TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
DAF54

Soon to be Roamio owner Cable Card question

Hi all. I should have my Roamio within the next week to 10 days. I currently have a Motorola "M" cable card activated and working in my Sony DHG DVR. When my Roamio arrives, can I simply pop it in to the Roamio or will I need to waste untold hours on the phone with my cable provider to "pair" the card to the Roamio? Thanks for any help.
DAF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Depends, who is your service provider. Pairing is not the same issue, for most, as it was years ago.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
tarheelblue32

You should be able to use that same card in the Roamio, but whether or not you will have to go through the pairing process over the phone with your cable company depends on who your cable company is. For example, if you have Time Warner, then you will have to pair the card to get anything other than local broadcast channels; but if you have Comcast, you would only have to pair the card to receive premium channels like HBO or Showtime.

The pairing process might not be as painful as you think though. I'm on Time Warner, and since they maintain a dedicated CableCard pairing hotline, the people you get by calling that number generally know what they are doing when it comes to CableCards. It only took me about 5 minutes on the phone with them to pair a card to my Roamio.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
DAF54

I am in Springfield, MO and have MediaCom cable. I do not have any premium channels and am required to use the CC to access HD programming.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
but if you have Comcast, you would only have to pair the card to receive premium channels like HBO or Showtime.
You also need to get it paired if you want to use Xfinity On Demand.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
squiddohio

In the past few years, I have called Time Warner to pair cable cards and tuning adapters and each time the folks on the other end of the line knew what they were doing and got everything working in 10 or 15 minutes. Just be sure to call the national number, not the local number. I would hope that other providers are as up to date. When the first HiDef TiVos came out, this process took forever, and required a technician to drive his truck to the house (that's a two or three day delay right there) in order to hand me a cable card. Then he would make a phone call that could take an hour. My last two Tivos were up and running in an hour because I get the card from them before the device is delivered and I make the call.
Good luck, but even at an hour or two, it's worth it.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
JohnnyO
Crimper

The OP replied that Medicom is the service provider. I don't have experience with them.

If you have a Motorola M-Card, that is a good sign, as most issues (from what I read here) have been with Cisco-based systems. Also -- do you have SDV, which requires a Tuning Adapter? I've also read that those can cause extra heartache.

I'm on Comcast, also on a Motorola system with an M-card. When I migrated from an older TiVo to the Roamio I was able to re-pair my card to the new device with a single phone call to Comcast's cable-card hotline. It went smoothly and took under 10 minutes, including wait time. Hopefully someone will chime in here to say if MediaCom has a cable card hotline.

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
DAF54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Also -- do you have SDV, which requires a Tuning Adapter? I've also read that those can cause extra heartache.

John
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not sure what SDV means. If you mean standard definition video, then yes. It's channels 2-100. My HD channels are in the 700 range. I can receive SD channels and my local HD channels simply by plugging the cable into my TVs. To receive the HD channels, I need to use the CC and either the set-top box or a DVR that accepts CCs.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
rcandsc
Tivo is a verb

I lived in Springfield, MO until 2009, and had an M card that I used with a TIVO HD through Mediacom.

Their cable card support in 2009 was light years from what it was when I first called for two cards for my original TIVO Series 3.

The last time I called them for the TIVO HD unit, the entire process took approximately 20 minutes from start to finish (no tuning adapter at that time, not sure if they are using them now).

Congrats on the new Roamio!
TIVO Mini w/MOCA
rcandsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
javabird

SDV is Switched Digital Video - Here's an explanation of how it works:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ideo-works.htm
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
tarheelblue32

It sounds like OP isn't using a tuning adapter with his current CableCard device, so his cable provider probably doesn't use tuning adapters/switched digital video (SDV). At least that's one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-13-2014 at 12:01 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
worachj

CableCARDs: Cable Company Support and Contact Info

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2747