TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
rstew

Series 2 Dual Tuner Antenna Compatible?

Folks, I can tell I am way over my head in this forum, but am hoping you can tell me what to do. We have never had cable; when we went with the big screen TV a few years ago, we went with a Series 2 Dual Tuner Tivo. Worked fine. Has now not worked in a long, long time. My techie sister was here this weekend, and started from ground zero, and finally concluded the device simply was not getting any signal from the antenna. Her research concluded that this particular tivo model is not compatible with the antenna. That doesn't completely make sense, b/c it worked at one point. The only thing that changed since then was the digital conversion in 2009 (all our TVs are HD so we do not have a converter box) and we added a PS3 to the system last Xmas.
any ideas? do I need to start from scratch and get a different Tivo? Help!
rstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The S2 Dual Tuner is a cable only Tivo. No antenna input.

I would look into getting a TivoHD.
If you want a box you know will be supported in the future, look into the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstew View Post
Folks, I can tell I am way over my head in this forum, but am hoping you can tell me what to do. We have never had cable; when we went with the big screen TV a few years ago, we went with a Series 2 Dual Tuner Tivo. Worked fine. Has now not worked in a long, long time. My techie sister was here this weekend, and started from ground zero, and finally concluded the device simply was not getting any signal from the antenna. Her research concluded that this particular tivo model is not compatible with the antenna . That doesn't completely make sense, b/c it worked at one point. The only thing that changed since then was the digital conversion in 2009 (all our TVs are HD so we do not have a converter box) and we added a PS3 to the system last Xmas.
any ideas? do I need to start from scratch and get a different Tivo? Help!
The Series 2 DT was never meant to be used with an OTA antenna, it worked for you on CH 2-13 because cable and OTA used the same CHs. When OTA went Digital you lost all ability to receive OTA TV with that TiVo and any other Series 2, you must go to any model of the Series 3 or Series 4 to get OTA digital and use a TiVo.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
rstew

Thank you!

Thank you both for telling me not only which model to get in teh future, but also why this happened. Poorer but wiser!
rstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstew View Post
when we went with the big screen TV a few years ago, we went with a Series 2 Dual Tuner Tivo.
TIVO unloaded the dual tuner series 2 on the public knowing full well it would turn into a brick after the digital conversion.
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
TIVO unloaded the dual tuner series 2 on the public knowing full well it would turn into a brick after the digital conversion.
What a pile of BS. The Series 2 DT never worked with OTA so the OTA digital conversion had no effect on it.

Granted many cable companies are moving to all or mostly all digital cable for various reason but that still does not "brick" a Series 2 DT. If the cable company goes 100% digital it will turn it into a single tuner DVR as it can still be used with a cable STB and still works just fine to control a Satellite STB.

Get your facts straight before you post.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote