TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

premier working great

usually people/myself come here because of problems, i decided to change things up and report i have no problems with my tivo..worst thing i can remember is a lockup and reboot a few weeks ago. I do recommend rebooting every week just to keep things 'fresh' but i have no scientific basis backing up that it is beneficial..just a feeling.

carry on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

No reason to reboot every week. The Premiere will work just fine without rebooting it every week.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Mine gets unplugged every 2 weeks. I have a cleaning service that was causing problems when they moved everything to "dust" in my entertainment rack. My solution was to pull the power before they come. So everything gets a restart every 2 weeks
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Balzer

Thumbs up

Two Tivo Premieres here.. both working great.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Have had a Premiere for a year and an Elite-Lite for a couple of months. Never had a need to do a restart and don't see any reason to force one periodically.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
blackngold75

The only time my Premiere re-boots is if there is a software update or the power goes out for longer than my UPS lasts. Everything chugging along just fine...

Last edited by blackngold75 : 10-04-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
newsposter
Poster of News

i guess i play with the buttons too fast but it will lock up then and reboot..esp on the hi def guide. i have changed to SD but i needed the space meter with the season starting up again. and it does take forever for it to change so i dont change back and forth.

!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
CharlesH

I think Windows is primarily responsible for the "reboot frequently" idea. A few years ago, the Unix servers at the company I worked at at the time were rebooted once per year due to preventative maintenance on the power systems by the facilities people.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Larry M

Had my premiere for about two months now, no problems. I'm so glad I went with TiVo, should have done this a long time ago.

Larry
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
speedlaw

Hey, mine too !

I have two Sony HDD 250, and finally broke down and got a Tivo. The Sony units are great-any issues are TV Guide On Screen or a lack of support thereof by the broadcasters.

The tivo wins for listing service alone, and the dual tuners rock. The sony units date from 2006 so that is time marching on, and Sony never making another DVR in the USA.

I don't have the time or energy to go HTPC, so this is a great unit....it has massive WAF, way more than my sony or a HTPC
speedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
sharkster

Hoping not to jinx anything, I will go ahead and say that I really love my Tivo Premieres.

For almost 8 years I had a pair of Series 2 machines (one Tivo 40gb and a Toshiba SD-H400 80gb) and, for the most part, they were excellent. Well, until the last few months. Suddenly (on the same day) both of them started having major channel-changing problems. I had them hooked up with serial. Tried IR. Big problems. Tivo didn't know how to fix problem. Charter didn't know how to fix problem. It was interferring so much that I finally decided to replace them.

This March I purchased my two Premieres. I love having two tuners. Two is enough for me. I love having more space. I love that using the CableCARD gave me HD channels at no additional charge (I pay enough already, so this was a treat when the cable guy said that I now have those channels without additional charge except the $2 for one of the cards).

I also feel like they need to be restarted from time to time. When I first got mine I was having problems with locking up, particularly with one of them. But that smoothed out pretty quickly. I still restart mine from time to time - whenever I have something in the deleted folder that I cannot 'delete permanently'. Don't know why that happens, but restarting fixes it so maybe it's a sign that it's a good time to restart.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
wolfie3216

Thumbs down Lucky!

I've gone thru TWO Premieres in about a year. (Hard drives gone south). IMHO, the Series 3 is a much more reliable unit. In my experience, the quality of the machines Tivo is putting out is going downhill.

Just my 2-cents...
Wolf
wolfie3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

In my experience the quality seems the same. If there is a failure the two things most likely to have an issue is the fan and the hard drive. The same as it was for all my TiVos during the last eleven years.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
global_dev

I've had 2 premiers since mid 2010 and not had one single hardware problem yet.. none really on software either until recently with the FIOS premium channel cable card pairing, either.

One is HDUI and one is SDUI and don't really notice the speed difference either.
global_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie3216 View Post
I've gone thru TWO Premieres in about a year. (Hard drives gone south). IMHO, the Series 3 is a much more reliable unit. In my experience, the quality of the machines Tivo is putting out is going downhill.

