TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
adbjester

HD to XL4 + 3 Premieres: MoCA question

Hi All,

First, TiVo is priority one for my TV. When DirecTV stopped supporting them years ago, I dumped a 12 year relationship with them and switched to Comcast. TiVo is the sine qua non of TV. There is no substitute.

That said, since moving to Comcast on TiVo HD units, I've had a couple pet peeves. Being booted off live TV for two kids' TV shows to record is one, and the ridiculously slow (slower than real time) speed at which things transfer between units and the TiVo Desktop is the other.

With the sale just started, I finally am biting the bullet. Tivo Premieres around the house it is. But that leads me to a question regarding networking.

The XL4 that will be the centerpiece is wired Ethernet. It will be the only 4-tuner unit. The 75 hour, 2 tuner Premiere that will be in the basement is also hard-wire Ethernet. Two upstairs bedrooms will have Premieres do NOT have Ethernet, and no way to get it. I'll have to go the MoCA route to make that work.

So, the question is, do I need to put the two units that are hard-wired to Ethernet on a MoCA adapter as well? I don't see how the data can get off the XL4 and onto the MoCA (coax) network in the first place.

The TiVo site says if it is an XL4, you don't need MoCA, so perhaps it will sense when there's MoCA talk on the coax and just deal with it.... but what about the one in the basement? It is a 2-tuner Premiere, and I'm presuming it will need a MoCA adapter if it wants to reach the XL4 or the bedroom units.

I will also have two WIRED PlayStation3 units (one each at the site of the wired TiVo units, each on the same hub).

So, if I understand correctly, I need 3 MoCA adapters, one each for the non-XL4 units, whereas the XL4 will act as a bridge.

Or, if there is a TiVo God of Serendipity, the fact that I have an XL4 acting as a bridge could mean I don't need ANY MoCA adapters?

Thanks for helping set me straight.

Jeff W
Reading, PA
adbjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

It sounds like you only need 2 moca adapters -- for the 2 boxes that don't have any wired connectivity.

The XL4 can act as a bridge to the Premieres connected to MoCA, as long as it itself is connected by wired ethernet, which it sounds like it will be.

So basically this is the setup to follow, based on your description:

XL4: wired ethernet
Basement Premiere: wired ethernet
Bedroom Premiere 1: moca adapter
Bedroom Premiere 2: moca adapter

The basement Premiere will find the moca'ed Premieres because they will obtain their network connections from the XL4 (the bridge), which has a wired ethernet connection to the router.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 01-20-2013 at 04:17 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
adbjester

Thanks! One last question, then. Will MoCA interfere with existing cable Internet service from Comcast? Or does it use a different segment of the bandwidth entirely?

Jeff
adbjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

The MoCA frequency (roughly 1GHz) is higher than the tv and internet frequencies (860MHz and lower). So as long as your home's coax cabling uses 1GHz (1000MHz) splitters, which it 90% most likely does, then it's fine.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 01-20-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Lrscpa

You will need three MoCA adapters in total. One for each of the non-XL4 units, plus one that connects to both your cable modem and router.

There is a diagram on the TiVo site that shows how to connect. Basically, the MoCA adapter sits between the cable into the house and cable modem. There is also an ethernet connection between the MoCA adapter and the router.

Don't forget to also get a POE filter, which keeps the network traffic from backing out to the line to the street (and potentially your neighbors).

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
You will need three MoCA adapters in total. One for each of the non-XL4 units, plus one that connects to both your cable modem and router.

There is a diagram on the TiVo site that shows how to connect. Basically, the MoCA adapter sits between the cable into the house and cable modem. There is also an ethernet connection between the MoCA adapter and the router.

Don't forget to also get a POE filter, which keeps the network traffic from backing out to the line to the street (and potentially your neighbors).
No, the XL4 already provides that link.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
A third would only be required if you didn't have a MoCA bridge on the network with the XL4 already is.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
cmshep222

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
No, the XL4 already provides that link.
JC...Are you sure about that?? If you are correct, I have been under the wrong impression since I bought my XL4. I thought the XL4 only acts as it's own MOCA receiver. I didn't realize the XL4 also performed the MOCA "broadcast" function as well.

