TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.77 average.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #721
namwoljr

Quick MoCA question for the folks here:

So I bought an ActionTec adapter and installed it in the living room where my router is, hooked up my Mini via coax on the other side of the house, and the MoCA connection worked no problem. The Mini obviously doesn't need a MoCA adapter on its end, because it's built in.

If I were to buy another MoCA adapter and put it next to the Mini and take the coax coming in from the wall, plug it into the Coax In port, and then connect the Mini to the adapter via the TV/STB Out port, would the MoCA connection still work? The reason I might want to do this is to use the Ethernet port out of the MoCA adapter next to the Mini and connect it to an Apple TV, or if I'm feeling ambitious, another wireless router to create a wireless extender via a hardwire backbone.

I just don't know how smart these adapters are, or if MoCA passes through from the Coax In port to the TV/STB port. I'm assuming it might since some people have commented about the need to put a POE filter in-between their MoCA adapter and Modem because of interference issues.

Any input would be much appreciated!

namwoljr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #722
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by namwoljr View Post
If I were to buy another MoCA adapter and put it next to the Mini and take the coax coming in from the wall, plug it into the Coax In port, and then connect the Mini to the adapter via the TV/STB Out port, would the MoCA connection still work? The reason I might want to do this is to use the Ethernet port out of the MoCA adapter next to the Mini and connect it to an Apple TV, or if I'm feeling ambitious, another wireless router to create a wireless extender via a hardwire backbone.
Oddly, Actiontec adapters don't pass the moca signal through the RF-out connection. But there are options, depending on how ambitious you decide to get:

- Split the coax, with one leg going to the Mini and the other to the adapter.

- Connect a cheap ethernet switch (or router in bridge/AP mode) to the moca adapter and plug everything into that.

- Search for the ECB3500T01, a moca adapter with 4 ethernet ports.

- Search for the WCB3000N01, a moca adapter with 2 ports but also acts as a wireless extender.

The top two are the cheapest if you already have some of the equipment. The bottom two options reduce the amount of hardware (one adapter instead of an adapter + a switch/router).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 02-15-2015 at 10:05 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #723
namwoljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Oddly, Actiontec adapters don't pass the moca signal through the RF-out connection. But there are a few good options:

- Split the coax with one leg going to the Mini and the other to the adapter.

- Connect a cheap ethernet switch (or router in bridge/AP mode) to the moca adapter and plug everything into that.

- Search for the ECB3500T01, a moca adapter with 4 ethernet ports.

- Search for the WCB3000N01, a moca adapter with 2 ports but also acts as a wireless extender.
Looks like a splitter would be the ticket for me here. I actually thought of that after submitting my previous post, but still good to know for sure whether or not MoCA is passed through the RF-out connection. If only the Mini could act as a bridge, I wouldn't need even need a second ActionTec adapter...

Anyhow, time to put that spare wireless N router to good use and blanket my house with wireless internet!

namwoljr is online now   Reply With Quote