point and went off to have dinner. Oh well, next stop is swapping the drives. (Because whatever my premier 4 has it isn't a 2tb drive )
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
buscuitboy

I JUST had two S-cards paired with a Series 3 TiVo this past weekend and amazingly, it didn't take long at all for me. About 20mins total for both cards to be paired on the one machine. Even though they said it could take up to 45mins to fully propagate, all channels and premiums (HBO, SHowtime) showed up pretty much right away.

Not sure if I get a competent rep, but amazingly each time has been better & smoother than the last when I Contact the self-install number (877-405-2298). I also always think I'm gonna run into a snag and/or confusion on their end when I have to inform & explain to them that its TWO cable cards going into ONE TiVo, but they got it right this time and rather quickly too.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
lew2

On Saturday I spent more time standing in line at the Comcast store to pick up an Mcard (>1hr) than it took to pair it up with my new Premiere. Called the activation hotline, the lady walked me through pairing, and the card paired up immediately. She did say it could take up to 45 minutes for channels to show up, but verified the card showed as paired and validated. Total call time was 7 minutes. After about 45 minutes the channels showed up; I did finish the channel selection and the Tivo had to do a restart something else in the interim so it might have "took" sooner, I wasn't sitting there with a stopwatch.

Sure beat the two service calls over multiple days that it took to pair my Tivo HD three years ago.
lew2 is offline   Reply With Quote