Hope you are right!
cmshep222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshep222 View Post
JC...Are you sure about that?? If you are correct, I have been under the wrong impression since I bought my XL4. I thought the XL4 only acts as it's own MOCA receiver. I didn't realize the XL4 also performed the MOCA "broadcast" function as well.

Hope you are right!
The XL4 can bridge between Ethernet and MoCA or between MoCA and Ethernet. I tried mine in both directions, when I got my second Elite, and it worked fine.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The XL4 can bridge between Ethernet and MoCA or between MoCA and Ethernet. I tried mine in both directions, when I got my second Elite, and it worked fine.
I currectly have 2 Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA adaptors, one at the router and one on a 2 tuner Premiere. After reading this, I tried to disconnect the one at the router and use my Elite's MoCA bridge to get a connection to the Premiere. The 2 tuner Premiere wasn't able to "see" the Elite, even though the Elite is reporting as being in bridge mode. Do these Netgear MoCA adaptors only "see" each other or is there something I'm missing to get it to work with the Elite's brige?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
I currectly have 2 Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA adaptors, one at the router and one on a 2 tuner Premiere. After reading this, I tried to disconnect the one at the router and use my Elite's MoCA bridge to get a connection to the Premiere. The 2 tuner Premiere wasn't able to "see" the Elite, even though the Elite is reporting as being in bridge mode. Do these Netgear MoCA adaptors only "see" each other or is there something I'm missing to get it to work with the Elite's brige?
The Elite/XL4/4 needs to be connected via ethernet to be usable as a bridge for other moca devices, as in the OP's setup.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The Elite/XL4/4 needs to be connected via ethernet to be usable as a bridge for other moca devices, as in the OP's setup.
It is. It is reporting "bridge" on the network status screen as well.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
It is. It is reporting "bridge" on the network status screen as well.
Something in the setup may need to be rebooted or changed for changes to kick in. But the Tivo site describes this method on their site. See the last option of Step 1.:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/moc...ks=moca_vanity
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I was going between two Elites which had built in MoCA. And I had used two Dlink MoCA adapters to supply the Internet connection over MoCA to my Elites. Then I used the Ethernet port on one of the Elites to supply an internet connection to a two tuner Premiere. It worked fine for me, but since everything was essentially going through a 100Mb/s link on one of my Dlink MoCA adpaters, it was much slower when transferrring content concurrently from my TiVos to TiVo Desktop. So I went back to having a dedicated Ethernet connection for each TiVo and not using MoCA. If the Dlink MoCA adpater had a GigE port than I would have had better speeds when transferring to TiVo Desktop from multiple boxes concurrently.

I tried it multiple ways like with the internet link from the first ELite, or from the second Elite instead of from the Dlink MoCA adapters. They all worked but no way was as fast transferring to my TiVo Desktop PC as using a dedicated Ethernet connection to each TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 01-23-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: replaced Netgear with Dlink
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
avg99

While others may disagree with me when I first got my xl4 I used it as a moca bridge to a XL. Never had a problem with MRS or MRV, my usual transfer speed was anywhere between 75+- to 80MB. Then it happened my xl4 died and because I had the moca adapter on a switch in which my XL was one of the components was plugged into I lose part of my network. From that point forward I have always used the connect a moca adapter to the cable modem and simply use the xl4 on eithernet. My speeds are identical and I have less stress on my xl4. With the CPU speed and ram in the xl4 recording 4 channels and MRS'ing and or using TiVo desktop was actually slowing down my HDUI at times.

EA4500 linksys router
With 2 cascaded e3000 routers for wireless access and port connections
2 1G eithernet switches
Netgear moca adapters.
avg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
POLONASH

Is the XL4 the only unit that acts as a Moca bridge? I just bought a standard size 4 tuner Premier so I'd like to know if it will work as well.
POLONASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLONASH View Post
Is the XL4 the only unit that acts as a Moca bridge? I just bought a standard size 4 tuner Premier so I'd like to know if it will work as well.
Yep, either of their 4-tuner boxes will work as a bridge.