TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
steeleno12

Taking tivo shows on the road

I am trying to figure out a way to take my recorded tivo shows on the road with me when I am in my RV.

Here are some odds and ends that might help you answer me:

I usually do not have a strong enough internet signal for streaming so the options like Tivo to Go or Romio will not be a solution for me.

I have a Series 2 TiVo

I have a Sony Blu Ray DVD player that I think has a USB input port

I have a Vizio TV that has HDMI

I have an iMac that I can move my tivo shows to and then move it to another device for transport

I do not have a laptop that I can move my Tivo shows and hook up to the Vizio TV

Could I move the TiVo shows to an external HDD and play using the blu-ray player or TV? Or is there another way that someone can recommend?
steeleno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

I am considering something similar, and I just plan to take the TiVo with me. But I have lots of TiVos laying around, so if the road vibration ruins it I have lots of replacements. I imagine if it it did have trouble it would only be hard drive replacement required anyway, so not a big deal.

I wouldn't take my lifetimed (actually evaluation ) Premieres though, as too much money to replace in case of damage or theft.

Of coarse that is all based on the 110 household current being available at the RV parks.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Um, I thought of a couple of options in like 5 minutes: (ok, some are ridiculous )

1. If the sony blu-ray supports playing the right kinds of media files, and can read thumb and/or hard drives, then you could convert em to something it can digest and them dump em onto a thumb drive or portable drive as supported. Go look up your model!

2. There are tons of little media players out there... either attach a thumb drive, or a hard drive to them and they can play lots of different formats. They'd need to be converted from .tivo files before being copied over, a separate discussion.

3. Load it up with shows and bring the Imac with you.

4. Bring the tivo with you

5. Get another tivo, load it up and bring it with you

6. Buy an android tablet, convert programs and copy to it... watch on tablet.

7. Buy an android tablet that will output to HDMI, convert programs and copy to it... watch on your tv.

8. Buy an Ipad and load it up w/ shows via Stream/Roamio before you leave

9. Buy a laptop.

10. Install another computer in the rv

11. Copy shows to Imac. Convert, burn to disk. Play on blu-ray player.

12. Get a stream/roamio and an ipad w/ 3g/4g wireless. Download shows via Ipad tivo app on the road. Watch on Ipad.

13. Get a wireless 3g/4g hotspot, a roamio/stream and a wifi Ipad. Download shows via tivo app on the road. Watch on Ipad
-Mini
-Stream
-Comcast/TiVo Mutant dvrs - RIP
-2x Upgraded Series 2 - Retired
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
steeleno12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Um, I thought of a couple of options in like 5 minutes: (ok, some are ridiculous )

1. If the sony blu-ray supports playing the right kinds of media files, and can read thumb and/or hard drives, then you could convert em to something it can digest and them dump em onto a thumb drive or portable drive as supported. Go look up your model!

2. There are tons of little media players out there... either attach a thumb drive, or a hard drive to them and they can play lots of different formats. They'd need to be converted from .tivo files before being copied over, a separate discussion.

3. Load it up with shows and bring the Imac with you.

4. Bring the tivo with you

5. Get another tivo, load it up and bring it with you

6. Buy an android tablet, convert programs and copy to it... watch on tablet.

7. Buy an android tablet that will output to HDMI, convert programs and copy to it... watch on your tv.

8. Buy an Ipad and load it up w/ shows via Stream/Roamio before you leave

9. Buy a laptop.

10. Install another computer in the rv

11. Copy shows to Imac. Convert, burn to disk. Play on blu-ray player.

12. Get a stream/roamio and an ipad w/ 3g/4g wireless. Download shows via Ipad tivo app on the road. Watch on Ipad.

13. Get a wireless 3g/4g hotspot, a roamio/stream and a wifi Ipad. Download shows via tivo app on the road. Watch on Ipad
Ignad,

Question, if I were to get another TiVo just to use to offload my shows for transportation to the RV, do I need to register it and pay a monthly charge just to see it on my network for transferring?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleno12 View Post
Ignad,

Question, if I were to get another TiVo just to use to offload my shows for transportation to the RV, do I need to register it and pay a monthly charge just to see it on my network for transferring?
Yes.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
steeleno12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Yes.
Damn, was hoping to hear something different. Thanks for the reply though!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleno12 View Post
Damn, was hoping to hear something different. Thanks for the reply though!
You could get a Series 2 TiVo with lifetime service for < $100.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

In some cases... a whole lot less... here's "completed listings" on ebay, sorted low to high so you can get an idea what they are going for.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...fetime&_sop=15
-Mini
-Stream
-Comcast/TiVo Mutant dvrs - RIP
-2x Upgraded Series 2 - Retired
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
steeleno12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
In some cases... a whole lot less... here's "completed listings" on ebay, sorted low to high so you can get an idea what they are going for.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...fetime&_sop=15
Thanks for the info, I am checking back in to share what I ended up doing. I purchased a small portable HDD and a WD Live TV Streaming Media Player.

I use a kmttg to decrypt and encode the tivo files to mp4 and then transfer to the portable HDD. I now have all my Tivo recorded shows and other movies that I want to view with me in the RV.

Cost for the WD SMP was $85 and can be connected to any TV using either HDMI or composite cables. Works like a charms, offers great flexibility.