TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #361
sequestre

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
That might be a CD nobody's tried before. Thanks for the tip and the tip.
Well, my celebration was a little premature. ........

Today I picked up the m-card and TWC could not get it to pair in the Tivo. After going through a lot of troubleshooting and another m-card, the consensus is that the Tivo box has a tuner issue and I'll need to send it back to Tivo. Which means that the original 1TB drive is going back in the unit before I return it.

I think the lesson I learned here to pass along to others is to verify the equipment before making the mod.

Question for the geniuses here: Should I restripe the 4TB drive or do you think it is OK (as is) to use in the next box?

sequestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #362
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequestre View Post
Question for the geniuses here: Should I restripe the 4TB drive or do you think it is OK (as is) to use in the next box?
You can just run the Linux CD part. The drive's already tied to the prior Tivo, but it's in Roamio format already so the installer will find it and overwrite it making it untied / empty.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #363
ggieseke

I'd wipe at least the first few sectors and start over from scratch when you get the new box. Otherwise, you'll have to run C&DE and that takes forever on a big drive.

Edit: Oops, telemark beat me to the punch with a better answer.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #364
sequestre

Quote:
You can just run the Linux CD part. The drive's already tied to the prior Tivo, but it's in Roamio format already so the installer will find it and overwrite it making it untied / empty.
10-4
I usually have pretty good luck with refurbs but I guess that's the chance you take to save the bucks.
($150 for the Plus and $350 for the lifetime service)

Old 07-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #365
sequestre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I'd wipe at least the first few sectors and start over from scratch when you get the new box. Otherwise, you'll have to run C&DE and that takes forever on a big drive.

Edit: Oops, telemark beat me to the punch with a better answer.
Thanks!

Old 07-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #366
jmbach
der Neuerer

It could be the TiVo but I bet it is a TWC issue. I have been told many times it was my unit or the card by Charter and even had a truck roll. In the end, calling back enough times and going up through the different tier support I eventually find some one knowledgeable. Usually the culprit is that the person does not disassociate the card from its prior pairing and tries to input the new information. Unfortunately this does not take and the pairing fails.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #367
sequestre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
It could be the TiVo but I bet it is a TWC issue. I have been told many times it was my unit or the card by Charter and even had a truck roll. In the end, calling back enough times and going up through the different tier support I eventually find some one knowledgeable.
I can relate...
I had a similar experience with Charter when we lived in the Atlanta area.

It all comes down to the quality of customer service and how good your tech support team is.

I am an engineering manager and I am blessed to have a great team of support engineers that work for me. We deal with customers on a daily basis and we also deal with vendors to help us maintain all of our equipment in the plant. Many times we deal with multiple vendors on a single issue because their respective equipment work together very much like Tivo and TWC.

My experience this weekend has given me some new ideas to take with me when I return to work on Monday on how we can improve our CS.

Anyway, back on topic:
Tivo is (reluctantly) sending me another unit and we shall see who prevails in the finger pointing game. I have to say that over the years TWC's "cable card special support team" has never let me down. They have taught me a lot about how to read the Cisco diagnostic screens when I was setting up Ceton InfiniTV tuners for Windows Media Center.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #368
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequestre View Post
Understood.
Such is life.
Thanks.
I brought it up in your case especially since adding a 1 TB to a 4 TB is only adding around 25% ("around" since you don't have the OS overhead that is probably on the internal) more space but doubling your risk of losing it all.

If it were 2 4 TBs, I could see risking it..

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #369
sequestre

Sure, I understand what you are saying. Its just not that big of a deal to me if I loose the programs. I don't keep them that long anyway but I do record a lot of different programs. The Ceton InfiniTV 6 can do 12 shows at once and I frequently max them out. If I were really worried about loosing the data I would build a Windows Media Center with mirrored system drives and a RAID 6 disc array for the shows. It would be cool if the Tivo external could handle bigger drives. I don't really understand why Tivo has issues with large drives. Oh well, that's for a different forum.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #370
sequestre

Replacement Tivo Plus arrived today and there is now no doubt that the first one had a tuner issue. This one breezed through the setup and TWC had the Cablecard paired in a jiffy. I love a happy ending!

Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #371
larrymg2

Quote:
Thanks for the interest.

Argon is the internal codename for Roamio.
6 is probably for Pro/+
Forgive my ignorance. I don't where to download the mfsr file to format my new drive. Any assistance is most appreciated

larrymg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #372
telemark

MFSR is for new 4TB - 6TB drives going into a Roamio. Has its own thread.
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=528428

This thread is for new 4TB drives going into a Roamio. Instructions in the first post.
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=517860

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: