Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #2581
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangahm View Post
I finally had success going from the original 350G drive on my Premiere to the new WD WD20PURX 2T drive. I wasn't able to locate the WD20EURX or older WD20EURS so went with the Purple drive. The salesperson said it was the new AV standard for WD and the others were being discontinued.
What salesperson, from what (re)seller, said that?

WD told me that the EURX is still being produced, and is NOT at the end of life point, and far from it. I was also told by WD that the WD Purple PURX is NOT designed for use on non-RAID controllers, or in any PVR/DVR that only has one drive, without the controller supporting RAID. No TiVo on the market has a RAID controller, making it an unsupported use of the drive, which WD will not provide any support for, should you seek support from WD (but getting a warranty replacement is not an issue, as WD is not enforcing their own policies, at this time).

So far, only Newegg's automatic webpage notice is falsely flagging it as the AV-GP EURX "newer model", and a few marketplace sellers have assumed that is true.

Weaknees is using them in their upgraded TiVos, and upgrade drive kits. But, I suspect they might have found a way to disable the problematic TLER RAID function.

If I were forced to pick a drive other than an AV-GP EURX drive, I'd pick the WD Red (which I use), with over 2x the TB/yr rating (and the same TLER issues with non-RAID controllers). The Purple PURX is only rated 60TB/yr workload (long enough to live through WK 180-day warranty, and at a higher profit margin).
Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 AM   #2582
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

NEWS: WD renames "AV-GP" line of drives to "AV".

NEWS: WD renames "AV-GP" line of drives to "AV".

There are two WD Product SpecSheet PDFs now.

One PDF (old) is for "AV-GP", which only goes to 3TB.

The second (new) one is for "AV", which is the new name for the product refresh cycle. They dropped the "-GP". Includes 4TB model.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...879-800015.pdf

I guess "AV" sounds sportier that "AV-GP". This is further proof that they are refreshing the line. I doubt it will bring anything good to the discussions here, likely more confusion, than anything.

From the new PDF:
WD AV (formally WD AV-GP) SATA hard drives store more
hi-def audio and video than ever before – up to 4 TB. They
are optimized with SilkStream™
technology to capture data
from up to 16 simultaneous HD video streams. With 24x7
operation, low temperature, and best-in-class reliability,
WD AV hard drives are ideal for DVR/PVR and IPTV
applications. 3-year limited warranty
Old 12-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #2583
rlpowell

*UGH*. Told TiVO to disconnect the external WD thingy, and now it won't finish booting.

Will this be fixed by doing the JMFS tools thing to make the new drive, or is there another workaround?, and regardless can someone pretty please send me the bare image for the TCD746320 please?
rlpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #2584
rlpowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpowell View Post
*UGH*. Told TiVO to disconnect the external WD thingy, and now it won't finish booting.

Will this be fixed by doing the JMFS tools thing to make the new drive, or is there another workaround?, and regardless can someone pretty please send me the bare image for the TCD746320 please?
Phew. It booted, *eventually*; took like an hour.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #2585
rlpowell

Big Grin

Everything worked out in the end! Thank you so much for the great tool!