Just my 2-cents...
Wolf
When I bought a refurbished original Series 3 I had to go through 4 units to get a working one and none of those issues where a hard drive.

Given that your failures were hard drives they really say nothing about the over all TiVo hard ware unless you believe the design is causing the drives to over heat and fail prematurely, which doesn't seem to be the case, as my Premiere runs cooler than either my original Series 3 or TiVo HD.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
phone man

Got a Premiere for OTA only when they offered it for $9.99 per month one year ago. Absolutely no problems with the premiere itself. Been using the HD menus since they improved the software and got rid of most of the lagging response to remote control commands last spring.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
Got a Premiere for OTA only when they offered it for $9.99 per month one year ago. Absolutely no problems with the premiere itself. Been using the HD menus since they improved the software and got rid of most of the lagging response to remote control commands last spring.
improved HD menu..where? lol..it's unusable for me..unfortunately i need to turn to it every once in a while to see space and it takes almost a minute or so to change sometime

!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
timatkn

2 years now going well, now I'll jinx it. Have used the HD menus all along no issues can't stand the SD menu. The only issue is when I put my cable wireless router behind the TV, for some reason it messes up the bluetooth on my TIVO slide remote. The remote/DVR was boggy until I changed the setup, I guess that is more on me than TIVO though.

T
timatkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
improved HD menu..where? lol..it's unusable for me..unfortunately i need to turn to it every once in a while to see space and it takes almost a minute or so to change sometime
You think it's bad now? You should have seen it before when only 1 core of the processor worked.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
newsposter
Poster of News

is HD menu a function of internet speed? i have 1.5 meg and maybe thats the issue?

!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
isn't the space info also on the system information screen?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
newsposter
Poster of News

no idea...i guess its worth checking out though because with tv in full swing i need it

i usually use deleted items as a guide

!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
HockeyFan

Mine is working well also. The interface UI is great.
Really enjoy that you can explore a show and view cast to find other shows to watch. Also great search options.

I had few issues. Late 2010 when purchased 'my shows' list would freeze with many shows in the list. A later update resolved that.
My hard drive was failing after year and half. Once replaced issue was resolved.
Doubling it to 2tb was worth it.
Tivo servers had issues last spring/summer with network outages for on-demand.
Customer service confirmed this.
Recently remote was not responding to commands. Replacing battery resolved this.

Much better than the cablevision and fios dvr's. Glad I chose Tivo over Moxi and HTPC.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
zubinh

I wanted to add my experience as well. Went from Series 3 HD to XL4 with Tivo Stream. First I got it at Best buy with their 4 yr warranty. Currently they are matching online competitors. Since Crutchfield doesnt charge tax when shipped to my state, I asked them to match - and they did. No sales tax on the XL4 or the warranty.

The HDUI is not as slow as I thought it would be. Certainly not as fast as my old S3 but not a deal breaker. I love love love the Fios Moca connection. I plugged my PS3 into the XL4's ethernet and now my Amazon Instant video streams super fast with no bufferring at all!

To top it all off downloading my recorded shows to my iphone just before I go to bed and having the shows there on the train ride to work is the icing on the cake.

Thank you Tivo!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #25
retired_guy

My S4 XL and Elite have been working great also. And with an early release of the next update, I've finally converted from the SD menus to HD. The improvement in Season Pass modifications by doing them in the background finally did it for me, along with improvements in response time for the HD menus.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I love my 2 Premieres so much (1 w/cablecard, 1 w/OTA only) that I've just replaced our TiVoHD with a Premiere 4 and have purchased another Premiere for my daughter to replace her S2 when she graduates college next month. With the HD menus, the iPad/iPhone apps and streaming we nearly have the whole home TV setup we've longed for since getting our first TiVo over 12 years ago.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote