TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Pardon me while I start to have a bad feeling about all of this.

If you won't be using a PC, how do you intend to copy the original drive to the new drive?
No need to get a bad feeling since I have a PC but have never done this before so don't know how. Do you need to connect both hard drives to a PC and copy (old drive to new drive) before connecting to TiVo? I didn't think I could use a PC because I use Windows and thought all of this might be Linux based, am I wrong? Maybe you could point me to the instructions and I can look there?
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
No need to get a bad feeling since I have a PC but have never done this before so don't know how. Do you need to connect both hard drives to a PC and copy (old drive to new drive) before connecting to TiVo? I didn't think I could use a PC because I use Windows and thought all of this might be Linux based, am I wrong? Maybe you could point me to the instructions and I can look there?
Others have wrongly believed that you just put a blank drive in the TiVo and it takes care of putting the software on it.

It doesn't work that way.

(and wdidle3 is not put on the drive, it alters the firmware of a drive attached to a PC motherboard SATA controller port)

What you do is boot the PC with a bootable cd that loads a version of the Linux operating system into memory (RAM) which then controls the PC, and then use one of the programs which also get loaded to do a byte for byte copy from the original TiVo drive to the intended replacement.

If you're going to use a larger drive, you can use the jmfs cd v1.04 to do the copy and then enlarge into the extra space.

If the same size drive, I think you can use just the first part of what it does to do the copy.

Do not boot into Windows with the Premiere's drive attached.

If that PC has a GigaByte brand motherboard, say so, as there are steps that need to be taken to prevent it from screwing things up because of its tendency to put a Host Protected Area on attached drives.

And you use a bootable cd with wdidle3 on it that boots into a DOS environment.

Or you use the Ultimate Boot cd, which has wdidle3 on it (in addition to a bunch of other stuff, including the WD diagnostic software which you should run on any WD drive before putting it into service--never assume that new guarantees good)

Do you know how to burn a cd "as an image"?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
lujan

Quote:

Do you know how to burn a cd "as an image"?
I've burned DVDs & CDs from .iso files if that's what you're asking? Otherwise, it seems more complicated than I imagined.
6 DVD
Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
unitron

Quote:
I've burned DVDs & CDs from .iso files if that's what you're asking? Otherwise, it seems more complicated than I imagined.
The burning software you used should have an option to burn an .iso image as an image, rather than just as a file, and that will put the files inside the bootable cd image in the right places on the cd so that it's bootable.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #35
lujan

Quote:

You might want to look around for a less expensive 320, however, 'cause that one's mighty pricey for what you're getting.
How about going from a 320 GB drive to a 500 GB drive? Will this one work? It's only about $60.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...d_rhf_dp_p_t_1
6 DVD
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
How about going from a 320 GB drive to a 500 GB drive? Will this one work? It's only about $60.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...d_rhf_dp_p_t_1
It might, I think it's only Series 1 TiVos that don't like Caviar Blues, but...

As long as you aren't married to the idea of cloning the original drive to another of exactly the same size--320GB--, you might as well get the designed specifically for video recording and has a 3 year warranty instead of the Blue's 2 year warranty WD20EURS while Amazon still has it for only $100 w/free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-TB-Ha.../dp/B0042AG9V8

and never worry about running out of space.

We know that model works in Premieres.

Also available for the exact same money from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783