TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Selden

Can no longer copy shows from one tivo to another

Since about June 18, almost EVERY show I record on any of my 3 Tivos will not copy to another tivo, they all have the red circle with the diagonal line... which I think means the show is copy protected. What gives? This is true even for shows that before June 18 were NOT copy protected and I could copy (such as Lois & Clark on Hub). Is something broken in the latest Tivo service release? Is this a bug? I think this really limits the usefulness of my Tivos! I've tried restarting all three Tivos... no change.
Selden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

It's been happening a lot longer for me. Most of what I record on my S3 won't copy to the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post
Since about June 18, almost EVERY show I record on any of my 3 Tivos will not copy to another tivo, they all have the red circle with the diagonal line... which I think means the show is copy protected. What gives? This is true even for shows that before June 18 were NOT copy protected and I could copy (such as Lois & Clark on Hub). Is something broken in the latest Tivo service release? Is this a bug? I think this really limits the usefulness of my Tivos! I've tried restarting all three Tivos... no change.
Who is your cable provider and in which market?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post
Most likely this has nothing to do with TiVo. Your cable company probably just started copy-protecting everything. They could have done it by accident (it has happened before), so you may want to call and ask them about it.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Selden

I'm with Time Warner, San Diego. I contacted them and they told me it's not a problem on their end, and to contact Tivo support. But they also had this cryptic sentence in their response:

Please be advised that a CableCARD has its records protected because it does not allow you to view its content on a different TiVo.

So is there anything I can do about this, or am I out of luck with Tivo?
Selden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

Sounds like you are using Series 3/HD Tivos. TW is one of the worst abusers of the CCI byte- another TW user recently had their tansfer ability shut down as well. You have been lucky in the past, as TW had CCI set for most customers for years. I would expect you can transfer the networks- if that is copy protected they are breaking the law, otherwise they are allowed to limit this legally.

If you have (only) Premiers you can stream content between units (MRS).
Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
What sounds strange is that the OP seems to not be able to transfer shows that were recorded BEFORE there was any anti-copy flag applied.

"This is true even for shows that before June 18 were NOT copy protected and I could copy".
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

I believe that is noted at the show/series level and and necessarily an indication of what has been recorded previous to June 18. Though, I could be wrong, I would be very surprised if there was a way to flip a byte on something already on the device.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I believe that is noted at the show/series level and and necessarily an indication of what has been recorded previous to June 18. Though, I could be wrong, I would be very surprised if there was a way to flip a byte on something already on the device.
I do not believe that is accurate. The copy protection is on the recording, not the series. As usual, TWC is flat out lying about who"s responsibility this is. They either blame it on the content provider or TiVo. Now they've added CableCARD as a culprit. The only thing CableCARD has to do with it is that in order to get certified, a CableCARD device must enforce the copy protection flags.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Sorry lpwcomp- you misunderstood my comment. I was responding to gastrof, who throught the OP was perhaps saying previous recordings could not transfer.

The OP mentioned that the new episodes of a series cannot be transferred. I am saying the same thing as you- each episode is getting the flag as its recorded, so older ones in the series can be transferred, but the new ones cannot. TW cannot crawl into the TiVo and change codes.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Sorry lpwcomp- you misunderstood my comment. I was responding to gastrof, who throught the OP was perhaps saying previous recordings could not transfer.

The OP mentioned that the new episodes of a series cannot be transferred. I am saying the same thing as you- each episode is getting the flag as its recorded, so older ones in the series can be transferred, but the new ones cannot. TW cannot crawl into the TiVo and change codes.
Ah, Ok. I think the problem may be that what the OP is saying is being misinterpreted. I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is referring to recordings made prior to the 18th suddenly being copy protected. Like you, I don't see how this would be possible.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I was AF(my)K for a few days. Was only able to use my friend's computer when she wasn't.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote