TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
brianric

Survivor: Phillippines 11-07-12

I guess I know who Jeff voted for President.

Amazes me how a person who by his own admission made $60 million in baseball can be so money hungry.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Go Penner!!!

I am so glad he won immunity! I was cheering for him, just so it would foul up the others game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
vman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post

Amazes me how a person who by his own admission made $60 million in baseball can be so money hungry.
Seemed to me it was more that he is ultra competitive, rather than just money hungry.

Awesome episode, from Penner winning immunity to that tribal council. I don't get what Skupin is thinking - they said repeatedly to his face they don't consider him part of their group, yet he keeps voting with them. I guess he and Lisa are convinced they can join others when they get down to 7 to knock off some of the "evil" group at that point.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
After over 20 seasons theres not a lot that shocks me on this show, but my jaw dropped when Abi blurted out that she had an HII at the slightest prompting from Jeff. A real 'what the he11 is she doing???' moment!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
bleen
Protein from the Sea

Yeah that was a most bizarre tribal council and his parting comments were great (although technically the tax rate has been in effect for quite a while so it's not Obama that's taking it from him, but I guess ya gotta blame somebody )
bleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
inaka

Quote:

Jeff Kent is the same guy who won the NL MVP, got a huge contract and then ten years ago broke his wrist after crashing his motorcycle while popping wheelies, THEN lied about it by saying he did it at a do-it-yourself carwash "washing his truck". Let's just say that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I am not sure what Jeff meant when he said something like this will go down as one of the biggest blown opportunities in tribal council history... What was the meaning of that comment?
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
brianric

Dalton's recap

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivi...hel-jeff-kent/
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
I am not sure what Jeff meant when he said something like this will go down as one of the biggest blown opportunities in tribal council history... What was the meaning of that comment?
I assume he meant the ability to blindside someone and get rid of their idol at the same time.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I took it to mean that they knew of at least one person who had an HII, and they did nothing to try to force it's play, or send Malcolm home with it in his pocket. And after having the other flushed out, no attempt to force the play of that one, either.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
I assume he meant the ability to blindside someone and get rid of their idol at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I took it to mean that they knew of at least one person who had an HII, and they did nothing to try to force it's play, or send Malcolm home with it in his pocket. And after having the other flushed out, no attempt to force the play of that one, either.
That's how I took it.

It was funny how they didn't want to believe Lisa about Malcolm having an idol. I was waiting for her to say "See, I told you!" when Malcolm pulled out the idol.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
huh...I took it to mean that they wasted a chance to vote out someone in the power alliance (Peter, Artis, Abi-Normal, Lisa?).

There was no way Malcolm was going to give up the idol. This is textbook Survivor. There were considerable fissures in all alliances. You flash your idol around before the votes and you pretty much know that you won't get a single vote going your way. He was 100% safe and did not need to play it.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Jeff explains it here:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/08/su...bst-episode-8/
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really enjoyed this episode and I am cheering for Penner, Lisa and Denise - for any one of them to get to the end. It does seem like every episode has some sort of "Best tribal ever" or "dumbest move in the history of Survivor" or such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Definitely thought he was saying that they wasted the opportunity to vote out Pete and break up that alliance.

So how STUPID are Penner and Skupin? They're both on the outs. They know that if they don't win immunity, they're the top targets. Then things happen at TC that take the pressure off them and they have a way to get into a top 6 alliance. But NEITHER OF THEM VOTED THAT WAY!!! WTF?!? Penner voted for Abi and Skupin voted for Jeff. What were they thinking?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
toddvj

I am also rooting for Penner to go all the way. I've always thought he was an excellent player, just not great at making friends. Abi is probably one of the stupidest people ever to play the game.
toddvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
pmyers

Quote:

I took that totally different, that even with his sports achievements that he is such a fan of this game that he really wanted to win Survivor.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Definitely thought he was saying that they wasted the opportunity to vote out Pete and break up that alliance.

So how STUPID are Penner and Skupin? They're both on the outs. They know that if they don't win immunity, they're the top targets. Then things happen at TC that take the pressure off them and they have a way to get into a top 6 alliance. But NEITHER OF THEM VOTED THAT WAY!!! WTF?!? Penner voted for Abi and Skupin voted for Jeff. What were they thinking?
Well Jeff was the MAIN driving force of the "get rid of the returning players" so maybe they think things could change with him gone.

Now why Penner voted for Abi, I have no idea.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I took that totally different, that even with his sports achievements that he is such a fan of this game that he really wanted to win Survivor.
That is exactly how I understood it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Well Jeff was the MAIN driving force of the "get rid of the returning players" so maybe they think things could change with him gone.

Now why Penner voted for Abi, I have no idea.
My guess is he threw away his vote so he remains an "independent" with both factions vying for his allegiance. If he can make it work, it is brilliant.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
...My guess is he threw away his vote so he remains an "independent" with both factions vying for his allegiance. If he can make it work, it is brilliant.
that was my guess as well
Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
newsposter
Poster of News

i'm so glad they didnt use the idol....showing it was enough and it would have been wasted if they did use it. 2pts to them

jeffs diary room exit was rather bizarre...he seemed..well..assish? and cbs could have easily not shown the president comment but i guess they kept it in for some reason...i had no idea the prez took 60% of the money...he can throw one heck of a party for 400K

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Obama only takes 40%, not 60

I wonder who gets the money when a republican is in office...
Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
You don't have to pay taxes on the $1M. Just ask Richard Hatch!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i'm so glad they didnt use the idol....showing it was enough and it would have been wasted if they did use it. 2pts to them

jeffs diary room exit was rather bizarre...he seemed..well..assish? and cbs could have easily not shown the president comment but i guess they kept it in for some reason...i had no idea the prez took 60% of the money...he can throw one heck of a party for 400K
He said that after Obama took the money, it would only be $600k. I didn't take that as a comment aimed at Obama. I took it as a swipe at the government. Five years ago, he probably would have said the exact same thing but replaced Obama with Bush. It was simply a swipe at how much taxes he has to pay, not at the sitting president.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

When they were leaving for TC, I paused it and my wife and I both said that this was the most pre-TC scrambling they've shown in a long time and we both loved it. Then I said, "The only thing we can be sure of is that Pete isn't going home." She said, "Why? How do you know?" I said, "Because whoever they make you think is leaving right before they go to TC is never the one that is actually going."

This time, I was hoping that things were crazy enough that I was wrong, but alas, the editors fell into their same old rut.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
pmyers

Another example of "just get through 1 more TC because you never know what can happen".
Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
He said that after Obama took the money, it would only be $600k. I didn't take that as a comment aimed at Obama. I took it as a swipe at the government. Five years ago, he probably would have said the exact same thing but replaced Obama with Bush. It was simply a swipe at how much taxes he has to pay, not at the sitting president.
ah ok i'm used to people dissing the IRS about taxes

still as much as i've watched this show, i dont recall any other specific 'important person' mentioned by name ..it really stood out for me

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
stellie93

Quote:
It was simply a swipe at how much taxes he has to pay, not at the sitting president.
But then Obama did run on increasing taxes on the rich, so fair enough to blame him. He has to have enough to pay for all those Obama phones.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote