TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
bluebsh

How is the Hard drive / fan noise?

I am looking at upgrading from my Series 3 to a Premier XL4.. The S3 made enough noise that I refused to put it in a room like a bedroom, how are the current Tivo XL4's noise wise? Are the current DVR Hard drives still a bit noisy or did they bring the sound levels down? And does the XL4 have a fan on it like the S3 had? If so does it make much noise? thanks!
bluebsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It's all relative.

I have a Tivo HD and a Premiere in my bedroom.
The Premiere is not activated so I do not leave it powered up.
But I can tell you that my Tivo HD is whisper quiet while the Premiere is much louder.

And I have no doubt that there will be others that claim the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes, I think the Premiere is a little quieter than the S3 boxes. But this could also be because of the 5 platter, 1TB drives I had in my S3 boxes(My GFs now). But either way I can still easily hear the fan and hard drive from any Premiere or S3 box from 15 to 20 feet away in a quiet room.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
bluebsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes, I think the Premiere is a little quieter than the S3 boxes. But this could also be because of the 5 platter, 1TB drives I had in my S3 boxes(My GFs now). But either way I can still easily hear the fan and hard drive from any Premiere or S3 box from 15 to 20 feet away in a quiet room.
ah, ok... so I am going to probably go back to my main plan to put XL4 in the living room, use MoCA and hopefully when the Tivo Mini (The IP-STB) comes out put that in the bedrooms and just share a tuner... we haven't heard much about the mini for a while have we?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebsh View Post
we haven't heard much about the mini for a while have we?
Nope.

And based on the Stream's engineering, I suspect the Mini will incorporate a fan.

Some people have claimed that their Stream is noisy.

We'll just have to wait and see.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Nope.

And based on the Stream's engineering, I suspect the Mini will incorporate a fan.

Some people have claimed that their Stream is noisy.

We'll just have to wait and see.
For what the Mini will do there are certainly chips capable of doing everything it needs without using a fan. The Roku2 doesn't have a fan. But I also don't know how much heat adding MoCA to the device adds either.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Normally, I don't even hear the Premiere that is in my bedroom but the other morning it did a VCM update (whatever that is) at about 6 AM and made the hard drive chatter like crazy.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
For what the Mini will do there are certainly chips capable of doing everything it needs without using a fan. The Roku2 doesn't have a fan. But I also don't know how much heat adding MoCA to the device adds either.
FWIW MOCA adapters like the actiontec do not have a fan. It will be nice to have a fanless design on Mini.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
bluebsh

While we are on the topic of MoCA... Who all makes the network to moca bridge devices? I want one that can be wall mounted in my wiring closet... the whole house has Cat5e and coax, but I wanted to keep the tivo's on moca and just use the moca bridge for the network access to the tivos..

I already have a reverse path filter on my incoming cable drop for MoCA. Is actiontech still the main player, or has anyone else come into the market that has a good network to coax bridge? thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebsh View Post
Is actiontech still the main player, or has anyone else come into the market that has a good network to coax bridge? thanks!
I have FIOS which uses both actiontec and westell routers with MOCA builtin. I have an actiontec router, westell router configured to use as a MOCA bridge, and a few these http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=192 on my network.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote