TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Tivo and Dish/DirecTV - Possible

So, I'm tired of overpaying my cable company (mediacom) and wasting my time with these guys. Is it REMOTELY possible for me to get my premiere & premiere 4 working with either of these? It's time for a change. If not, well, then I'll stick it out till my contracts expire, but hopefully it is possible to do, somehow?
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
SullyND
L: 14-49

Premiere is Cable/OTA only. Premiere 4/XL4 is Cable only.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

So, that's a no.
Ok, I kind of figured that's what the answer would end up being, was hoping it wouldn't though.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you are serious about getting a Tivo to work with DirecTV/Dish, you would need to find a Series 2. They aren't being sold any more, but you can try Ebay or CraigsList.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
If you are serious about getting a Tivo to work with DirecTV/Dish, you would need to find a Series 2. They aren't being sold any more, but you can try Ebay or CraigsList.
And wouldn't be HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
DirecTV offers the THR22-100, which is running Tivo software. It's HD. It's an extra charge each month to lease it, and it doesn't do anything fancy (no MRV, for example) but it works better than the regular DirecTV DVR.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
billbillw

I think you'd find that DirecTV would come out about as much as your cable bill for equivalent programing. Dish might be a bit cheaper, but the only way you will truly save money is to install an antenna and go OTA only and supplement with Hulu Plus or Netflix Streaming.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
And wouldn't be HD
Correct, which is why it's not even an option. I HAVE a series 2 box, but it's not even a viable option in today's world

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
DirecTV offers the THR22-100, which is running Tivo software. It's HD. It's an extra charge each month to lease it, and it doesn't do anything fancy (no MRV, for example) but it works better than the regular DirecTV DVR.
I wouldn't pay DirecTV, or anyone else, honestly for something I have already purchased and own myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
I think you'd find that DirecTV would come out about as much as your cable bill for equivalent programing. Dish might be a bit cheaper, but the only way you will truly save money is to install an antenna and go OTA only and supplement with Hulu Plus or Netflix Streaming.
I don't care about cost (I typically pay my cable co around $150, $200 a month). Unfortunately not everything is on Hulu or Netflix, and there are channels that just never will be . HBO will never put their content there, FX will only put a bit of it there, AMC, almost any advanced cable network isn't going to put their shows there, because they would kill their subscription model.

I guess I should reclarify my first post .
By overpaying the cable company, I take into account the amount of time that I have to actually spend on the phone with them. I typically have to call numerous times just to get them to give me a damn ppv, and fight through the swarms of "we can't do that because you don't have a box" responses. Doing so Sunday cost me around 3 hours of time (which, for someone in my profession isn't cheap by any means ). I'm just sick and tired of the monopoly.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

It sounds like you should just rent an HD box(non DVR) for something like $10 a month. That would make ordering PPV easy. It would certainly be better than spending 3 hours of time each time you want to watch a PPV event.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I got tired of paying crazy prices for cable, so I looked up what Uverse cost and then called my cable company with that information. I said "hey I can get Uverse for $xx a month and you charge me $xx a month. Why shouldn't I switch?" Ten minutes later they got back on the line and offered me $25 off and free HBO. Save me about $40 a month and the price change is permanent.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I got tired of paying crazy prices for cable, so I looked up what Uverse cost and then called my cable company with that information. I said "hey I can get Uverse for $xx a month and you charge me $xx a month. Why shouldn't I switch?" Ten minutes later they got back on the line and offered me $25 off and free HBO. Save me about $40 a month and the price change is permanent.
They don't want to lose a good consumer as yourself.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote