TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
xfm

Stuck in Guided Setup

Lost my FIOS in hurricane Sandy. Hooked up my Series 3 to antenna, but was originally set up for cable only. Went into GS to change to antenna but get mired down when it needs to contact TiVo since I have no Internet or phone service. Unable to back out of GS. Tried unplugging, rebooting but keep getting sent back to GS. HELP!!!
Panasonic TH58PZ800 TV
Panasonic TH50PX75U TV
Sony ES AVR
3xHarmony One Remotes
Multi-Room viewing/control via Cat-5e
xfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfm View Post
Lost my FIOS in hurricane Sandy. Hooked up my Series 3 to antenna, but was originally set up for cable only. Went into GS to change to antenna but get mired down when it needs to contact TiVo since I have no Internet or phone service. Unable to back out of GS. Tried unplugging, rebooting but keep getting sent back to GS. HELP!!!
As far as is known the only way out of GS is to complete it.

If you have no internet, how are you posting here?

Some kind of fancy cell phone?

Can you hook it to a computer to serve as a sort of modem and set the computer up for internet sharing?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
xfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
As far as is known the only way out of GS is to complete it.

If you have no internet, how are you posting here?

Some kind of fancy cell phone?

Can you hook it to a computer to serve as a sort of modem and set the computer up for internet sharing?
thanks for the response. I posted on my iPhone. Took my S3 to my daughters house who just got her power back and now going through the agonizingly slow GS process via her Internet. Lesson learned -- can't do GS without phone or Internet.
Panasonic TH58PZ800 TV
Panasonic TH50PX75U TV
Sony ES AVR
3xHarmony One Remotes
Multi-Room viewing/control via Cat-5e
xfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfm View Post
thanks for the response. I posted on my iPhone. Took my S3 to my daughters house who just got her power back and now going through the agonizingly slow GS process via her Internet. Lesson learned -- can't do GS without phone or Internet.
Here's a suggestion: Save a copy of the image now that it has been set up for OTA. Do the same after you get cable back and rerun Guided Setup for it. That way you have both versions and can just re-image the drive the next time we get a storm of the century. Even better would be to have a second drive with the "other" image as a backup on the shelf. A 250GB drive can't be all that expensive.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Here's a suggestion: Save a copy of the image now that it has been set up for OTA. Do the same after you get cable back and rerun Guided Setup for it. That way you have both versions and can just re-image the drive the next time we get a storm of the century. Even better would be to have a second drive with the "other" image as a backup on the shelf. A 250GB drive can't be all that expensive.
Or better yet, do GS for BOTH, OTA and cable. Then disable the channels you don't want. That how my boxes are set up.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Or better yet, do GS for BOTH, OTA and cable. Then disable the channels you don't want. That how my boxes are set up.

Won't help me because OTA is basically non-existant here but a good idea for others.